January 20, 2022, 12:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,085
Gold Stars: 518
Quoted from arryarryarry

Very naive of Hurst to sign him.

We signed a player who couldn't score in a brothel.

Dunno if it was naive.  Hurst had got a tune out of him at Shrewsbury and he was hardly flooded with options during that transfer window.  You only have to look at the number of players from two levels below or who hadn't had a club for months/years to realise he didn't really have a pot to urine in.  I think the mistake was that Payne was clearly his marquee signing, one he had reserved a wedge of his meagre budget for and it didn't work.  Bad signing? Yes.  Naive? Not for me.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
arryarryarry
January 20, 2022, 1:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from diehardmariner

Dunno if it was naive.  Hurst had got a tune out of him at Shrewsbury and he was hardly flooded with options during that transfer window.  You only have to look at the number of players from two levels below or who hadn't had a club for months/years to realise he didn't really have a pot to urine in.  I think the mistake was that Payne was clearly his marquee signing, one he had reserved a wedge of his meagre budget for and it didn't work.  Bad signing? Yes.  Naive? Not for me.

Do we really know what options he had, he is well known for signing his mates wherever he has been
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
diehardmariner
January 20, 2022, 1:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,085
Gold Stars: 518
No, you're right we don't know what was available to him.  It's speculating.

But I'm quietly confident that with a remotely decent budget his signings wouldn't have included two lads who hadn't kicked a ball in the professional game in the previous 12 and 32 months respectively (Lamy and Habergham).
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
Limerick Mariner
January 20, 2022, 1:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.55
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,553
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from rancido

Some people can start an argument with themselves in an empty room.

and some perform best in front of a crowd (McAtee?)

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
Biccys
January 20, 2022, 1:44pm
Posts Per Day: 2.05
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from rancido

Some people can start an argument with themselves in an empty room.

A neighbour of mine who works at Lincoln said exactly the same of our previous non chairman!

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stefan Payne

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.