Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bapaga and Revan (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 415 Guests

Bapaga and Revan (merged)

This thread currently has 4,840 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
January 12, 2022, 11:52am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,159
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from pontoonlew

Sorry, when did Bapaga become ineffective? His 'purple patch' happened when he won 3 penalties and scored twice in 3 games. He started one game after his ridiculously harsh red card and was limited to 43 minutes from the bench, all whilst in a losing position.

I accept some might want to back Hursts decision here but let's not reinvent history

he wasn't very good at bromsgrove and was bloody awful at wealdstone. didn't work hard enough for me
i will be gobsmacked if revan ever gerts anywhere near Villa's first team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 35
Maringer
January 12, 2022, 12:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from pontoonlew

Sorry, when did Bapaga become ineffective? His 'purple patch' happened when he won 3 penalties and scored twice in 3 games. He started one game after his ridiculously harsh red card and was limited to 43 minutes from the bench, all whilst in a losing position.

I accept some might want to back Hursts decision here but let's not reinvent history

Incorrect:

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=123240

He started the Yeovil game (which we won - can't remember if he won the penalty?), played all 90 minutes in the defeat at Wealdstone, played an hour of the Cup defeat at Kidderminster and then got 20 minutes off the bench in the defeats at Aldershot and Solihull. That indicates a loss of form to me, which wouldn't be a surprise given his slow start to the season. Hurst mentioned in an interview the other day that he was ill, so perhaps that is something to do with him dropping out of the running.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 35
RichMariner
January 12, 2022, 12:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
We'll never know the details but, from the outside at least, I'm disappointed that we didn't see more of Bapaga and even more disappointed that he's been recalled.

I also seem to remember either he (or maybe Hurst) said he could potentially play in the McAtee role? And did he do that v Bromsgrove?

Two things I've found interesting of late — firstly, how much game time we've given to loan players when compared to other teams in the division (that graphic was doing the rounds a couple of weeks back). I didn't have PH down as a manager who relied on loan players that much.

Because (second thing) when we won promotion in 15/16, I don't believe we had many players on loan that season. It felt like a squad that had been built gradually over time. A few short term contracts like Nolan, but not many loans.

I remember Hurst getting rid of Scott Nielsen and Aswad Thomas - both more than capable players at this level. Disagreed with it at the time but next season? Promoted.

It's always hard to tell what will happen next, and whether the decision not to play Bapaga more (if possible) was right.

PH must have a few signings up his sleeve. But it's funny that when our squad was at its largest, we couldn't (and still can't) get a result.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 22 - 35
Chrisblor
January 12, 2022, 12:48pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,780
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from Les Brechin

You're too young to remember Jack Lester then?  

Yes, he left town when I was 12.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 35
arryarryarry
January 12, 2022, 12:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Maringer

Incorrect:

He started the Yeovil game (which we won - can't remember if he won the penalty?), played all 90 minutes in the defeat at Wealdstone, played an hour of the Cup defeat at Kidderminster and then got 20 minutes off the bench in the defeats at Aldershot and Solihull. That indicates a loss of form to me, which wouldn't be a surprise given his slow start to the season. Hurst mentioned in an interview the other day that he was ill, so perhaps that is something to do with him dropping out of the running.

Considering the last 11 matches I don't think Bapaga is the only one who has lost form.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 35
Maringer
January 12, 2022, 12:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Considering the last 11 matches I don't think Bapaga is the only one who has lost form.

You're not wrong!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 35
pontoonlew
January 12, 2022, 1:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,994
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Maringer

Incorrect:

So it was all correct aside from the fact he started against Kidderminster?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 35
Abdul19
January 12, 2022, 1:42pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Maringer

Incorrect:

Yep, got to the ball just before the keeper who took him out.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 35
toontown
January 12, 2022, 2:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,269
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from forza ivano

he wasn't very good at bromsgrove and was bloody awful at wealdstone. didn't work hard enough for me

I think the lack of work rate is key here. Hurst obviously was prepared to put up with it whilst we were winning and bapaga was giving lots of end product. As soon as the team loses form his first thought is towards the keep us shape type thinking so he is prepared to forgive sousas lack of end product in return for his work rate, bapaga he isn't so forgiving with. And that is despite Hurst as good as saying sousa needs to produce more in the box.

I personally would rather have seen bapaga come on in games like v notts etc when we r matching teams and its getting late but we can't find a goal. I think Hurst sees him as risking the 1 point he currently has (until they score) rather than being an opportunity for 2 more.

Sousa and bapaga combined would be great (work rate and getting us up the pitch combined with end product) but obviously wouldn't be playing for us if so.

I am definitely disappointed bapaga wasn't used more I think his ability invthe box is probably more what the team has been missing over the last 11 gamed with 1 win, rather than one more player with work rate but no invention in the final third.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 35
Maringer
January 12, 2022, 2:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

So it was all correct aside from the fact he started against Kidderminster?

Yes, which means it was incorrect.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bapaga and Revan (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.