Poojah
January 9, 2022, 11:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,413
Gold Stars: 1,497
Quoted from jamesgtfc

People always used to say that about Danny Coyne too but keepers have been expected to come collect crosses for as long as I can remember. In terms of the game changing, more is made of goalkeepers having good feet and a good range of distribution these days.

And it was true of Danny Coyne. At 5ft 11” he was a proper wee man for a modern ‘keeper but every other area of his game was so exceptional I think most let it go. His distribution possibly wasn’t brilliant either, actually, but under Buckley most balls were played short anyway and under Lennie Lawrence he worked with one of England rugby’s conversion coaches and it made a real difference.

Mistake-wise, I can only remember two. The one that squirmed through him against Graeme Souness’ Blackburn  on TV and a misplaced pass and tackle that saw him sent off at Pompey in a game we won 2-1 at Pompey.

On the flip-side, he gave us some absolutely breathtaking goalkeeping performances. If I ever see a better performance from a ‘keeper than Coyne at QPR in 2001 then that will really be something. Highlights don’t do it justice - you had to be there.

https://youtu.be/2wQiisu7xcA

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 37
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
January 10, 2022, 1:19am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +827
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from grimsby pete
.......as we never have one on the bench on match days.

I think that's mainly when Pearson is playing, as he has been proven to be capable in goal several times during his career, as a replacement when his keeper has been sent off or injured.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 37
chaos33
January 10, 2022, 6:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from ska face

That old chestnut is it

What?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 37
pen penfras
January 10, 2022, 7:28am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from jamesgtfc

The game changes over time and I would say the role of a goalkeeper has changed quite a bit over the last 10 years. Whilst their primary job is to keep the ball out of the net, they don't just deal with back passes under no pressure now. Even at non-league level keepers are passed the ball under immense pressure and expected to deal with it.

The distribution of a keeper seems to be something that has come on leaps and bounds too with Jordan Pickford and Ederson being 2 notable examples but this is filtering down the leagues.

I think McKeown has great reflexes and is a good shot stopper but his distribution has always been a weakness in his game.

I've heard a few people say Pickford's distribution is good. I don't watch him much, but I remember 2 games for England where nearly every goal kick went out for a throw in. I've seen McKeown do that too, so maybe he is better than I thought...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 37
lukeo
January 10, 2022, 8:51am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,297
Gold Stars: 134
Pickford is usually very good at distribution. Obviously had a rough game that day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 37
jamesgtfc
January 10, 2022, 9:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,940
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from smokey111

I would rather my keeper punch and collect crosses effectively than dink a 30 yard pass to a full back.

Maybe I am just old fashioned.

I fully agree with you but the expectation that a keeper commands his area is something that has been there as long as I can remember.

Now though, keepers are also expected to command half of their own half, have good footwork under pressure and deliver pinpoint passes.

You see these keepers come down from an academy and they can hit the opposite box out their hands or from a dead ball yet when they play for their U21 team in the cup, they never kick it further than 5 yards. It makes me so anxious and invites unnecessary pressure.

I'm old fashioned and I like to see a team trying to play football but for me, get the ball to the halfway line and then play. I have no issue with a short goal kick but when it's the only thing the team does, it becomes dangerous. In fact, Halifax were a good example of how you do it last week as their keeper recognised when it did and didn't make sense to do it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 37
RichMariner
January 10, 2022, 10:29am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,134
Gold Stars: 209
I'm not a keeper and it was a position I refused to play in whenever I played football, either at five-a-side or lunchtime kick-abouts at school.

But they get my sympathy. People remember the horror moments — a fumble at Gateshead in the play-offs, etc. But unless they put in a performance like Coyne did at QPR, their isolated moments of genius that win us points (last-gasp save, a penalty save, grabbing the ball from a corner under immense pressure in the last minute of injury time) just aren't remembered like goals.

Each time McKeown has pulled off a great save this season, I've considered how no one will remember it. I'm just as guilty as the next person. I know he's made great saves this season, some at important times, but even I can't remember them (sometimes they're not even included in the match highlights) and I'm trying to defend the keepers' union.

Anyone who doesn't think he (or any other keeper) are good enough for Town are going to find something that fits their narrative, because a striker who misses an open goal is forgiven by the goals people remember.

A keeper makes one mistake and no one can name the other times when he's single-handedly won us points. And who will remember a Banks-style save in a game we ultimately lose 3-1?

I'm by no means claiming McKeown is perfect because he's not. He's playing second fiddle to Crocombe for a reason. Whatever will be, will be. But keepers are the one position in football, I think, that never respond well to criticism or need a rocket up their bottom to improve.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 26 - 37
chaos33
January 10, 2022, 10:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Very well put

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 37
acko338
January 10, 2022, 11:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Gold Stars: 33
Those keepers on the books are who we can afford, unless another Dean Henderson comes in on loan, and we ship 2 out.

Like outfield players, at this level, not perfect in all aspects.

The position though is that keeper errors are last line of defence, and more easily remembered.

There are still 10 players in front who have allowed the ball to get to a scoring position !

We currently need a forward who can find form and score goals, a strong midfielder, a pacey centre back and another right back. That will take up ALL of Hurst's time in January's window, and possibly February, when the EFL dust has settled.

If McAtee and Taylor can click again, it could be problem solved in the short term. McAtee also makes space for others to thrive, eg Souza and Clifton.

I can't see a new keeper coming in this season until the 4 positions above are resolved.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 37
diehardmariner
January 10, 2022, 2:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,384
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from Poojah

And it was true of Danny Coyne. At 5ft 11” he was a proper wee man for a modern ‘keeper but every other area of his game was so exceptional I think most let it go. His distribution possibly wasn’t brilliant either, actually, but under Buckley most balls were played short anyway and under Lennie Lawrence he worked with one of England rugby’s conversion coaches and it made a real difference.

Mistake-wise, I can only remember two. The one that squirmed through him against Graeme Souness’ Blackburn  on TV and a misplaced pass and tackle that saw him sent off at Pompey in a game we won 2-1 at Pompey.

On the flip-side, he gave us some absolutely breathtaking goalkeeping performances. If I ever see a better performance from a ‘keeper than Coyne at QPR in 2001 then that will really be something. Highlights don’t do it justice - you had to be there.

https://youtu.be/2wQiisu7xcA

Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, Coyne's first season he was singled out by quite a section of the crowd for his inability to collect crosses and command his area, something that teams had started to target a little.

Again, in my memory, his real change of form came under Lennie Lawrence and when he started boxing training with a local club, I'm thinking it might have been Stuart Fleet's club but could be wrong.  He got really lean and agile on the back of that and it showed with his reflexes, almost cat like.  

I think in the case of Coyne's first season, it was unfortunate that he was compared to the guy he replaced (Aidan Davison).  Whereas McKeown hasn't been compared to his predecessor, err...Kenny Arthur??, but his ability to command his area and distribute the ball is often compared to that of two loan goalkeepers we've had in Dean Henderson and Jake Eastwood.

I think at this level McKeown is what he is.  A decent stopper yet with limitations on his all round game.  You can argue that the ability to distribute and command your area are key elements of the goalkeeper function, but just like a slow centre-back or a forward who lacks a clinical touch, that's why they're at this level.

Will we get better than McKeown?  Personally I think so.  I think he's past his best and we need to look to freshen it up.  We might not get as good a shot stopper but in return we might get someone who distributes better or commands his area better.  
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How many

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.