Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Didn’t Deserve To Lose
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 361 Guests

Didn’t Deserve To Lose

This thread currently has 2,734 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Fillipe Noche
January 12, 2022, 8:05am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
I think we have to quit using the phrase “We Didn’t Deserve To Lose”.

We lost, and using this phrase actually really means “We Didn’t Know How To Win”.

If you don’t learn how to win games, especially against tough opponents, then you aren’t getting out of the rut, and then it’s not long before the phrase changes to “We Didn’t Deserve To Win”, when the below par performances continue.

We’ve looked decent in the last two games, without demonstrating any real cutting edge, or know how to turn difficult games with fine margins into victory. That’s the crux of the matter really.

In my view we have a manager of a team that has a great opportunity to at least to make the play offs, in a league where more teams than ever can qualify for them. So I’d give him January and as as long as it then takes to then not make those play offs. It’s at that stage Id decide it’s time for a managerial change.

But in the meantime we need to stop hanging onto the phrase that we didn’t deserve to lose, as there are many losers that didn’t deserve to do so, but lacked what it takes to win. That still makes them losers
Logged Offline
Private Message
aussiej
January 12, 2022, 9:12am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +102
Gold Stars: 17
Could not agree more...  These excuses (did not deserve to lose) are just giving them free get out of jail cards..
Its time to toughen up...  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
Mallyner
January 12, 2022, 9:35am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,509
Gold Stars: 22
There are so many debates going on here and although I imagine all those magnificent supporters who travelled to Halifax will be more devastated than I am, as usual my spirits are very low after a Town defeat.

At the end of the day and despite all the rules and technicalities, football is a very simple game and the idea is to score more goals than the opposition. And if we didn't do that, despite often outplaying the opposition, can we say we didn't deserve to lose?  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
Swansea_Mariner
January 12, 2022, 10:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,386
Gold Stars: 62
Yeah its pretty much nonsense.

I feel the same way about when Stockwood keeps bringing up 'it's the only business where you can be the better team but still not get the result' he's said it a few times and it's not, same applys to most sports, seen it happen loads of times in boxing as an example over the years.

Excuses are like bottom-holes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
jamesgtfc
January 12, 2022, 12:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
The people who went may say otherwise but the only "chances" of note I remember from last night on the radio are speculative and somewhat wayward efforts from McAtee and a weak shot from JMD.

Since 18th December we've played 180 minutes of football against the team currently top of the league, scoring 1 and conceding 2. Most people were absolutely delighted we managed to get a last minute equaliser against Halifax yet losing to a penalty shows we are in freefall.

I actually thought Halifax managed the first game well. Our possession and dominance was on their terms and it was going to take something special to score; which it did. That said, we didn't disgrace ourselves and I do think we played well in that game but can't comment on last night as I wasn't there.

The run we are on is concerning but the last 2 games (our only games since 18th December) have been against a very good and organised Halifax team. On Saturday we are up against 16th place Altrincham so all pressure is back on us to get a win and end this dreadful run.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
Maringer
January 12, 2022, 12:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,142
Gold Stars: 180
Halifax 'managed' the first game well, with the assistance of some inept refereeing and wayward shooting.

That said, it was the same case as we've seen lately where we defend well throughout the game, make 1 mistake and are duly punished.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
quebec38
January 12, 2022, 12:59pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,549
Gold Stars: 44
I think this is a really good point.

I often come away from games saying how well we played and didn’t deserve to lose or should have taken all 3 points. Notts Co, Chesterfield and Halifax last week pop in to my head straight away. But that’s 3 games where we’ve taken a total of 1 point from 9.

Add that to the games we lose where we deserved to but should have gone in to them expecting a win - Wealdstone and Aldershot, the list goes on… and all of a sudden you’re not getting points from anywhere.

I believe we actually have one of the strongest sides in the division. Granted, it could do with 1 or 2 more additions but at what point do you say the manager should be doing better?

We are now 6 points from the playoffs. No games in hand so it’s not even a case of well if we win our games in hand we’ll be back amongst it in 4th or whatever.

There are 9 sides above us in the league now. Some just have a better squad - the likes of Stockport, Chesterfield. Some are probably more similar in ability but obviously coached much better - Halifax (top), BW, Bromley and Notts Co. And then there are the D&Rs and SMs who aren’t as good on paper but are more efficient than us when it comes to picking up points.

I have been all over defending Hurst and HATE seeing the manager get sacked. I don’t think it helps one bit. But at what point do you say enough is enough?

At the start of the season I thought we have to be making the playoffs as a minimum or Hurst goes. Fair enough we are still only halfway through the season now but we are only get further from the playoffs each week. Halifax, Chesterfield, BW, Wrexham, Stockport, Notts Co and Bromley are all sides that aren’t going to weaken over the second half of the season and drop away from the playoffs. We’re not getting in there without a change in some way, I’m afraid.

It’s not good enough.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
Mayaman
January 12, 2022, 1:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,259
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Yeah its pretty much nonsense.

I feel the same way about when Stockwood keeps bringing up 'it's the only business where you can be the better team but still not get the result' he's said it a few times and it's not, same applys to most sports, seen it happen loads of times in boxing as an example over the years.

Excuses are like bottom-holes

Tesla v Edison.  The latter was a tea leaf who knew how to market stuff.  The former died penniless.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
Madeleymariner
January 12, 2022, 1:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Hurst might get a couple of players in that start really well and we have a bit of an upturn, but like many players who seem to arrive, look really good for a couple of months will suddenly look  mediocre as all their flair/attacking intent is coached out of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
chipsandgravy
January 12, 2022, 1:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +3,538
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Hurst might get a couple of players in that start really well and we have a bit of an upturn, but like many players who seem to arrive, look really good for a couple of months will suddenly look  mediocre as all their flair/attacking intent is coached out of them.

I agree. He did exactly the same with Bogle, Amond, Nolan, and Arnold to name a but a few.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Didn’t Deserve To Lose

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.