This thread currently has 2,780 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Bomhead
January 15, 2022, 10:07pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: -54
Gold Stars: 1
I see our goalie wore red today and we are back winning.Why ooh why  do they keep wearing that unlucky lime green outfit.Please  burn it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Withnail
January 15, 2022, 11:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,425
Gold Stars: 33
For the benefit of young uns, green is seen an unlucky colour for fishermen, which is why we never traditionally had a green goalkeeper's jersey (certainly not under Buckley Mark I).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
Poojah
January 15, 2022, 11:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,489
Quoted from Withnail
For the benefit of young uns, green is seen an unlucky colour for fishermen, which is why we never traditionally had a green goalkeeper's jersey (certainly not under Buckley Mark I).

I’m familiar with this story, but is it actually true that Buckley put a stop to it? We definitely had green ‘keeper shirts under Buckley, as evidenced by Rhys Wilmott…

[img]https://i.ibb.co/YD81bbc/42-BAFBD0-FC87-445-B-B24-B-7-FC3-F2-D71-BA5.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/xFhG0PV/12-CD91-A9-D5-EA-4104-AB34-81-FCBBA43-AD1.jpg[/img]

And if we’re calling this season’s effort ‘green’, then so was Paul Crichton’s in the early-90s…

[img]https://c8.alamy.com/comp/HN60B4/paul-crichton-grimsby-town-fc-07-september-1993-HN60B4.jpg[/img]
[img]https://c8.alamy.com/comp/GBFP9E/paul-crichton-grimsby-town-punches-clear-from-robert-rosario-nottingham-GBFP9E.jpg[/img]

https://youtu.be/yN4ibAZY7C0

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
Withnail
January 16, 2022, 12:09am
Table Wine Drinker
Not 100% TBH. Just seem to recall Steve Sherwood wore yellow when most opposition goalies wore green. It was during this time I heard about green being an unlucky colour for fishermen. But it's hard to argue against the visual evidence you've put forward...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
petethemariner
January 16, 2022, 12:15am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Pretty sure Nige Batch wore green on a fairly regular basis and we didn't do too badly when he played, personally I think this green shirt thing is a lot of superstitious baloney.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
Poojah
January 16, 2022, 12:24am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Withnail
Not 100% TBH. Just seem to recall Steve Sherwood wore yellow when most opposition goalies wore green. It was during this time I heard about green being an unlucky colour for fishermen. But it's hard to argue against the visual evidence you've put forward...

I think there’s probably something in it, because in the close to 30 years I’ve been following Town these are the only examples I can think of that you could reasonably call ‘green’ (I think the official description of this season’s kit is ‘fluo’).  

But yeah, given the photos above, I’d love to know how / when / if it actually started.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
Withnail
January 16, 2022, 12:31am
Table Wine Drinker
Agreed. Just had a quick squiz on Google pics and the vast majority, (not including the Wilmott and Crichton tops you highlighted) are not green, (other than Batchy and one Dixon goalie top (which may not have ever been actually used). Whether it's simply a case of green falling out of fashion I don't know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
Poojah
January 16, 2022, 12:48am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Withnail
Agreed. Just had a quick squiz on Google pics and the vast majority, (not including the Wilmott and Crichton tops you highlighted) are not green, (other than Batchy and one Dixon goalie top (which may not have ever been actually used). Whether it's simply a case of green falling out of fashion I don't know.

If you’re on about this one, I can’t ever remember this being used in a game. It would have been in the Coyne / Croudson era when there were were red, yellow and blue versions but I never saw this on the pitch. Weird that it even exists, actually.

[img]https://www.oldfootballshirts.com/img/shirts/77/grimsby-town-goalkeeper-football-shirt-1998-1999-s_20471_1.jpg[/img]

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
Happy_Mariner
January 16, 2022, 6:12am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +69
I seem to remember reading years ago that the reason for not wearing a green top was that if the trawler returned from sea and the captain was in a green jumper it meant they’d lost a man at sea. No idea if that is true though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
cannylad68
January 16, 2022, 7:31am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
I'm pretty sure it started in George Kerr's era, that Town goalies wore green, such as Nigel Batch.

I once asked George the reason, and he said it was a load of baloney, never wearing green.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
aldi_01
January 16, 2022, 8:19am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Forgot the discussion about green kits…look at the diadora kits😍that training wear…those were the days…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
MrFisherman
January 16, 2022, 9:57am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: -168
Wasn't it Mick Lyons who picked up on green being unlucky 🤔
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
January 16, 2022, 10:54am
Guest User
Why are  people trying to destroy the unlucky  wearing green story.The green thing is a great story bearing in mind we were/ are a fishing Town with a great history. I've always thought it was a way of remembering men who risked their lives and many lost their lives at sea and showing a little respect to them. I know I may be wrong but I don't care.
Reply: 12 - 22
rancido
January 16, 2022, 3:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,445
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from Withnail

As a 15 year old I went on a " pleasure trip " in 1963 for a 28 day trip to Greenland on the trawler Velinda. Three days out I went on the bridge wearing a green shirt ( I didn't know the superstition then) and the mate ripped it off my back and told me in no uncertain terms never to wear anything green again or I would be in the " oggin " - his words !

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
SouthLakesMariner
January 17, 2022, 12:47am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +921
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from 4055
Why are  people trying to destroy the unlucky  wearing green story.The green thing is a great story bearing in mind we were/ are a fishing Town with a great history. I've always thought it was a way of remembering men who risked their lives and many lost their lives at sea and showing a little respect to them. I know I may be wrong but I don't care.

I love this post.

If we all analysed things logically and literally, none of us would turn up at Blundell Park on a Saturday afternoon. It’s our shared cultural history that binds us and our club together. I’ve retold this story so many times to people over the years and frankly don’t care if it’s factually correct, folklore or otherwise. Put quite simply it’s a story that connects GTFC to the cultural roots of it’s community and that in itself makes it worth re-telling.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
SouthLakesMariner
January 17, 2022, 12:49am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +921
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from rancido

As a 15 year old I went on a " pleasure trip " in 1963 for a 28 day trip to Greenland on the trawler Velinda. Three days out I went on the bridge wearing a green shirt ( I didn't know the superstition then) and the mate ripped it off my back and told me in no uncertain terms never to wear anything green again or I would be in the " oggin " - his words !

And I love this post even more - a first-hand account of why a GTFC goalkeeper shouldn’t wear green.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
ginnywings
January 17, 2022, 1:59am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
As the son of a fisherman, I can say that the wearing of green was frowned upon. Another thing that never happened would be the washing of clothes on the same day that a family member set sail. It was thought that this was tempting fate and could lead to the fishermen being washed away at sea.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
Les Brechin
January 17, 2022, 9:28am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Batchy nearly always wore green and it didn't really bring him too much bad luck.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
Posh Harry
January 17, 2022, 10:25am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Les Brechin
Batchy nearly always wore green and it didn't really bring him too much bad luck.

Not sure steve foley would agree Les 😳
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
rancido
January 17, 2022, 3:59pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,445
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from ginnywings
As the son of a fisherman, I can say that the wearing of green was frowned upon. Another thing that never happened would be the washing of clothes on the same day that a family member set sail. It was thought that this was tempting fate and could lead to the fishermen being washed away at sea.

Lots of superstitions as regards fisherman, especially at sea. You never used the word "rabbits" - usually referred to them as underground greyhounds!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
Caveman
January 17, 2022, 4:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +744
Gold Stars: 15
During my early years of watching Town our two main
goalkeepers were George Tweedy and Wilf Chisholm.

They would wear either red or blue and no way, due to
superstitions related to our fishing background, would
a green jersey be worn. The jersey would have a turtle-kneck
and they wore cloth caps.

In our last season in Division One they shipped 111 goals.

Lord knows how many it would have been if they had
worn green !
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 22
Azimuth
January 17, 2022, 8:41pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 58
Green is a very unlucky colour for superstitious fishermen, in particular hats and jumpers, there are lots of superstions with the fishermen of both GY and Hull, they would not say a lot of words at sea, rats where known as longtails, rabbits was a unlucky word, seeing a clergyman, nun or funeral on the way to the ship was a bad omen.
I believe there is some truth in town keepers not wearing green and remember my Grandad telling me the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 22
mariner tommy
January 17, 2022, 9:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,869
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from petethemariner
Pretty sure Nige Batch wore green on a fairly regular basis and we didn't do too badly when he played, personally I think this green shirt thing is a lot of superstitious baloney.

And Harry Wainman definitely wore green.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Unlucky Green Goalie Kit

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.