MuddyWaters
January 13, 2022, 7:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from ginnywings

Acceptance of mediocrity, or acceptance of the reality?

The reality is that we’re going backwards at present. I certainly didn’t envisage our squad needing major surgery just to get a team on the pitch but it does.

For all the hype, not much has actually changed.
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 115
lukeo
January 13, 2022, 8:25am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,371
Gold Stars: 145
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

I commented on another thread last night about this and in demonstrates that despite all the comments we read on here about the Buckley days and being critical as soon as a long ball is played that in reality all a number of fans care about is the result and can’t enjoy a match unless we’ve won.

I acknowledge this bad run has gone on far too long and needs to be addressed however, the vast majority of the defeats were in away matches and our home form has remained very good despite the two defeats. Furthermore the vast majority of home matches have been very enjoyable and entertaining including the two games that were lost as pretty evenly matched teams battled it out and unfortunately we were the losers.

I like winning as much as the next man but I also want to enjoy going to BP and this season I have albeit I’m drunk off when we lose and face the trip back to Lincoln in depressed mode but once you look back at the game I can rationally look back and say it was a match worth going to. Luckily our poorer performances have resulted in wins and that always makes attending worthwhile.

I understand fans moaning about where we are in the league and this dreadful run but turning your back on attending when the home matches have been entertaining seems to me self defeating and shows I guess that we really only have a hard core of between 3 & 4 thousand fans and the rest would be regarded in “Fishy Terms” as plastic supporters.

Very good post. Stop being sensible. 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 115
lukeo
January 13, 2022, 8:34am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,371
Gold Stars: 145
Quoted from marinerdazza
I’d have accepted 10th this season. I said it some time ago, it’d probably on here somewhere. I still would. Next season is the defining season for me. Red star bukkake coming up.

Everyone has different views and opinions. Although I have to say this league is very difficult too get out and i am willing to be patient and don't expect promotion this season or even next.. But what I do expect is a top 7 finish. Money has been chucked around in this league but there's no way we should be finishing outside the top 7. If we do, for me it's a failed season. Yes we are re building, yes it's a fresh start and yes I am 100% behind PH still. But for me, this should be the aim. It's more than reasonable.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 115
louth_in_the_south
January 13, 2022, 8:35am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,671
Gold Stars: 94
Playoffs are really a minimum for us this season given the resources and budget available to hurst in terms of NL teams .
There are plenty of other options out there , one win in a play off final doesn’t mean he’s the only manager who can accomplish that.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 115
jamesgtfc
January 13, 2022, 9:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,938
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from lukeo

Everyone has different views and opinions. Although I have to say this league is very difficult too get out and i am willing to be patient and don't expect promotion this season or even next.. But what I do expect is a top 7 finish. Money has been chucked around in this league but there's no way we should be finishing outside the top 7. If we do, for me it's a failed season. Yes we are re building, yes it's a fresh start and yes I am 100% behind PH still. But for me, this should be the aim. It's more than reasonable.

UTM

7th is only 4 places higher than our first two seasons down here last time so not unreasonable. 3 years is my prediction for promotion, didn't necessarily expect the play offs this season but expectations move once the season is underway and having been top after 10 games, those expectations change too.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 115
pen penfras
January 13, 2022, 9:11am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The reality is that we’re going backwards at present. I certainly didn’t envisage our squad needing major surgery just to get a team on the pitch but it does.

For all the hype, not much has actually changed.

Does anybody genuinely believe our budget is better than last time we were down here? If it is, then it's been terribly managed to have a squad that was short numbered and unbalanced from day 1 of the season.

With the money in the bank, parachute payments and fan positivity, this was the season to give it a real go. I know there's 3/4 other big spenders, but the message is coming through as more of the same with some minor off field improvements. Maybe major if we get a decent training ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 115
ska face
January 13, 2022, 9:17am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,606
Gold Stars: 840
Don’t forget that £500,000 immediately disappeared out of the budget into your mate’s back pocket. Plus another £250k for Pollock, £100k from Dembele and £160k from the sale of Grist has disappeared into the same black hole.

That’s £1.1m siphoned from the budget this season before anyone’s had chance to even look at it.
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 115
jamesgtfc
January 13, 2022, 9:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,938
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from ska face
Don’t forget that £500,000 immediately disappeared out of the budget into your mate’s back pocket. Plus another £250k for Pollock, £100k from Dembele and £160k from the sale of Grist has disappeared into the same black hole.

That’s £1.1m siphoned from the budget this season before anyone’s had chance to even look at it.

Won't the £500k be in next seasons budget because I don't think it's due until May but still; £600k in sales and none of it spent on the squad.

Whilst I think the clause insisting we do it is a bit naughty, I would have expected a good proportion of those fees to go towards paying him off anyway.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 115
Northbank Mariner
January 13, 2022, 9:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from pen penfras

Does anybody genuinely believe our budget is better than last time we were down here? If it is, then it's been terribly managed to have a squad that was short numbered and unbalanced from day 1 of the season.

With the money in the bank, parachute payments and fan positivity, this was the season to give it a real go. I know there's 3/4 other big spenders, but the message is coming through as more of the same with some minor off field improvements. Maybe major if we get a decent training ground.

Passively still defending JSF there!..I would say the off field improvements are far from minor!..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 115
pen penfras
January 13, 2022, 11:09am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Passively still defending JSF there!..I would say the off field improvements are far from minor!..

What major improvements have we seen? Communications that have similar content, but delivered much better. A playing team that has looked short from the off. A website that's slightly better, but looks very similar to the old one. A self inflicted shot in the foot with changing a badge that was against the principles that they developed. Every interview is about being sustainable, which is what we've spent 20 years doing. A new barrier that cost about the same as the top scorer in the league. Some sprinklers that mean we can water the pitch at half time.

It's progress, but it's not major. But the problem is not with the off the field, it's the fact that we have under spent on the team or poorly spent on it. This was the biggest income we are going to have down here short of some 'football fortune', and we know how well waiting for that has worked.

The loans aren't the problem, even the new guys said so. There was a large chunk of them in the bank account and normally new buyers would just pay off the old guy straight away to get a clean break. These were their terms and they've said they expect any money they put in to be paid back too, just through equity rather than loans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 115
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Saturday

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.