January 20, 2022, 7:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Good signing. Fingers crossed it works out
Hope he's direct and has a go. It's not as if he won't get chances

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 97
jamesgtfc
January 20, 2022, 7:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
I think Abrahams is a good addition to the squad but again it's only someone that is here until May despite being told this window was about next season. I get that actually doing it is easier said than done but we have a frightening number of players out of contract come May.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 97
headingly_mariner
January 20, 2022, 8:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Played wide of a front 3 a lot as well as through the middle? I bet Taylor is made up because 90 minutes Saturday Tuesday is probably a stretch
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 97
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 20, 2022, 8:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,513
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I think Abrahams is a good addition to the squad but again it's only someone that is here until May despite being told this window was about next season. I get that actually doing it is easier said than done but we have a frightening number of players out of contract come May.

I am sure every player we wish to keep will be offered a new deal, up to them if they want to stay and if not we move on. I like the majority of fans would like a settled side but I also accept it’s not that easy at present to recruit players given most EFL clubs are carrying slightly larger squads than normal because of the COVID risk.

Also, if we were suddenly to hit a great run of form, and get promoted through the play offs perhaps some of the current players may not be wanted at the higher level.

Let’s wait and see what happens by the end of the window and also remember we can still recruit players once it closes for EFL clubs.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 97
ginnywings
January 20, 2022, 8:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Thought people would be glad we are not chucking around 2 and 3 year deals for dross like Jackson Jr and that other one who's name escapes me. Could make a list a mile long of players we have been stuck with who were given contracts that were too long and we ended up with them hanging around like a bad smell.

Most of those on short term deals will be looking to win a contract, if not here, then somewhere else, so should be busting a gut to impress.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 97
jamesgtfc
January 20, 2022, 8:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from ginnywings
Thought people would be glad we are not chucking around 2 and 3 year deals for dross like Jackson Jr and that other one who's name escapes me. Could make a list a mile long of players we have been stuck with who were given contracts that were too long and we ended up with them hanging around like a bad smell.

Most of those on short term deals will be looking to win a contract, if not here, then somewhere else, so should be busting a gut to impress.

I get that but why did Andrew Pettit point to the signing of Maguire-Drew as proof that our January business will be about getting players in who are under contract for next season?

A short-term deal is great if they turn out rubbish but if they impress, they might have more attractive offers in the summer so we don't keep them. I understand that it's difficult to achieve and I think all 4 of our signings this month will be good additions. It's just a little concerning how many players we have under contract for next season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 97
ginnywings
January 20, 2022, 9:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I get that but why did Andrew Pettit point to the signing of Maguire-Drew as proof that our January business will be about getting players in who are under contract for next season?

A short-term deal is great if they turn out rubbish but if they impress, they might have more attractive offers in the summer so we don't keep them. I understand that it's difficult to achieve and I think all 4 of our signings this month will be good additions. It's just a little concerning how many players we have under contract for next season.

Perhaps he has other targets lined up for the summer? We needed bodies in to bolster the squad for this season and JMD was seen as a definite one for the longer term, but the others are on a try before you buy kind of deal.

I think the board wanted to move away from loan deals as much as anything.

Some of the squad have 1 year extensions I believe and some of the others will probably sign new deals, but there will be plenty of options available in the summer.

I think the transfer market is a bit strange at the moment due to covid.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 97
HertsGTFC
January 20, 2022, 9:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,649
Gold Stars: 217
We needed a striker we have a striker, not sure what people expect but this looks ok to me.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 97
MuddyWaters
January 20, 2022, 9:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from ginnywings

I believe that several on one year deals have got options to extend.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 97
Stew0_0
January 20, 2022, 9:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,199
Gold Stars: 35
I think this is as good a striker signing as we could of hoped.
People talking about signing another loan signing but Tristan is clearly out of favour at Carlisle. If he proves his worth here we can look to sign him permanently, Carlisle can command a fee as he's a year left on his contract and both teams win.
We don't have a quarter of million to throw at a striker and teams in this window seem reluctant to part with players in case COVID hits their squad.
On Abraham's himself he adds what we don't have up front power, pace and skill.
If he plays well enough could dislodge Taylor up top with Mcatee with JMD and Sousa/Wright providing from wide.
Creative midfielder and we are looking good.

Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 97
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.