Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 220 Guests

Just Back (merged)

This thread currently has 10,872 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
oochiad
January 22, 2022, 5:50pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,675
Gold Stars: 27
Got beat by a better team that new how to win at all costs. I don’t know what we were playing at today. Very disappointed. We better get our excrement together for Tuesday…….
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 95
hampshiremariner
January 22, 2022, 5:51pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,051
Gold Stars: 35
"Already been mentioned about loanees, you can't build a future with them, once they show there talent the clubs want them back so we start again, then again etc."

You've hit the nail on the head there, John. When you read the recent press reports about players being 'recalled' by clubs because they have injury problems or they think their lads are not getting enough game time. Hurst seems to spend most of his time on the phone 'negotiating' loans from other clubs or trying to persuade them not to recall someone. Waste of time and energy. I might be completely stupid and naive to say this, but why can't we have s squad of contracted players who will play their hearts out every week? The answer is finance of course but the loan system is not fit for purpose and a hand to mouth existence.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 95
mariner91
January 22, 2022, 5:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,578
Gold Stars: 260
I don't doubt for a second that there are clubs in our league with far more to spend than we have. However, I'm certain that Hurst will have been given a decent budget and at the minute there is precious little to show for it.

Neither of our keepers inspire much confidence and between them are on almost £4K a week. Our defence is okay but nothing more than that. The midfield is dreadful with the only real spark being Hunt who was allowed to leave and doesn't seem to have been replaced. Why sign Burgess if he can't get in ahead of Coke who was shite again today (yes I know, he had one good game last week)? And Fox isn't much better despite a decent enough start to the season.

Up front we've got some decent players in McAtee, Taylor, Sousa, JMD and Max Wright but it's as if as soon as Hurst's teams drop any points he immediately shuts up shop. It's depressing. Early in the season we weren't perfect but the intensity of the press and players looking to do something that was positive and quick meant that at times we were very good to watch and worthy of being in the play offs or higher. Since the bad run started, I don't even know what we're trying to do so what exactly are we building?

We've signed four players in this window; two loanees and two on 6 month contracts. So what are we building? I could put up with a bad run if there was obviously a long term strategy in place but there isn't. The reality is we're a very average side in the NL and our budget and support deserves much more than that. I was a fan of Hurst previously but he clearly can't stop this rot and doesn't seem to have learned any lessons from his first stint i.e I have yet to see him make a substitution that has had a palpably positive influence in our favour. And his record in his last 100 games managed is abysmal. Time for him to go. Let someone else come in so they can really have a look at the squad and hopefully hit the ground running in time for next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 95
davmariner
January 22, 2022, 5:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,910
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from mariner91
I don't doubt for a second that there are clubs in our league with far more to spend than we have. However, I'm certain that we Hurst will have been given a decent budget and at the minute there is precious little to show for it.

Neither of keepers inspire much confidence and between them are on almost £4K a week. Our defence is okay but nothing more than that. The midfield is dreadful with the only real spark being Hunt who was allowed to leave and doesn't seem to have been replaced. Why sign Burgess if he can't get in ahead of Coke who was shite again today (yes I know, he had one good game last week)? And Fox isn't much better despite a decent enough start to the season.

Up front we've got some decent players in McAtee, Taylor, Sousa, JMD and Max Wright but it's as if as soon as Hurst's teams drop any points he immediately shuts up shop. It's depressing. Early in the season we weren't perfect but the intensity of the press and players looking to do something that was positive and quick meant that at times we were very good to watch and worthy of being in the play offs or higher. Since the bad run started, I don't even know what we're trying to do so what exactly are we building?

We've signed four players in this window; two loanees and two on 6 month contracts. So what are we building? I could put up with a bad run if there was obviously a long term strategy in place but there isn't. The reality is we're a very average side in the NL and our budget and support deserves much more than that. I was a fan of Hurst previously but he clearly can't stop this rot and doesn't seem to have learned any lessons from his first stint i.e I have yet to see him make a substitution that has had a palpably positive influence in our favour. And his record in his last 100 games managed is abysmal. Time for him to go. Let someone else come in so they can really have a look at the squad and hopefully hit the ground running in time for next season.

To be fair, he did bring on Max Wright at home to Halifax who put in a brilliant cross for the equaliser, and did something similar for the winner away at Woking.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 95
GhostDan
January 22, 2022, 5:58pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
The only thing I know is, its getting incredible tedious watching teams come to BP, not have to do a lot and come away with 3 points.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 95
Madeleymariner
January 22, 2022, 5:58pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,047
Gold Stars: 49
Interview Hurst couldn't see the error of moving McAtee wide he is hopeless
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 95
hampshiremariner
January 22, 2022, 5:59pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Approval: +1,051
Gold Stars: 35
The keepers are on four grand a week? Is that really true? That makes almost £200,000 a year and we are talking National League. Makes my pension look a bit sick.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 95
TwoLeftFeet
January 22, 2022, 6:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Approval: +2,069
Gold Stars: 18
Was baffled by Clifton coming on for JMD thought it must be Coke going off.. I've defended Hurst soo far but today he got it wrong.

Would like to know how our budget compares with others because we look short.. I don't see anyone apart from McAtee and JMD scoring.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 95
LH
January 22, 2022, 6:02pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,459
Gold Stars: 172
Utter crap. Going nowhere and the season’s over in January if nothing changes.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 95
moosey_club
January 22, 2022, 6:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,202
Gold Stars: 224
Very good start, bossed it for 30-35 mins.....
Not sure if they switched something after that or just decided to play rather than fall over as they realised they were losing but we hardly touched them after that.
Clifton coming on was either a shocking decision as a straight swap if JMD was injured....or a tactical decision that didn't work.
Second half playing with zero natural width left them plenty of space to exploit and they picked up nearly every second ball.
God they were awful to watch but they were well drilled in it, we looked lost.
Yes their first looked offside, yes the ref maybe blew early but apart from a 5 min spell second half we rarely threatened for 70 mins of the game and didn't deserve a win.....not sure we deserved to lose but a very winnable game that we walk away from with fck all....again.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 95
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.