Mayaman
January 10, 2022, 2:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,400
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from jamesgtfc

People always used to say that about Danny Coyne too but keepers have been expected to come collect crosses for as long as I can remember. In terms of the game changing, more is made of goalkeepers having good feet and a good range of distribution these days.

You can also distribute by throwing it out. Peter Schmeichel was the master at that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 37
Mayaman
January 10, 2022, 2:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

People always used to say that about Danny Coyne too but keepers have been expected to come collect crosses for as long as I can remember. In terms of the game changing, more is made of goalkeepers having good feet and a good range of distribution these days.

We all have weaknesses in our place of work.  Wouldn't you work on them though?  I know I do.  McKeown has nothing else to do all week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 37
Mayaman
January 10, 2022, 2:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

And it was true of Danny Coyne. At 5ft 11” he was a proper wee man for a modern ‘keeper but every other area of his game was so exceptional I think most let it go. His distribution possibly wasn’t brilliant either, actually, but under Buckley most balls were played short anyway and under Lennie Lawrence he worked with one of England rugby’s conversion coaches and it made a real difference.

Mistake-wise, I can only remember two. The one that squirmed through him against Graeme Souness’ Blackburn  on TV and a misplaced pass and tackle that saw him sent off at Pompey in a game we won 2-1 at Pompey.

On the flip-side, he gave us some absolutely breathtaking goalkeeping performances. If I ever see a better performance from a ‘keeper than Coyne at QPR in 2001 then that will really be something. Highlights don’t do it justice - you had to be there.

https://youtu.be/2wQiisu7xcA

Awesome.  Had a bit of luck to bag the three points.  Someting that has been missing for a while.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 37
Mayaman
January 10, 2022, 2:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Of course, keepers get a lot of stick for making mistakes.  On the plus side for them, they have less competition. Outfield players are much more likely to be replaced due to tactical changes.  They are also more likely to be suspended or  injured, then they might find it hard to get back in the side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 37
Mayaman
January 10, 2022, 2:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Best keeper I ever saw play live was Simon Tracey (Sheff Utd).  He didn't make that many spectacular saves because his positional play was so good.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 37
DB
January 10, 2022, 2:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.48
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386
If current reports are correct that's 5 out, so I'm looking forward to some new recruits especially a No 9.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 37
forza ivano
January 10, 2022, 4:37pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,159
Gold Stars: 265
One thing that hasnt been.mentioned is the shed liad of money wed save if macca did leave.he has to be about the highest paid keeper in non league, and I'm.pretty certain he ain't the best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 37
ginnywings
January 10, 2022, 4:51pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,109
Gold Stars: 548
I've no axe to grind with Macca as he has been a good servant to the club, but watching him last week in that reserve game, his flaws were evident. I have always thought that he is too easily beaten from range and that's exactly what happened in the game. It was a great shot, but I feel Macca encouraged it by being a bit too far off his line and the shot curled over him into the top corner. May be doing him a disservice as McAtee played a terrible ball across the the pitch straight to their unmarked player, but he quickly sized up the situation and beat Macca from 20 yards.

Secondly, with there being only a small crowd, you can hear the players shouting and on more than one occasion you could hear Macca berating himself with spicy language for hitting clearances that went askew. FFS! was heard more than once.

Finally, in the second half, he played a ball when under no pressure straight to one of their players right in front of the goal. He was over to one side of the goal as well and played it to the open side of the goal, leaving his net completely unguarded. The player fluffed his lines by hitting the post, when it seemed easier to score and the ball went across the face of goal and out for a goal kick, so he got away with it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How many

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.