MuddyWaters
January 12, 2022, 10:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Vance Warner
Some surprisingly rational comments on this thread and general agreement about where we are at. If we don’t make the play offs then finishing position doesn’t really matter as long as we are showing signs that we are improving for a promotion push next season. Paul Hurst has always improved us year on year so I’m confident he’ll do the same. If not then our owners haven’t got to where that have in life by being afraid to make tough decisions if they think it’s in the best interests of the business. I don’t want a change anytime soon but if it did happen I’d certainly to expect the recruitment process to be superior to anything we’ve had in the last 20 years.

Afraid I disagree with you. Hurst will have had three windows. Failure to reach the playoffs would be the tipping point for me.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 115
ginnywings
January 12, 2022, 10:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from HerveJosse

I think more accurately it is easier to remember the  teams that stay in the National League and support your arguement such as Chesterfield and easier to forget the ones that don’t stay there and return . For proper football clubs which I include us as one I think the ratio is more like 50/50 and I would rather be in the positive 50 percent then the negative.

So, we are talking about 'proper' football clubs. Well that's a subjective argument as the power in football has shifted considerably over the last decade especially.

I would also question your 50/50 stat, which you have just plucked out of the air.

And saying you would rather be in the positive 50% than the negative. Well who wouldn't?

I am willing to bet that if you named all the 'proper' teams that have gone into non league, there are very few who have come back up inside 3 seasons or more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 115
HerveJosse
January 12, 2022, 10:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,184
Gold Stars: 139
Ok I give in we are doomed . The Fishy’s acceptance of mediocrity or worse wins and I retire from it gracefully
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 115
ginnywings
January 12, 2022, 11:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from HerveJosse
Ok I give in we are doomed . The Fishy’s acceptance of mediocrity or worse wins and I retire from it gracefully

Acceptance of mediocrity, or acceptance of the reality?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 115
forza ivano
January 12, 2022, 11:10pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from HerveJosse

You're the epitome of everything that's wrong with social media and the general level of debate nowadays.
It's not the black and white case you make out it to be.like most things it's far more nuanced. Looking at a couple of articles it would be truer to say that there are a number of different groupings. There are those that go bust and revive as Phoenix clubs (Chester, Wimbledon,  Darlo). A few sink to a lower level ( boston, kidderminster, york)There are a few who bounce straight back (orient, bristol rovers), some remain non league for many years (wrexham, torquay) and there are others who take a bit of time, but do get promoted, which is by far the biggest group.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 115
marinerdazza
January 12, 2022, 11:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,779
Gold Stars: 81
I’d have accepted 10th this season. I said it some time ago, it’d probably on here somewhere. I still would. Next season is the defining season for me. Red star bukkake coming up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 115
marinerdazza
January 12, 2022, 11:20pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,779
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from HerveJosse

Nice one. Byeeee.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 115
GibMariner
January 13, 2022, 2:43am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -938
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from arryarryarry

Erm...............he had most of Holloway's squad plus was it 12 of his own players some he chose because they were his mates and he still ended up with a worse points per game total than Holloway.

This
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 115
GibMariner
January 13, 2022, 2:56am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -938
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from ginnywings
I think fans have unrealistic expectations of our standing right now. We are non league and are competing against sides as big or bigger than we are. Certainly sides that have had more time to stabilise and build squads: some of whom have much bigger budgets and some who have access to more players than we do because of their geography.

When Chesterfield went down 4 years ago, they finished 14th in their first season and 20th in their second season. It wasn't until last season that they made the play offs by 1 point. Notts County are huge at this level but are still down here, while sides like Sutton, Harrogate and Barrow are plying their trade in the EFL.

Between 2015 and 2018, Chesterfield had 10 managers and none could stop the slide from League 1 to non league and I bet some of those managers would be applying for the Town job should it become available. Since they entered non league they have had 5 more managers, with the current incumbent being in post for 18 months, by far the longest stint since their problems started. Guess you can tell what my point is.

It's going to be a slog to get out of this league and isn't going to happen overnight. We may still make the play offs and with a bit of luck and a fair wind, could even prevail, but the likelihood is that we will still be in this league at the start of next season.

I know it's not a popular opinion and please feel free to pick it to pieces, but for me, what we need right now is stability and building a squad to compete at the right end of the league. I think Hurst is capable of that and has shown it in the past, so I would be inclined to stick with what we have and ride out this terrible run we are on.

Still an apologist then Ginny.

Stability is built on something solid and approaching 30 sinings since Hursts arrival he’s had ample opportunity me thinks.

I don’t expect to win the Leauge but 1 win in 11 will not inspire good players to come.

This carries on and the place will be toxic.

They say there’s money available, so I don’t get why we have waited until the window to sort this as there are plenty of pickings at our level and below.

Apologies for not being an apologist.
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 115
aldi_01
January 13, 2022, 5:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from GibMariner

Still an apologist then Ginny.

Stability is built on something solid and approaching 30 sinings since Hursts arrival he’s had ample opportunity me thinks.

I don’t expect to win the Leauge but 1 win in 11 will not inspire good players to come.

This carries on and the place will be toxic.

They say there’s money available, so I don’t get why we have waited until the window to sort this as there are plenty of pickings at our level and below.

Apologies for not being an apologist.

Care to provide a list of those pickings? Then, care to highlight the ones that would improve us?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 115
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Saturday

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.