5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
joe56
January 17, 2022, 8:33pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
My son, who lives in Birmingham, mentioned to me last week that Duncan Idehan was playing for Birmingham City Under 23s. It now turns out that he’s signed for Bristol City. Good for him. I was very sorry to see him leave Town. Let’s hope he goes on to fulfil his undoubted potential at a higher level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
arryarryarry
January 17, 2022, 8:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from joe56
My son, who lives in Birmingham, mentioned to me last week that Duncan Idehan was playing for Birmingham City Under 23s. It now turns out that he’s signed for Bristol City. Good for him. I was very sorry to see him leave Town. Let’s hope he goes on to fulfil his undoubted potential at a higher level.

In the games I saw him play I thought he showed some class as well as being a bit naive at times but I was surprised to see him let go especially when we seem to be short in that area having to bring in loan centre-halves.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 45
Chrisblor
January 17, 2022, 9:05pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,678
Gold Stars: 229
Seems to be the Joe Starbuck situation all over again - youth team player around the fringes of the first team but they haven't through by the time they're 18/19, so we release them because we can't afford to continue paying their wages and they get hoovered up by a Championship U23 side who have the resources to develop them for another couple of years.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 45
Son of Cod
January 17, 2022, 9:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.94
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,322
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Chrisblor
Seems to be the Joe Starbuck situation all over again - youth team player around the fringes of the first team but they haven't through by the time they're 18/19, so we release them because we can't afford to continue paying their wages and they get hoovered up by a Championship U23 side who have the resources to develop them for another couple of years.

Yeah, Starbuck's doing well apparently. Been a regular for Sheff Utd's U23s and was on the bench for the first team in the FA Cup vs Wolves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 45
Southwark Mariner
January 17, 2022, 9:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,537
Gold Stars: 80
Grimsby Town Football Club can confirm that an agreement has been reached with Sheffield United for the transfer of Joe Starbuck to join their Under 23's squad.

Possibly a free transfer but with a sell-on clause?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 45
Swansea_Mariner
January 17, 2022, 10:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
It's a bit bizzare really so we had a 19 year old centre back who Hurst didn't provide any opportunities to, released and then ends up at a championship club. Meanwhile we loan not one but two 19 year old centre backs from championship clubs to provide cover.

In other news looks like Montel Gibson is on his way back to league football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 45
jamesgtfc
January 17, 2022, 10:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,815
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
It's a bit bizzare really so we had a 19 year old centre back who Hurst didn't provide any opportunities to, released and then ends up at a championship club. Meanwhile we loan not one but two 19 year old centre backs from championship clubs to provide cover.

In other news looks like Montel Gibson is on his way back to league football.

I know Hurst gives a couple of young lads a pro deal every year but his track record of getting them into the first team isn't great.

He gave Clifton and Wright their first deals. Slade offered Wright a short-term deal and gave Clifton his debut (coming on in a 3-0 defeat at Yeovil I think) but it was Jolley who trusted Clifton the most. I'd go as far as saying if it wasn't for Jolley, the likes of Clifton and Wright would have been on the professional scrap heap back in 2018.

I really hope we can start keeping some of these young lads around because we are always told how good our academy is yet May arrives and first year pros are released to make way for another couple of token first year pros.

Khouri impressed last season yet can't get in the team (other than a rare 5 minutes against Altrincham).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 45
aldi_01
January 18, 2022, 6:03am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Nothing about Idehan suggested he’d have been good enough for this season. He’s not a patch on Towler and playing for an u23s team doesn’t mean he’s championship quality. He may make it, and if he does so be it but that’s not a reflection on us.

This season is make or break for Wright, injuries are stacking up and there’s only so long teams will be able to sustain those lengthy injury lay offs. Clifton, another that had he not been local may have found himself released. This season he’s really stepped up but prior to this, and possibly last, he wasn’t any better or any worse than what we had.

Championship clubs operate like top flight clubs and have huge squads and u23s teams, they can hoover lads up and plenty are happy to earn a crust doing that for a while and then probably work their way back down the divisions…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 45
ska face
January 18, 2022, 7:24am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,344
Gold Stars: 820
For every Towler in Championship u23 squads, there’s a Morton.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 45
ex-merseymariner
January 18, 2022, 7:26am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,397
Gold Stars: 9
[quote=465]It's a bit bizzare really so we had a 19 year old centre back who Hurst didn't provide any opportunities to, released and then ends up at a championship club. Meanwhile we loan not one but two 19 year old centre backs from championship clubs to provide cover.
/quote]

How is it bizarre?  A while after we let him go,  Idehen has been given a 6 month deal to prove himself, quite possibly on a lower wage than Runaway gave him.  You could argue it is a move upwards, but also that it is sideways in terms of opposition. And brizzle will have plenty of good players ahead of him, Towler for one!

Idehen is 19, and may yet make it, but he has had a number of teams already and unlike starbuck there wasn't any interest when hurst made him available.   Some people seem to want to knock every hurst decision.  Might be better to see what happens after 6 months on this one, he could yet end up back in non league...

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 45
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Duncan Idehan

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.