1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
jamesgtfc
January 12, 2022, 11:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
Well we have currently lost 6 players this month in Sears, Hunt, Bapaga, Revan, Bell and Towler (technically December) which leaves us with 3 senior centre backs and 2 full backs, one of whom did his hamstring last night.

Whilst our squad is down to the bare bones, we have 3 keepers fit and available for selection but only 3 central midfielders in Coke, Fox and the suspended Clifton although Spokes is out on loan and I'm not sure where Khouri plays. A plethora of wingers in Scannell, Wright, Sousa, Maguire-Drew and Grant yet only 3 strikers if you include McAtee. Our squad is woefully unbalanced.

A lot of what has gone back are loans. Other than Hunt and Towler, the others haven't featured enough for whatever reason but they certainly need replacing now. We were told by Andrew Pettit in the DN35 podcast that our January business will be looking to the long-term and pointed to Jordan Maguire-Drew as evidence of that because he's under contract for next season.

Over to you Paul, I hope you have more than a few loans and short-term contracts up your sleeve over the next 3 weeks. There is also the small matter of needing to win our first game in a while on Saturday too. Big month for Hurst (and 1878 too) now as he could lose the fans completely if this continues.
Logged Online
Private Message
Son of Cod
January 12, 2022, 11:52am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Has Efete's injury been confirmed as a hamstring?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 6
TwoLeftFeet
January 12, 2022, 11:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,069
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from Son of Cod
Has Efete's injury been confirmed as a hamstring?

According to Hurst last night it is a hamstring injury
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 6
Roast Em Bobby
January 12, 2022, 11:56am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,720
Gold Stars: 43
PH said in his recent interview that permanent deals are proving more difficult and that loans deals are much easier to do. With this in mind it makes sense that we would get rid of Bapaga and Revan, to make space for new loanees.

I fully expect to see us bringing in four/five new loans over the next couple of weeks. I'm not panicking yet. Also confident we will win on Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 6
jamesgtfc
January 12, 2022, 12:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
PH said in his recent interview that permanent deals are proving more difficult and that loans deals are much easier to do. With this in mind it makes sense that we would get rid of Bapaga and Revan, to make space for new loanees.

I fully expect to see us bringing in four/five new loans over the next couple of weeks. I'm not panicking yet. Also confident we will win on Saturday

The owners have said that money is there and our business in January will be long-term yet Hurst is contradicting that and it doesn't fit in with the long-term project that the board like to speak about.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 6
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 12, 2022, 1:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,648
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from jamesgtfc

The owners have said that money is there and our business in January will be long-term yet Hurst is contradicting that and it doesn't fit in with the long-term project that the board like to speak about.

The difference between philosophy and reality I guess. The clubs wishes are clear but as many clubs are finding out other teams will not release players because of covid and the need to field a competitive side. If they are loans let’s hope they are more Matete than Morton in quality but I personally hope we can attract a few more permanent players who will form part of a more settled squad going forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 6
jamesgtfc
January 12, 2022, 2:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

The difference between philosophy and reality I guess. The clubs wishes are clear but as many clubs are finding out other teams will not release players because of covid and the need to field a competitive side. If they are loans let’s hope they are more Matete than Morton in quality but I personally hope we can attract a few more permanent players who will form part of a more settled squad going forward.

It's always balancing things and I would be happy with a couple of loan signings coming in this month alongside some permanent acquisitions. The board can't hide behind Covid as a reason for permanent moves not materialising because they've come out with a comment about our January plans in the midst of Omicron cases grinding football to a halt.

As fans I think we are all sick of the constant summer churn. Changing managers every season doesn't help either so I really hope Hurst can sort this out but short-term signings this month will mean we have another summer of most players departing again.

Like I said, the board have said the money is there, I don't expect us to pay over the odds but I'm sure there are a few players currently playing at this level or the one below that would add something to our team for a small fee.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lower Turnover of Players

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.