Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Hurst Out
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 17 Guests

Hurst Out

This thread currently has 36,557 views. Print
36 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
January 22, 2022, 7:09pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,134
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from gtfc_chris
After red crossing the comments that seem popular and vice versa I'm no doubt in a minority in thinking

I'm an avid PH fan and I don't think my opinion will be changed on the person because I simply like the guys pragmatism. That said, today has left me thinking that he's a few steps onto the tight rope in terms of his management of GTFC.

The break we had for Covid was his circuit breaker in terms of trying to break the form that went before it. The 1-1 against Halifax was a decent performance without fruit, we've then gone on to lose the return fixture, beat a very poor Altrincham team, perform well in one half against a play off chasing Bromley team and then fall apart and offer little to nothing in the second and ultimately lose it which is the headline of any game.

I'm desperate for PH to succeed given how much I like the guy but there reaches a point where loyalty becomes stretched and you have to question whether he's capable to get us where we want to be, and that's where I'm now at. As someone referenced earlier, the next 7 games are huge for him given that 5 of them should - on paper - see us take the points. Paper and reality are different things but the reality is the form is manager sacking worthy at many clubs and so if he can't manage 15 from 21 in the next 7 games then even the most ardent PH supporters such as myself are clutching at straws to defend him any further.

you echo my thoughts Chris
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 351
chipsandgravy
January 22, 2022, 7:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,586
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Hagrid

Well i guarentee you we wont beat Wrexham on Tuesday

Wish I knew that before I spent £40 on tickets!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 351
chaos33
January 22, 2022, 7:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,871
Gold Stars: 353
I wouldn’t have expected to read all this angry, disproportionate t0ss this evening, but it is very difficult to repel the palpable reality. Losing twice to Bromley is poor. Really poor. Getting it wrong, tactically is really not something we should be tolerating, and the bare stats are not good are they. I like Paul. I like continuity. But I’m really disappointed and as cross as anyone with this latest result, placed in context. It’s not good enough, as we can all agree. What happens to change this is where the controversy is.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 351
kafunanapar140909
January 22, 2022, 7:15pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from gtfc_chris
After red crossing the comments that seem popular and vice versa I'm no doubt in a minority in thinking

I'm an avid PH fan and I don't think my opinion will be changed on the person because I simply like the guys pragmatism. That said, today has left me thinking that he's a few steps onto the tight rope in terms of his management of GTFC.

The break we had for Covid was his circuit breaker in terms of trying to break the form that went before it. The 1-1 against Halifax was a decent performance without fruit, we've then gone on to lose the return fixture, beat a very poor Altrincham team, perform well in one half against a play off chasing Bromley team and then fall apart and offer little to nothing in the second and ultimately lose it which is the headline of any game.

I'm desperate for PH to succeed given how much I like the guy but there reaches a point where loyalty becomes stretched and you have to question whether he's capable to get us where we want to be, and that's where I'm now at. As someone referenced earlier, the next 7 games are huge for him given that 5 of them should - on paper - see us take the points. Paper and reality are different things but the reality is the form is manager sacking worthy at many clubs and so if he can't manage 15 from 21 in the next 7 games then even the most ardent PH supporters such as myself are clutching at straws to defend him any further.

You’ll certainly be the minority on a “Hurst out” thread, but I don’t think the whole fan base is against him. There are many Hurst fans (like myself and yourself) whose faith is gradually being chipped away at, though.

I agree about the circuit breaker point. Since we started playing again we’ve beaten a team we should have beaten and twice performed well against Halifax, a team sat top/second recently in the table. Today I thought we came out the traps looking motivated and were all over Bromley at times. That second half was genuinely disappointing, though. It was like we ran out of steam.

I really don’t understand this “little Bromley” nonsense. They are fourth in the table, and a good team with a manager who might be in L1 next week. If we don’t respect the league we’re in, and the good teams in it, then we’ll never get out of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 351
gtfc_chris
January 22, 2022, 7:18pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 114

Absolutely deluded

Insightful thoughts, do you have capability to expand on this?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 351
Phil the cod
January 22, 2022, 7:22pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from kafunanapar140909

You’ll certainly be the minority on a “Hurst out” thread, but I don’t think the whole fan base is against him. There are many Hurst fans (like myself and yourself) whose faith is gradually being chipped away at, though.

I agree about the circuit breaker point. Since we started playing again we’ve beaten a team we should have beaten and twice performed well against Halifax, a team sat top/second recently in the table. Today I thought we came out the traps looking motivated and were all over Bromley at times. That second half was genuinely disappointing, though. It was like we ran out of steam.

I really don’t understand this “little Bromley” nonsense. They are fourth in the table, and a good team with a manager who might be in L1 next week. If we don’t respect the league we’re in, and the good teams in it, then we’ll never get out of it.

Someone who's seems to be avoiding any blame for this predicament we are in is the previous tool who allowed the club to spiral out of the league...

Yes folks our old friend John Shelton Fenty......the twit.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 351
kafunanapar140909
January 22, 2022, 7:28pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from Phil the cod

Someone who's seems to be avoiding any blame for this predicament we are in is the previous tool who allowed the club to spiral out of the league...

Yes folks our old friend John Shelton Fenty......the twit.

Couldn't agree with you more. When the new owners' first task is to provide training balls which are *actually round* you can appreciate what a massive task they have to turn this club around.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 351
Mariner Ronnie
January 22, 2022, 7:30pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Oooo 4 pages in a manager out thread and not a single idea of a replacement.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 351
lew chaterleys lover
January 22, 2022, 7:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,661
Gold Stars: 234
I absolutely love the idea of a long term project. It is what I have been desperate for during the ghastly Fenty years when there was no project whatsoever bar keeping cost down.

However, a long term project is not the same as keeping the first team manager come what may because he "shares our values." Managers and players come and go all the time, and stability on the playing side is absolutely no yardstick for success otherwise everybody would do it.

I think the owners are going to have to sharpen up - football is not the same as other businesses and a long term plan regarding managers and players is fraught with danger. They can be poached, they can lose form they can move on so we will have to accept that if we just keep replacing average players with new average players coached by the same average manager we will not progress on the field. It will take some serious investment even in tier 5 to have a chance of promotion.

I blame Hurst entirely for today's fiasco; to be fair the owners have said more than once that "if Paul identifies a player he wants we will certainly look at it." So how come we seem to keep getting average loan players and have to rely on a young Hull lad playing out of position? Why isn't Hurst setting his sights higher? Tshimanga was mentioned in pre-season and Hurst reacted as if it was his own money. It is up to the owners to find the investment for such a signing if that is what he needs.

We need to get extra investment into the club to be used side by side with the revenue provided by the fans to create a team of our own players we can be proud of, and accept that the playing and managerial side will always be fluid and adapt accordingly, not give the manager the impression he has a job for life however many new but average players he keeps bringing in.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 351
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
January 22, 2022, 7:32pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +830
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from promotion plaice
Bout time we started taking risks on players even if they don't fit the bill.

That's what he has been doing since he returned last season. Hence why we are mid table in the 5th tier.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 351
36 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Hurst Out

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.