10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
ska face
January 22, 2022, 9:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,362
Gold Stars: 824
The management team consists of a right back, a left back and a centre half, three blokes who barely recognise yon side of the half way line never mind know what to do up there. At 1-0 we were comfortable and had been well on top in the first 35 minutes, but there’s no mentality in the squad beyond getting in front. No method of managing the game and no idea of what to do when in front. Anyone can chase a point when you’re a goal behind, well, in theory, but if you want to be up there you can’t fúcking melt every time you go in front.

That’s always been Hurst’s hallmark. We had it all through his first spell, until we got 2 strikers who would build up decent leads, and had it last season when we went through a spell of nicking early goals then inevitably capitulating. We’re not good enough anywhere across the park to get away with it now, so unless he brings in some unreal signings in the next 9 days, nothing’ll change.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 95
Zmariner
January 22, 2022, 10:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,067
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Not moaning about it at all. Point being that they know how they are able to play, we seem to come up with something different every week.

Today seemed to be ‘we’ve got a new signing, we’ve got to play him ‘.

Exactly, a centre half at right back. A centre forward on the left wing and two and in the second half three midfielders who offer little going forward but are hard workers ( although I do not rate Coke)
The team had the balance of Gemma Collins on dancing on ice and this is the work of Hurst
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 95
IlkleyMariner
January 22, 2022, 10:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,873
Gold Stars: 66
I hope hurst succeeds but not looking promising
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 95
Sigone
January 22, 2022, 10:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,607
Gold Stars: 5
Can the tools in the pontoon who throw stuff on the pitch please grow up..the ref reported it to the 4th official which means it will be in his report..pleased he didn't see the 2nd plastic bottle get thrown on.  You WILL get the club in trouble for what.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 95
arryarryarry
January 22, 2022, 11:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from barralad
More than a bit perplexed tonight.
For the first 30 minutes we were as good as at any time since this bad run began (bar the last 20 minutes at home to Halifax). In truth a one goal advantage was poor given the number of balls crossed from both wings (especially JM-D). The other thing that surprised me was the number of shots we had.
They score-very much against the run of play- and almost entirely due to one of our most senior players p1ssing about in his own box. (I'd like to see it on t.v. because there was more than a hint of offside) I'd expect the goal to give them a boost but from our point of view it seemed like a pin puncturing the balloon of our confidence. From being outplayed Bromley might have thought themselves unlucky to go in at H-T level (decent save from Crocombe at his near post).
It seems JM-D was injured but I think Hurst needed to strengthen midfield where because of our post-equaliser malaise, Bromley were grabbing midfield by the scruff of the neck. At the time I and the people around me thought that the appearance of the attack minded Clifton was a good move.
The second half was monumentally disappointing-too many playing as individuals rather than a team-especially on the attacking side of things. Abrahams looked knackered-unsurprisingly. This thread is peppered with comments about why Hurst felt the need to start the lad.  (I feel there would have been the exact opposite reaction had Hurst not played him had we still lost but heigh-ho) Yes he was rusty but showed enough desire and skill to suggest that once he gets a few games under his belt he will make a decent fist of it. I was right behind his shot that nearly cut their number six in half and I'm convinced it was goal bound.
Our much derided "shape" was well and truly lost and it was no surprise when we finally cracked-disappointingly from a set piece.
Once they were in front they, with some help from the referee who seemingly couldn't tell the time, set about protecting what they'd got. Should Wright/Sousa have been on earlier? Probably, but neither contributed very much to the cause when, particularly Wright, had done so v Halifax.
Not entirely sure where we go from here but it is unfortunate that the new players will get an away baptism by fire in the coming games. Maybe they need to receive more support on the pitch from the seniors than they seemed to today.

Their first was definitely not offside, that was confirmed by Hurst in his aftermatch interview although he didn't mention who the player was it was Amos.
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 95
jamesgtfc
January 22, 2022, 11:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from ska face
The management team consists of a right back, a left back and a centre half, three blokes who barely recognise yon side of the half way line never mind know what to do up there. At 1-0 we were comfortable and had been well on top in the first 35 minutes, but there’s no mentality in the squad beyond getting in front. No method of managing the game and no idea of what to do when in front. Anyone can chase a point when you’re a goal behind, well, in theory, but if you want to be up there you can’t fúcking melt every time you go in front.

That’s always been Hurst’s hallmark. We had it all through his first spell, until we got 2 strikers who would build up decent leads, and had it last season when we went through a spell of nicking early goals then inevitably capitulating. We’re not good enough anywhere across the park to get away with it now, so unless he brings in some unreal signings in the next 9 days, nothing’ll change.

Who is the right back, Moore or Davies?

Davies spent most of his career in the middle of the park.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 95
Mayaman
January 23, 2022, 3:57am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,259
Gold Stars: 71
Clearly on top
Half time team talk and changes
Haven't got a clue
REPEAT
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 95
goldenfish
January 23, 2022, 9:17am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +212
Gold Stars: 16
Could also level some blame on the players , Coke had chance and time to hook the ball away for the first …. And the second , as every corner before then , could have been defended / kept  a lot better …  don’t think you can blame it entirely on the manager , wanted to  see like for like when JMD went off though , as thought a Sousa or Wright would have been affective against their back 4 .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 95
pen penfras
January 23, 2022, 9:19am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -140
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from RobDef1

Well yes because they were saying that before we kicked a ball.

Don't buy into the 'long term project'? look at chesterfield, halifax, forest green etc etc etc. Someone mentioned the lower leagues where 'players chop and change so much', well yeah? exactly? How else do you build a top of the league squad?

Voting with your feet? what you mean is can't be arsed to stick through the rocky times so tally ho mate. In or out, like I said.

If our owners are going to put millions of their own money each season, then you can compare us to forest green and chesterfield. Otherwise they're not a valid comparison. Both of those clubs have spent way above their means for 10+ years and not actually had a huge amount of success for how much they've spent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 95
Hagrid
January 23, 2022, 10:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,988
Gold Stars: 508
Myself and those around were saying yesterday how much we were crying out for a Craig Disley or a Grovesy

Waterfalls headers across the box, noone on the end. Not one late run from midfield…

I expected big things from Fox but he’s been underwhelming
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 95
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.