Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 142 Guests

Just Back (merged)

This thread currently has 10,877 views. Print
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
January 22, 2022, 5:14pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,039
Gold Stars: 197

Yes we huffed and puffed but simply just not acceptable at this level for a club of our standing and support, end of.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Hagrid
January 22, 2022, 5:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,373
Gold Stars: 532
Not good Enough.

Did we think we’d won the game at 1-0? No urgency no fight no tactical nous. Errors gifting a bang average side 3 points. But how many weeks have we said that now?

If JMD was Injured, why the intercourse didnt we bring on Sousa or Wright. Not a Centre midfielder!? At no point in that 2nd half did we look like going to win that game. And thats not good enough.

Ive supported Paul a lot, but thats enough for me. 2 wins from 14, shithoused by teams like flipping Bromley. A midfield who cant create and 5 points off the Play offs.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 95
TAGG
January 22, 2022, 5:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,960
Gold Stars: 124
One that got away.
Should have been out of sight first 35 but no.
Decision making by our players is dismal.
I know the first substitution was probably through injury but why not Soooos or Max to come on?
Nothing against Harry but a bit more positive please Hurst.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 95
headingly_mariner
January 22, 2022, 5:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
That was the worst we’ve played at home this season. Didn’t pick the strongest 11 and made the wrong subs. Not good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 95
pontoonlew
January 22, 2022, 5:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,983
Gold Stars: 171
Hursts decision to go 3 in midfield at half time lost us a game we were well on top of.

It’s getting to the point where it can no longer be defended.

Good first half full of intent and width, Abraham’s was impressive and JMD took his goal well. Taylor looked a bit off but a great flick for the goal.

Second half we lost all width with the change which in turn exposed Smith all half. No idea what was going through Hursts head. After the winner he then switched back to the formation we had in the first half, why on earth change it in the first place?!

He has to go, this run of form isn’t a blip, it’s a rot and his managerial record in the past 3 years is nothing short of abysmal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 95
sonofmadeleymariner
January 22, 2022, 5:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 37
Two wingers on the bench but bring a CM on and move our best player who was running the show in all our attacking movements, then stand there for 35 minutes watching it not work before going hmmmm maybe I should make a sub and then waiting another 5 minutes before actually doing something about it.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 95
TAGG
January 22, 2022, 5:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Hurst has a lot to answer for today.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 95
Kris2
January 22, 2022, 5:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Just not good enough. Let go of a lead by a cheap mistake and then never looked like winning the game in the second half. Lots of huff and puff but little end product as usual and they get the chance to win it. Getting totally outgamed and outplayed by these pub teams is really not good enough.

We overreact if we win or lose, people calling others out for saying the players don't give a toss when we finally beat a team that's too crap to lose against and then we drop points to flipping Bromley. I'll assume JMD was injured and had to come off but his replacement was ineffective and we completely looked lost with the tactics in the second half. Hurst's sub phobia meant we had subs about 15 minutes after we needed to change things around and no time to really affect the game in any meaningful way. New guy should have come off way before he did, wasn't doing anything and looked blown up 10 minutes into the second half so needed to come off. Sometimes it's hard to believe we have plenty of players who have played games in higher leagues when they look lost playing against clubs like Bromley.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 95
cmackenzie4
January 22, 2022, 5:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Just can’t believe we lost (at home) when they beat us at their place (in the manner they did) where was our fight and grit ?? I’m losing my faith in Paul Hurst now, we should have been well up for this game.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 95
chipsandgravy
January 22, 2022, 5:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,597
Gold Stars: 37
Two wingers on the bench but bring a CM on and move our best player who was running the show in all our attacking movements, then stand there for 35 minutes watching it not work before going hmmmm maybe I should make a sub and then waiting another 5 minutes before actually doing something about it.

Don't ofter agree with you but on this occasion you are right. I am also still mightly depressed with the thought that we couldn't push the boat out for Hunt but a team bottom of Division 2 and almost bankrupt could. Our midfield today offered nothing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 95
hampshiremariner
January 22, 2022, 5:31pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,056
Gold Stars: 35
What gets me is the inconsistency. We looked OK against Halifax at home and some of us were thinking we'd turned the corner. But immediately we start losing again. When it looks as if some of the players are not bothered it really hurts. And when you sink to mid-table (if we are lucky) you realise that we are going to take a long time to get out of this league and, to be honest, we could sink lower. It hurts losing to Bromley. Who????
I used to talk about the heritage of this club and got rubbished by loads of correspondents on here and in the GET, but these players do not understand how important this club is to the people of NE Lincolnshire. This club has been in my blood since 1958 and to see us wallowing in the National League is soul destroying.
We seem unable to build a team which plays for the community. We exist by using the loan system and that is not a good foundation for stability. I have a mate who has been a Crewe fan for six decades and last season they had a group of good loanees and did well. They left and this season the Alex are struggling. We will never have consistency with this type of operation and it is depressingly short sighted. Am I dreaming? We lost to..... BROMLEY?????? Another Saturday night brooding and thinking why we couldn't win a game in which we took the lead. I flattens you. Really have had enough of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 95
MuddyWaters
January 22, 2022, 5:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
I know football isn’t played on paper but we’ve got much more talent in our squad than Bromley yet have got zero out of them.

Yes, they’re a bunch of shithouses but they know exactly what they’re about. I’m not sure we do.

Very poor from the manager today.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 95
It Bites
January 22, 2022, 5:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,165
Gold Stars: 259
Crocomb is dreadful , the midfield were dreadful . Hurst was dreadful . Sitting in the Osmond with 700 screaming kids was horrific
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 95
hampshiremariner
January 22, 2022, 5:40pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from It Bites
Crocomb is dreadful , the midfield were dreadful . Hurst was dreadful . Sitting in the Osmond with 700 screaming kids was horrific

If Crocombe has played international football, I must be a Dutchman.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 95
Hagrid
January 22, 2022, 5:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from It Bites

I feel for anyone in the osmand today

Midfield is dreadful i 100% agree
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 95
Mariner John
January 22, 2022, 5:42pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +629
Gold Stars: 51
Subs to late again, game after game after game. Wrong tactics, game after game after game. It has to stop. So for me bye Hurst  just nowhere near good enough in my opinion.

Already been mentioned about loanees, you can't build a future with them, once they show there talent the clubs want them back so we start again, then again etc.

I can't se a way back form him, even if the owners think he's great, as he clearly isn't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 95
davmariner
January 22, 2022, 5:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,912
Gold Stars: 79
Have been supportive of Hurst but that was dreadful. I really think he’s lost the plot. All this tinkering suggests a lack of a clear vision and idea about how this team is going to get into the play offs. 2 wins in 14 and even the most loyal Hurst supporters have to ask questions.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 95
It Bites
January 22, 2022, 5:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,165
Gold Stars: 259
And stop moaning about Shithousery ffs . It's a man's game ffs. It never got called Shithousery in my day , it was called being competitive at all costs .
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 95
TAGG
January 22, 2022, 5:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from It Bites

Know what ye mean but the double save just before half time was fookin brilliant.

GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 95
Fette Schlange
January 22, 2022, 5:50pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +1 / -3
Approval: -94
It’ll come good in end
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 95
oochiad
January 22, 2022, 5:50pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,707
Gold Stars: 27
Got beat by a better team that new how to win at all costs. I don’t know what we were playing at today. Very disappointed. We better get our excrement together for Tuesday…….
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 95
hampshiremariner
January 22, 2022, 5:51pm
Snakebite drinker
"Already been mentioned about loanees, you can't build a future with them, once they show there talent the clubs want them back so we start again, then again etc."

You've hit the nail on the head there, John. When you read the recent press reports about players being 'recalled' by clubs because they have injury problems or they think their lads are not getting enough game time. Hurst seems to spend most of his time on the phone 'negotiating' loans from other clubs or trying to persuade them not to recall someone. Waste of time and energy. I might be completely stupid and naive to say this, but why can't we have s squad of contracted players who will play their hearts out every week? The answer is finance of course but the loan system is not fit for purpose and a hand to mouth existence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 95
mariner91
January 22, 2022, 5:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,595
Gold Stars: 260
I don't doubt for a second that there are clubs in our league with far more to spend than we have. However, I'm certain that Hurst will have been given a decent budget and at the minute there is precious little to show for it.

Neither of our keepers inspire much confidence and between them are on almost £4K a week. Our defence is okay but nothing more than that. The midfield is dreadful with the only real spark being Hunt who was allowed to leave and doesn't seem to have been replaced. Why sign Burgess if he can't get in ahead of Coke who was shite again today (yes I know, he had one good game last week)? And Fox isn't much better despite a decent enough start to the season.

Up front we've got some decent players in McAtee, Taylor, Sousa, JMD and Max Wright but it's as if as soon as Hurst's teams drop any points he immediately shuts up shop. It's depressing. Early in the season we weren't perfect but the intensity of the press and players looking to do something that was positive and quick meant that at times we were very good to watch and worthy of being in the play offs or higher. Since the bad run started, I don't even know what we're trying to do so what exactly are we building?

We've signed four players in this window; two loanees and two on 6 month contracts. So what are we building? I could put up with a bad run if there was obviously a long term strategy in place but there isn't. The reality is we're a very average side in the NL and our budget and support deserves much more than that. I was a fan of Hurst previously but he clearly can't stop this rot and doesn't seem to have learned any lessons from his first stint i.e I have yet to see him make a substitution that has had a palpably positive influence in our favour. And his record in his last 100 games managed is abysmal. Time for him to go. Let someone else come in so they can really have a look at the squad and hopefully hit the ground running in time for next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 95
davmariner
January 22, 2022, 5:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,912
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from mariner91
I don't doubt for a second that there are clubs in our league with far more to spend than we have. However, I'm certain that we Hurst will have been given a decent budget and at the minute there is precious little to show for it.

Neither of keepers inspire much confidence and between them are on almost £4K a week. Our defence is okay but nothing more than that. The midfield is dreadful with the only real spark being Hunt who was allowed to leave and doesn't seem to have been replaced. Why sign Burgess if he can't get in ahead of Coke who was shite again today (yes I know, he had one good game last week)? And Fox isn't much better despite a decent enough start to the season.

Up front we've got some decent players in McAtee, Taylor, Sousa, JMD and Max Wright but it's as if as soon as Hurst's teams drop any points he immediately shuts up shop. It's depressing. Early in the season we weren't perfect but the intensity of the press and players looking to do something that was positive and quick meant that at times we were very good to watch and worthy of being in the play offs or higher. Since the bad run started, I don't even know what we're trying to do so what exactly are we building?

We've signed four players in this window; two loanees and two on 6 month contracts. So what are we building? I could put up with a bad run if there was obviously a long term strategy in place but there isn't. The reality is we're a very average side in the NL and our budget and support deserves much more than that. I was a fan of Hurst previously but he clearly can't stop this rot and doesn't seem to have learned any lessons from his first stint i.e I have yet to see him make a substitution that has had a palpably positive influence in our favour. And his record in his last 100 games managed is abysmal. Time for him to go. Let someone else come in so they can really have a look at the squad and hopefully hit the ground running in time for next season.

To be fair, he did bring on Max Wright at home to Halifax who put in a brilliant cross for the equaliser, and did something similar for the winner away at Woking.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 95
GhostDan
January 22, 2022, 5:58pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
The only thing I know is, its getting incredible tedious watching teams come to BP, not have to do a lot and come away with 3 points.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 95
Madeleymariner
January 22, 2022, 5:58pm

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
Interview Hurst couldn't see the error of moving McAtee wide he is hopeless
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 95
hampshiremariner
January 22, 2022, 5:59pm
Snakebite drinker
The keepers are on four grand a week? Is that really true? That makes almost £200,000 a year and we are talking National League. Makes my pension look a bit sick.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 95
TwoLeftFeet
January 22, 2022, 6:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Approval: +2,076
Gold Stars: 18
Was baffled by Clifton coming on for JMD thought it must be Coke going off.. I've defended Hurst soo far but today he got it wrong.

Would like to know how our budget compares with others because we look short.. I don't see anyone apart from McAtee and JMD scoring.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 95
LH
January 22, 2022, 6:02pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,492
Gold Stars: 173
Utter crap. Going nowhere and the season’s over in January if nothing changes.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 95
moosey_club
January 22, 2022, 6:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,240
Gold Stars: 226
Very good start, bossed it for 30-35 mins.....
Not sure if they switched something after that or just decided to play rather than fall over as they realised they were losing but we hardly touched them after that.
Clifton coming on was either a shocking decision as a straight swap if JMD was injured....or a tactical decision that didn't work.
Second half playing with zero natural width left them plenty of space to exploit and they picked up nearly every second ball.
God they were awful to watch but they were well drilled in it, we looked lost.
Yes their first looked offside, yes the ref maybe blew early but apart from a 5 min spell second half we rarely threatened for 70 mins of the game and didn't deserve a win.....not sure we deserved to lose but a very winnable game that we walk away from with fck all....again.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 95
marinette
January 22, 2022, 6:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
In the first half we were running rings around Bromley - absolutely head and shoulders above them in terms of skill and energy, and our goal was very well deserved.  I liked Abrahams, who seems to be a real sprinter and keen to take people on.  The other one who stood out for me was Giles Coke.  He doesn't usually, but today I really noticed him.  I thought McAtee was fairly quiet - not like him.

What went wrong later in the game?  From what I could see, we maybe switched off a bit after going ahead and being so much better than the opposition.  Mentally and physically, our players seemed to relax.  Of course, we can't do that.  We allowed them into our goal area and the inevitable happened.  Disappointing.

Abrahams possibly ran out of steam after a while, or else Bromley found a way of stifling him.  All of our players struggled more against them later on in the game.  It wasn't plain sailing anymore.  Very disappointed to concede a second, and that was the end of it.  

Went home a bit disheartened, but Bromley have been achieving quite a lot this season, so it's not as if we lost to a bottom-half team.  I think it's dangerous to discount a team and expect to trounce them just because they aren't an established name.  Having said that, we were so much better than them early on that it gives me some hope for the future (we are not a total lost cause).  

PS Coke my man of the match.  Can't think who else to give it to.

Private Message
Reply: 30 - 95
MuddyWaters
January 22, 2022, 6:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from It Bites
And stop moaning about Shithousery ffs . It's a man's game ffs. It never got called Shithousery in my day , it was called being competitive at all costs .

Not moaning about it at all. Point being that they know how they are able to play, we seem to come up with something different every week.

Today seemed to be ‘we’ve got a new signing, we’ve got to play him ‘.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 95
Hagrid
January 22, 2022, 6:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from marinette
In the first half we were running rings around Bromley - absolutely head and shoulders above them in terms of skill and energy, and our goal was very well deserved.  I liked Abrahams, who seems to be a real sprinter and keen to take people on.  The other one who stood out for me was Giles Coke.  He doesn't usually, but today I really noticed him.  I thought McAtee was fairly quiet - not like him.

What went wrong later in the game?  From what I could see, we maybe switched off a bit after going ahead and being so much better than the opposition.  Mentally and physically, our players seemed to relax.  Of course, we can't do that.  We allowed them into our goal area and the inevitable happened.  Disappointing.

Abrahams possibly ran out of steam after a while, or else Bromley found a way of stifling him.  All of our players struggled more against them later on in the game.  It wasn't plain sailing anymore.  Very disappointed to concede a second, and that was the end of it.  

Went home a bit disheartened, but Bromley have been achieving quite a lot this season, so it's not as if we lost to a bottom-half team.  I think it's dangerous to discount a team and expect to trounce them just because they aren't an established name.  Having said that, we were so much better than them early on that it gives me some hope for the future (we are not a total lost cause).  

Coke was Crap. He gifted them the first goal.  

They were all crap bar JMD.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 95
quebec38
January 22, 2022, 6:15pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,575
Gold Stars: 48
Average last week against as bad a side as you’ll see at BP this year. No idea how to score and it took a worldy to get us over the line.

No game plan again this week because we don’t have a playing style or any kind of plan. Started well for the first half an hour in terms of intensity which is commendable but still no idea how to score.

We have tried and tried for a centre forward all season and finally get one only for him to play wide on the left. We are stacked for wingers so what’s the thoughts behind that one?

6000 Grimsby fans and players left embarrassed by a bunch of shithouses today and it feels awful. Bromley aren’t up to much but they know their strengths and they play to them. They are physical and they will time waste and cheat but they get 3 points off the likes of us because we don’t have… any game plan.

Lacking in the middle of the pitch today. Coke was decent last week but against a poor side. Bad error for their equaliser. Crying out for something in the middle second half when we were being dominated. Burgess on the bench but he can’t get a game. What must he be thinking?

McAtee too deep first half and then in the second half he’s trying to do everything himself because it’s gonna take another wonder goal to get us in the game.

Shambles towards the end with nobody knowing what they were doing.

The coaching is abysmal at GTFC right now. Look at what the likes of Halifax and Bromley are doing with less in terms of skill but heaps more in terms of tactics and nouse.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 95
MuddyWaters
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

Coke was Crap. He gifted them the first goal.  

They were all crap bar JMD.

Think that’s a bit unfair on Danny Amos.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 95
LH

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,492
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from marinette

Ironically?
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 95
ginnywings
January 22, 2022, 6:16pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Well that was sh1te. It just all felt so non league.

We are not threatening enough and Abrahams isn't going to change that. Another in a long line of honest triers, but they are ten a penny. Midfield is functional without being especially creative. Back 5 has a mistake in it every game, for which we always get punished, yet we never capitalise on things that come our way. When their keeper parries a ball, not a Town player in site. A few crosses flashed across their goal and no one there.

The ref was again bizarre, though not blaming him for the defeat, as that was inevitable from the moment they equalised and shut us down. Terrible substitutions from PH and the shape was all wrong. Smith was terrible and It's concerning that we have no other right back at the club apart from Efete.

Awful match, terrible result and seeing their players antics just summed up a crappy day all round.

Losing to them felt like a double loss.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 95
dicko995
January 22, 2022, 6:17pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -259
Gold Stars: 21
The Chairman has stated that the most important thing is the performance on the pitch, and the new ground at a later date,when the team has done the business. At this rate,we will never get a new ground, and probably just as weel, as it would be nearly empty. Progress under Hurst hasnt progressed one little bit, our hopes were well high after a dozen games, top of the league, unbeaten, so what the hell has happened? minor tweeks in changing the team and McAtee injury has been the blame according to onlookers, but since our first defeat, its all gone downhill. Building a successful team doesnt mean lots of loanees, as they will be gone by the end of the season, and hey ho, here we go again, trying to recruit a new team. Todays performance began brightly, we looked like we could score from nearly every attack, it looked promising, although i got a bit fed up of 20 players stood around the team dugouts at every goal kick. First half ends and were looking forward to the 2nd half. Drew doesnt reappear and Clifton is his replacement, which resulted in a big mistake. We were crying out for a swifty winger to get the crosses over, never happened. McAtee took too much on himself, got to near theyre goal, but the final ball wasnt there. Midfield was invisible, no through balls to launch attacks, and we ended up with the long balls, some going astray, leading to losing possession. Bromley were up for it 2nd half, and we had no answer, no guts, and no desire. Subs were as normal brought on late, (66th minute as usual). We have no bite, we rode our luck in defence and with the right opposition, we will get punished. Was impressed with Bromleys long throws, something we dont have anymore.  Mr.Hurst, i suggest you get your tactics right in future, you are in my mind on borrowed time, even tho i am not enthusiastic on manager change through the season. How can a team, full of commitment, suddenly go stale, we were lacklustre 2nd half, heads were down, and it didnt get better. Wrexham on tuesday seems a nightmare, time will tell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 95
Hagrid

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Im basing it more on the fact i think they all allowed Bromley to get in their heads. And it worked.

I’m completely despondent tonight, we arent even gonna get in the P’offs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 95
ginnywings

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Agreed. He impressed me again after a shaky start.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 95
Hagrid
January 22, 2022, 6:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Well that was sh1te. It just all felt so non league.

We are not threatening enough and Abrahams isn't going to change that. Another in a long line of honest triers, but they are ten a penny. Midfield is functional without being especially creative. Back 5 has a mistake in it every game, for which we always get punished, yet we never capitalise on things that come our way. When their keeper parries a ball, not a Town player in site. A few crosses flashed across their goal and no one there.

The ref was again bizarre, though not blaming him for the defeat, as that was inevitable from the moment they equalised and shut us down. Terrible substitutions from PH and the shape was all wrong. Smith was terrible and It's concerning that we have no other right back at the club apart from Efete.

Awful match, terrible result and seeing their players antics just summed up a crappy day all round.

Losing to them felt like a double loss.

With his dreadful decision of putting Clifton on for JMD, he then couldnt take Smith off and put Harry at RB.

Fear wrexham could annihilate our right hand side
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 95
RobDef1
January 22, 2022, 6:21pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,115
Gold Stars: 97
Just back. We will not sack Hurst, honestly you're wasting your energy calling for that. Wasn't good enough today, simple. Absolutely perplexed at the decision to bring Clifton on at HT. That isn't a moan at Clifton, that is firmly a statement directed at Hurst (from a happy clapper). No idea what our shape was supposed to be 2nd half and Bromley got exactly what they came for. That being the opportunity to wind fans up, comfortably soak any pressure, and take away 3 points.

To the fans saying 'that's enough for me now', I'm sorry but I find that ridiculous. These are the same people that were saying they'd be happy with play-offs this year and push on next. We are 5 points off that, so lets see where we are at full time on matchday 44. You honestly believe bringing someone in now with a week of January left is the answer to somehow catapult us into the football league? It isn't happening, save your hair.

We can't say in one breathe 'this is a long term project' and then sack a manager after a year whilst sat in 10th. Yes it is frustrating, yes there have been questionable decisions. No, he wont be sacked and I do not believe sacking him is the answer either. Long-term means long-term, you're either in or you're out. Honestly being as fickle (and I know football fans are famous for it) as saying 'we are back' after 3 points and 'nah that's enough' after the next loss just adds frustration to a situation that already requires patience. UTM

Codhead, socialist, recovered addict.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 95
Gaffer58
January 22, 2022, 6:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
So we’re on a “ long term project” great, I’ll return to BP in 5 years when we challenge for promotion, we’ll it took Hurst that long last time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 95
pontoonlew
January 22, 2022, 6:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from marinette

There’s not thinking of who to give it to and giving it to the guy who cost us the first goal and plodded through the game constantly giving the ball away, he was absolutely shite
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 95
Phil the cod
January 22, 2022, 6:27pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
Pointless lumps up to Taylor, who won what he could and put 100% in as usual, but nobody picking up second balls, punts into Thier box which contained 3 X 7 ft central defenders. Substitutions made way too late in the game, this clubs great support and tradition deserves more than losing home games to teams who can muster sub 100 fans for away games. We will be taking probably 3k plus fans to notts county. Let's just let that sink in.
I'm sick of it now, Hurst out for me, roll on next week's game against the mighty wealdstone......... wherever that is.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 95
TwoLeftFeet
January 22, 2022, 6:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Approval: +2,076
Gold Stars: 18
Never really understood the 'long term project' concept esp in lower leagues were players swap and change so often.. all about the here and now and the difference between 6/7000 gates and 3000...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 95
mariner91
January 22, 2022, 6:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from davmariner

To be fair, he did bring on Max Wright at home to Halifax who put in a brilliant cross for the equaliser, and did something similar for the winner away at Woking.

Yeah fair enough. What I should have said, had I not been so lazy, is that he hasn't made any tactical changes that have been good for us. He usually waits until the 75th minute and then does a like for like swap, very occasionally that player will do something but that's not because of some tactical astuteness by Hurst.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 95
ginnywings
January 22, 2022, 6:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Can anyone tell me why there was only 4 mins added on time? Their centre back was down for ages and then went down again later. Loads of substitutions too.

After all their time wasting, he couldn't even extend the playing time 30 seconds to take a corner.

Another knob jockey.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 95
Mariner John
January 22, 2022, 6:41pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +629
Confused as ever by Town supporters 3 Red crosses for saying poor tactics poor timings of subs and loanees won't save us.

I that case you must be correct all 3 of you and you are agreeing with Hursts decisions today? If so you leave me utterly baffled.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 95
mariner91
January 22, 2022, 6:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RobDef1
Just back. We will not sack Hurst, honestly you're wasting your energy calling for that. Wasn't good enough today, simple. Absolutely perplexed at the decision to bring Clifton on at HT. That isn't a moan at Clifton, that is firmly a statement directed at Hurst (from a happy clapper). No idea what our shape was supposed to be 2nd half and Bromley got exactly what they came for. That being the opportunity to wind fans up, comfortably soak any pressure, and take away 3 points.

To the fans saying 'that's enough for me now', I'm sorry but I find that ridiculous. These are the same people that were saying they'd be happy with play-offs this year and push on next. We are 5 points off that, so lets see where we are at full time on matchday 44.You honestly believe bringing someone in now with a week of January left is the answer to somehow catapult us into the football league? It isn't happening, save your hair.

We can't say in one breathe 'this is a long term project' and then sack a manager after a year whilst sat in 10th. Yes it is frustrating, yes there have been questionable decisions. No, he wont be sacked and I do not believe sacking him is the answer either. Long-term means long-term, you're either in or you're out. Honestly being as fickle (and I know football fans are famous for it) as saying 'we are back' after 3 points and 'nah that's enough' after the next loss just adds frustration to a situation that already requires patience. UTM

Ridiculous argument. We're five points off the play offs owing to a very good start. However, we are now missing two of the better players from that start that made a big difference to how the team performed in Hunt and Towler. We're also not playing anything like the same way we were before. It's cumbersome, generic percentage football not like the quick and intense periods of play we witnessed earlier in the season. In the last 14 games we have won twice and drawn once. That is relegation form and the performances are not really showing much sign of improving on that. I would be astonished if this squad as it is now finishes in the play offs. And that is nowhere near good enough.

Nobody has claimed that getting a new manager in now would see us go up, I think most people have given up hope of that. But the alarming slump in fortunes with no sign of it improving coupled with Hurst's apparent inability to learn from the mistakes he made in his first stint and his woeful recent managerial record mean an increasingly greater number of fans are starting to come to the conclusion that he isn't and won't be good enough to get us back up any time soon. We can't wait six years again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 95
golfer
January 22, 2022, 6:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from Fette Schlange
It’ll come good in end

I'm 76 don't expect to live to 100
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 95
golfer
January 22, 2022, 6:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 115
Don't think the 3 new signings we had on show were any better than what we had
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 95
gtfc_chris
January 22, 2022, 7:15pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from davmariner
Have been supportive of Hurst but that was dreadful. I really think he’s lost the plot. All this tinkering suggests a lack of a clear vision and idea about how this team is going to get into the play offs. 2 wins in 14 and even the most loyal Hurst supporters have to ask questions.

I'm a loyal Hurst supporter and I'm asking questions, but tinkering suggests he's trying to break the cycle of poor form we find ourselves in. If he kept the same side that was repeatedly failing - or the same system - then you'd say he needed to change.

It's the reality of a professional football manager, you have to try and find solutions to problems and the whole point of my questioning, like many more I'm sure is that he isn't finding those solutions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 95
arryarryarry
January 22, 2022, 7:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from gtfc_chris

I'm a loyal Hurst supporter and I'm asking questions, but tinkering suggests he's trying to break the cycle of poor form we find ourselves in. If he kept the same side that was repeatedly failing - or the same system - then you'd say he needed to change.

It's the reality of a professional football manager, you have to try and find solutions to problems and the whole point of my questioning, like many more I'm sure is that he isn't finding those solutions.

The reality of a professional football manager is that just about any other manager who had been on such a bad run would have been sacked by now.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 95
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
January 22, 2022, 7:27pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 117
I wonder how much longer the owners will leave it before saying enough is enough.
The fans will be very vocal at matches and also on social media.
Surely they can't just turn their backs on what's happening and say everything is OK.
They need to be pre-booking a table at Ernie Becketts for the interviews tout suite.
There is nobody in-house who could possibly take over, so need someone with a new outlook with tons of positivity.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 95
Abdul19
January 22, 2022, 7:27pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,541
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from ginnywings
Can anyone tell me why there was only 4 mins added on time? Their centre back was down for ages and then went down again later. Loads of substitutions too.

After all their time wasting, he couldn't even extend the playing time 30 seconds to take a corner.

Another knob jockey.

Agreed, should've been at least 6. Doubt it would've made much a difference, but summed up his weak display.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 95
IlkleyMariner
January 22, 2022, 8:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,993
Gold Stars: 69
Get real
Write off this season
Hope we build enough to get a 20% chance of promotion next year
This isn’t a fifa computer game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 95
HerveJosse
January 22, 2022, 8:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,201
Gold Stars: 143
A classic example of how to work n a football match with bang average players. Perhaps Woodman should be heading North rather then across Kent
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 95
HerveJosse
January 22, 2022, 8:12pm
Champagne Drinker
We have signed a number 9 who hugs the touchlinr.
Is that an offence under the Trades Descrition Act?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 95
barralad
January 22, 2022, 8:23pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Yes...and for me Pearson and Waterfall were their usual solid selves in difficult circumstances.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 95
TownSNAFU5
January 22, 2022, 8:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,872
Gold Stars: 42
Some basic managerial mistakes, which the fans could see.

Clifton on, when Sousa or Wright needed to continue the attacking threat from the first half.  McAtee out of position and our forward threat weakened.  

Sousa and Wright came on too late.  A mess. Again. No direct pressure on Hurst to deliver.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 95
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
January 22, 2022, 8:35pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from HerveJosse
We have signed a number 9 who hugs the touchlinr.
Is that an offence under the Trades Descrition Act?

He clearly isn't a number 9. You only have to look at his professional scoring record. Seeing last seasons video of his performances he spent most of it over on the left, and even then not looking overly impressive........

..........and we have signed him! Woohoo!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 95
HerveJosse
January 22, 2022, 8:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Another knob jockey.

Sorry but that’s like someone currently in Number 10 worrying if someone has remembered to put the bins out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 95
fishcake63
January 22, 2022, 8:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,223
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from barralad

Yes...and for me Pearson and Waterfall were their usual solid selves in difficult circumstances.

would also 2nd that , why we don't gamble on waterfalls knockdowns i'll never know two tap ins today again if we gamble on him winning them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 95
Germo66
January 22, 2022, 8:53pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +120
Gold Stars: 1
If we had started the season with 2 wins in 14 games, would the owners still be saying this is a long term project? I'm not anti Hurst, but the change in the team is unbelievable from champions to mid table. Anything less than a play off place is a failure. I'm voting with my feet now and saving my money.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 95
RobDef1
January 22, 2022, 9:03pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,115
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Germo66
If we had started the season with 2 wins in 14 games, would the owners still be saying this is a long term project? I'm not anti Hurst, but the change in the team is unbelievable from champions to mid table. Anything less than a play off place is a failure. I'm voting with my feet now and saving my money.

Well yes because they were saying that before we kicked a ball.

Don't buy into the 'long term project'? look at chesterfield, halifax, forest green etc etc etc. Someone mentioned the lower leagues where 'players chop and change so much', well yeah? exactly? How else do you build a top of the league squad?

Voting with your feet? what you mean is can't be arsed to stick through the rocky times so tally ho mate. In or out, like I said.

Codhead, socialist, recovered addict.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 95
barralad
January 22, 2022, 9:03pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
More than a bit perplexed tonight.
For the first 30 minutes we were as good as at any time since this bad run began (bar the last 20 minutes at home to Halifax). In truth a one goal advantage was poor given the number of balls crossed from both wings (especially JM-D). The other thing that surprised me was the number of shots we had.
They score-very much against the run of play- and almost entirely due to one of our most senior players p1ssing about in his own box. (I'd like to see it on t.v. because there was more than a hint of offside) I'd expect the goal to give them a boost but from our point of view it seemed like a pin puncturing the balloon of our confidence. From being outplayed Bromley might have thought themselves unlucky to go in at H-T level (decent save from Crocombe at his near post).
It seems JM-D was injured but I think Hurst needed to strengthen midfield where because of our post-equaliser malaise, Bromley were grabbing midfield by the scruff of the neck. At the time I and the people around me thought that the appearance of the attack minded Clifton was a good move.
The second half was monumentally disappointing-too many playing as individuals rather than a team-especially on the attacking side of things. Abrahams looked knackered-unsurprisingly. This thread is peppered with comments about why Hurst felt the need to start the lad.  (I feel there would have been the exact opposite reaction had Hurst not played him had we still lost but heigh-ho) Yes he was rusty but showed enough desire and skill to suggest that once he gets a few games under his belt he will make a decent fist of it. I was right behind his shot that nearly cut their number six in half and I'm convinced it was goal bound.
Our much derided "shape" was well and truly lost and it was no surprise when we finally cracked-disappointingly from a set piece.
Once they were in front they, with some help from the referee who seemingly couldn't tell the time, set about protecting what they'd got. Should Wright/Sousa have been on earlier? Probably, but neither contributed very much to the cause when, particularly Wright, had done so v Halifax.
Not entirely sure where we go from here but it is unfortunate that the new players will get an away baptism by fire in the coming games. Maybe they need to receive more support on the pitch from the seniors than they seemed to today.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 95
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 22, 2022, 9:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,685
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from fishcake63

would also 2nd that , why we don't gamble on waterfalls knockdowns i'll never know two tap ins today again if we gamble on him winning them

It’s the point I made last week about the difference between having Taylor, a quality player outside the box, and a real striker who comes to life in the box. In the first half there were at least three balls knocked down into the six yard box and not only did we not get on the end of it nobody was even trying to get on the end of it. There was a cross from the left first half that Taylor didn’t even attempt to attack even though he was already in there waiting. Second half two or three crosses nobody again attacking the ball and as others have said two saves pushed the ball out into the six yard box with nobody looking interested in finishing it off.

When they crossed the ball they had at least three or four players in the box whereas we were lucky if we had two, with our midfield players absolutely nowhere in the picture. I commented last week on Taylor’s inability to get on the end of crosses and that was typified today.

Although we played well until we scored I thought Hurst had tried to accommodate McAteer so that he could play Abrahams. He was clearly out of position and whilst he did ok he was always too deep to influence the play in and around the box where he is most dangerous. Agree with the general consensus that the half time substitution was a clear mistake and if you do decide to make that change why didn’t they play in their normal position of Fox on the right and Clifton on the left? I’m not a Clifton fan and whilst he had that great volley, for me, he offers just energy and runs around with no end product. If the new signing is not capable of ousting him from midfield he’s not worth signing.

They had three at the back and second half their two wide players had the freedom of the park but Hurst did nothing to address this. Introducing Sousa and Wright might have driven them back and given us a better platform to attack as once Abrahams went through the centre he was a complete waste of time.

A very bad day for PH which really makes you question his suitability for the managers job.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 95
Croxton
January 22, 2022, 9:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Germo66

As an STH like 3000 others I am already invested in the remaining home games but the all round incompetence of that second half made up my mind about Wrexham on Tuesday. Had it all planned last night, walking in N.Wales, B and B in Llangollen, watch game at Wrexham then drive back to Sheffield on quiet roads.

Hurst has trampled on my optimism since the Cleethorpes pre season game with his negativity. I enjoy the 'local' Notts County game but ,for me, I will hold on to my £150.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 95
HertsGTFC
January 22, 2022, 9:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Complete debacle! A game where the manager and the players should be embarrassed. I’m not sure I can add anything new to what’s already been posted above.

What I have in the good will account towards Hurst is being exhausted and is currently running in red, an odd selection but seemed to work, a terrible substitution looking at the talent on the bench and failure to act when it was clear it wasn’t working.

The players need to hold themselves to account, lack of energy, tempo and drive coupled with some poor passing, decision making and on a couple of occasions greed in front of goal.

Clearly we let a lot of kids in for free which on days like these when the away support is so p1ss poor us the right thing to do, regardless of whether or not you paid today every Town supporter deserves better!

As for Bromley they’re an alright team that take sh1thousery to a completely new level and are very easy to dislike they’re behaviour after their 1st goal was completely out of order.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 95
ska face
January 22, 2022, 9:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,611
Gold Stars: 840
The management team consists of a right back, a left back and a centre half, three blokes who barely recognise yon side of the half way line never mind know what to do up there. At 1-0 we were comfortable and had been well on top in the first 35 minutes, but there’s no mentality in the squad beyond getting in front. No method of managing the game and no idea of what to do when in front. Anyone can chase a point when you’re a goal behind, well, in theory, but if you want to be up there you can’t fúcking melt every time you go in front.

That’s always been Hurst’s hallmark. We had it all through his first spell, until we got 2 strikers who would build up decent leads, and had it last season when we went through a spell of nicking early goals then inevitably capitulating. We’re not good enough anywhere across the park to get away with it now, so unless he brings in some unreal signings in the next 9 days, nothing’ll change.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 95
Zmariner
January 22, 2022, 10:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Not moaning about it at all. Point being that they know how they are able to play, we seem to come up with something different every week.

Today seemed to be ‘we’ve got a new signing, we’ve got to play him ‘.

Exactly, a centre half at right back. A centre forward on the left wing and two and in the second half three midfielders who offer little going forward but are hard workers ( although I do not rate Coke)
The team had the balance of Gemma Collins on dancing on ice and this is the work of Hurst
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 95
IlkleyMariner
January 22, 2022, 10:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,993
Gold Stars: 69
I hope hurst succeeds but not looking promising
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 95
Sigone
January 22, 2022, 10:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
Can the tools in the pontoon who throw stuff on the pitch please grow up..the ref reported it to the 4th official which means it will be in his report..pleased he didn't see the 2nd plastic bottle get thrown on.  You WILL get the club in trouble for what.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 95
arryarryarry
January 22, 2022, 11:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad
More than a bit perplexed tonight.
For the first 30 minutes we were as good as at any time since this bad run began (bar the last 20 minutes at home to Halifax). In truth a one goal advantage was poor given the number of balls crossed from both wings (especially JM-D). The other thing that surprised me was the number of shots we had.
They score-very much against the run of play- and almost entirely due to one of our most senior players p1ssing about in his own box. (I'd like to see it on t.v. because there was more than a hint of offside) I'd expect the goal to give them a boost but from our point of view it seemed like a pin puncturing the balloon of our confidence. From being outplayed Bromley might have thought themselves unlucky to go in at H-T level (decent save from Crocombe at his near post).
It seems JM-D was injured but I think Hurst needed to strengthen midfield where because of our post-equaliser malaise, Bromley were grabbing midfield by the scruff of the neck. At the time I and the people around me thought that the appearance of the attack minded Clifton was a good move.
The second half was monumentally disappointing-too many playing as individuals rather than a team-especially on the attacking side of things. Abrahams looked knackered-unsurprisingly. This thread is peppered with comments about why Hurst felt the need to start the lad.  (I feel there would have been the exact opposite reaction had Hurst not played him had we still lost but heigh-ho) Yes he was rusty but showed enough desire and skill to suggest that once he gets a few games under his belt he will make a decent fist of it. I was right behind his shot that nearly cut their number six in half and I'm convinced it was goal bound.
Our much derided "shape" was well and truly lost and it was no surprise when we finally cracked-disappointingly from a set piece.
Once they were in front they, with some help from the referee who seemingly couldn't tell the time, set about protecting what they'd got. Should Wright/Sousa have been on earlier? Probably, but neither contributed very much to the cause when, particularly Wright, had done so v Halifax.
Not entirely sure where we go from here but it is unfortunate that the new players will get an away baptism by fire in the coming games. Maybe they need to receive more support on the pitch from the seniors than they seemed to today.

Their first was definitely not offside, that was confirmed by Hurst in his aftermatch interview although he didn't mention who the player was it was Amos.
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 95
jamesgtfc
January 22, 2022, 11:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,938
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from ska face
The management team consists of a right back, a left back and a centre half, three blokes who barely recognise yon side of the half way line never mind know what to do up there. At 1-0 we were comfortable and had been well on top in the first 35 minutes, but there’s no mentality in the squad beyond getting in front. No method of managing the game and no idea of what to do when in front. Anyone can chase a point when you’re a goal behind, well, in theory, but if you want to be up there you can’t fúcking melt every time you go in front.

That’s always been Hurst’s hallmark. We had it all through his first spell, until we got 2 strikers who would build up decent leads, and had it last season when we went through a spell of nicking early goals then inevitably capitulating. We’re not good enough anywhere across the park to get away with it now, so unless he brings in some unreal signings in the next 9 days, nothing’ll change.

Who is the right back, Moore or Davies?

Davies spent most of his career in the middle of the park.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 95
Mayaman
January 23, 2022, 3:57am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,397
Gold Stars: 74
Clearly on top
Half time team talk and changes
Haven't got a clue
REPEAT
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 95
goldenfish
January 23, 2022, 9:17am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +212
Gold Stars: 16
Could also level some blame on the players , Coke had chance and time to hook the ball away for the first …. And the second , as every corner before then , could have been defended / kept  a lot better …  don’t think you can blame it entirely on the manager , wanted to  see like for like when JMD went off though , as thought a Sousa or Wright would have been affective against their back 4 .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 95
pen penfras
January 23, 2022, 9:19am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from RobDef1

Well yes because they were saying that before we kicked a ball.

Don't buy into the 'long term project'? look at chesterfield, halifax, forest green etc etc etc. Someone mentioned the lower leagues where 'players chop and change so much', well yeah? exactly? How else do you build a top of the league squad?

Voting with your feet? what you mean is can't be arsed to stick through the rocky times so tally ho mate. In or out, like I said.

If our owners are going to put millions of their own money each season, then you can compare us to forest green and chesterfield. Otherwise they're not a valid comparison. Both of those clubs have spent way above their means for 10+ years and not actually had a huge amount of success for how much they've spent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 95
Hagrid
January 23, 2022, 10:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
Myself and those around were saying yesterday how much we were crying out for a Craig Disley or a Grovesy

Waterfalls headers across the box, noone on the end. Not one late run from midfield…

I expected big things from Fox but he’s been underwhelming
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 95
pontoonlew
January 23, 2022, 10:59am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid
Myself and those around were saying yesterday how much we were crying out for a Craig Disley or a Grovesy

Waterfalls headers across the box, noone on the end. Not one late run from midfield…

Have to disagree re Fox, I think he’s been good. The problem he has is he’s having to either carry Giles Coke or he’s pushed forward when McAtee has been out, both give him no chance to perform.

In the times he played with Hunt and McAtee he’s been very good, no coincidence IMO
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 95
chaos33
January 23, 2022, 11:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,928
Gold Stars: 357
Fox is a really good player at this level . That’s just a fact.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 95
heppy88
January 23, 2022, 11:21am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Hagrid

Really??? Fox imo has been far from underwhelming. Funny how different people see the same game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 95
Hagrid
January 23, 2022, 11:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from heppy88

Really??? Fox imo has been far from underwhelming. Funny how different people see the same game.

1 goal from Central Midfield. Whether Lew has a point playing alongside Coke maybe he does i dont know?

But i just expected more of a box to box midfielder.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 95
Hagrid
January 23, 2022, 11:31am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
Fox is a really good player at this level . That’s just a fact.

We’re 10th in the National League pal. If you want to see a midfield pairing that i’d consider really good, look at Halifax’s. I was mightily impressed with their work ethic
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 95
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 23, 2022, 11:45am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,685
Gold Stars: 73
I think we need to replace Coke and Clifton before Fox, as I said last night Burgess can’t be up to much if he can’t get in this midfield so it looks like another squad signing as does Abraham’s, Smith and to a lesser extent Amos. Non of the signings made are improving the starting eleven so that’s my major concern at present and has made me doubt the suitability of PH to take us forwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 95
chaos33
January 23, 2022, 11:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,928
Gold Stars: 357
Quoted from Hagrid

We’re 10th in the National League pal. If you want to see a midfield pairing that i’d consider really good, look at Halifax’s. I was mightily impressed with their work ethic

Yeah cheers ‘pal’. What’s that got to do with it? Halifax’s midfield pair were dominated by our players once Hunt was on.  I’m not talking about a midfield ‘pairing’ and not suggesting that we can’t aspire to better. If you know football, you’ll know that Hunt is a loss, and Fox is a good player. Beyond that, well, that’s another story. Is Coke good enough? Is the shape right? Do we need another centre midfielder? How good is the lad from Port Vale? All up for debate I reckon….

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 95
MuddyWaters
January 23, 2022, 11:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

1 goal from Central Midfield. Whether Lew has a point playing alongside Coke maybe he does i dont know?

But i just expected more of a box to box midfielder.

We don’t set up for that type of player. Hurst plays with four attack minded players and two sitting midfielders of which Fox does most of the work.

Coke drops too deep and does the easy stuff.
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 95
Hagrid
January 23, 2022, 11:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

Yeah cheers ‘pal’. What’s that got to do with it? Halifax’s midfield pair were dominated by our players once Hunt was on.  I’m not talking about a midfield ‘pairing’ and not suggesting that we can’t aspire to better. If you know football, you’ll know that Hunt is a loss, and Fox is a good player. Beyond that, well, that’s another story. Is Coke good enough? Is the shape right? Do we need another centre midfielder? How good is the lad from Port Vale? All up for debate I reckon….

Im referring to the away game which we lost.
And the new lad didnt come on yesterday but im wondering if Hurst see’s him as more of a 10 than a CM? Not really sure as we’ve not seen him yet
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 95
mariner91
January 23, 2022, 12:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Fox has been a bit underwhelming but he’s not a bad player. The whole team is significantly worse when Coke is playing. He plods around not breaking up play much out of possession cause he’s just nowhere near mobile enough. In possession he often hides and very rarely gives the defenders an option unless it’s in a position he knows he won’t get shut down quickly. When he does have the ball, it’s slow and ponderous and invariably sideways making our attacking play so much slower. Got away with it to some extent next to Hunt but when Fox is also a grafter we’re so pedestrian and unimaginative in midfield it’s embarrassing.

Sorting out the middle of the pitch would make a big difference to the team. However he’s signed one player who he’s barely played and didn’t re-sign Hunt which worryingly makes it seem like he doesn’t recognise how bad Coke is these days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 95
Rodley Mariner
January 23, 2022, 12:31pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
I think there is a softness to us at the moment. We're not getting outplayed or well beaten, just continually finding ways to lose tight games typically in the lqst 15-20 minutes. I think that's probably why he keeps returning to Coke but we clearly need more in there.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 95
HertsGTFC
January 23, 2022, 12:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91
Fox has been a bit underwhelming but he’s not a bad player. The whole team is significantly worse when Coke is playing. He plods around not breaking up play much out of possession cause he’s just nowhere near mobile enough. In possession he often hides and very rarely gives the defenders an option unless it’s in a position he knows he won’t get shut down quickly. When he does have the ball, it’s slow and ponderous and invariably sideways making our attacking play so much slower. Got away with it to some extent next to Hunt but when Fox is also a grafter we’re so pedestrian and unimaginative in midfield it’s embarrassing.

Sorting out the middle of the pitch would make a big difference to the team. However he’s signed one player who he’s barely played and didn’t re-sign Hunt which worryingly makes it seem like he doesn’t recognise how bad Coke is these days.

I was really disappointed that we didn’t retain Hunt even though Wednesday upped the anti, that level of  creativity was missing yesterday when we needed it.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 95
drew peacock
January 23, 2022, 12:46pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +4
Coke's reaction at the end of the game said a lot - he was down on his knees with his head in his hands for at least a minute and nobody went near him. I feel for him in a way, he wasn't solely responsible for how yesterday panned out but until he's replaced we are going to struggle, what was more worrying to me was that the manager couldn't see he was physically struggling in the last 20 minutes and took Fox off instead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 95
HertsGTFC
January 23, 2022, 12:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I think there is a softness to us at the moment. We're not getting outplayed or well beaten, just continually finding ways to lose tight games typically in the lqst 15-20 minutes. I think that's probably why he keeps returning to Coke but we clearly need more in there.

It’s odd, I know Crowcombe made a couple of saves yesterday but in the games I’ve seen us lose I can’t remember either of our keepers being over worked.

I don’t think we’ve got any clue when it comes to shutting down games when we’re in a decent position and part of the poor run seems to have aligned with us not keeping possession which is something we did well early in the season.

I don’t ever want us to sink to the level of Bromley but I would like us to have a bit more meanness, not cheating but be able to give it out a bit when required.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 95
arryarryarry
January 23, 2022, 12:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from drew peacock
Coke's reaction at the end of the game said a lot - he was down on his knees with his head in his hands for at least a minute and nobody went near him. I feel for him in a way, he wasn't solely responsible for how yesterday panned out but until he's replaced we are going to struggle, what was more worrying to me was that the manager couldn't see he was physically struggling in the last 20 minutes and took Fox off instead.

Not totally but he played a very big part in it, fannying about in our own area give them the goal that turned the game around.

He spends far too much time playing the ball backwards and we need better if we want to turn our season around.
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 95
pontoonlew
January 23, 2022, 4:08pm
Vodka Drinker
I’ll never blame a player like Coke for their performances, he quite clearly tries. I’ve never rated him, not even when he was somehow flavour of the month at the end of last season, quite how Hurst then made him captain I’ve no idea.

It’s not his fault he’s thrown in every week but it’s quite obvious he’s not up to it, Hurst will try (and fail) to make it work all season though, much like he did with Monkhouse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 95
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.