4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
crusty ole pie
January 9, 2022, 10:33am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,326
Gold Stars: 66
We seem to be releasing a lot of players so just how many are we expecting Paul to bring in, and with him going on record to say there is going to be limited availability in this window.I suppose it may open the door for a few of the youth players to see if they can cut the muster
Logged Offline
Private Message
GollyGTFC
January 9, 2022, 1:11pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
If X is the number of players we release or send back then I expect us to sign X players give or take a 2 or 3.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 37
RonMariner
January 9, 2022, 3:43pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,658
Gold Stars: 226
My wish list is a creative midfielder and another striker, preferably one that has a good track record of scoring at a higher level.

If I am being really greedy I'd ask for an experienced goalkeeper too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 37
HertsGTFC
January 9, 2022, 4:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from RonMariner
My wish list is a creative midfielder and another striker, preferably one that has a good track record of scoring at a higher level.

If I am being really greedy I'd ask for an experienced goalkeeper too.

We've got two experienced keepers and neither of them look up to it at the moment IMHO.I agree though I'd take a decent keeper if we could.

I'd like to think that it won't be just laonees and free agents but I'm sure it will be, for now anyway.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 37
Swansea_Mariner
January 9, 2022, 4:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
No way are we signing another keeper unless we shift one on. It would make no financial sense for us to carry 4 keepers,especially with one of them likely to be one of our highest paid players, and only one making each match day squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 37
chaos33
January 9, 2022, 5:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
Quoted from HertsGTFC

We've got two experienced keepers and neither of them look up to it at the moment IMHO.I agree though I'd take a decent keeper if we could.

I'd like to think that it won't be just laonees and free agents but I'm sure it will be, for now anyway.  

Neither of them look up to it..? Really?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 37
chaos33
January 9, 2022, 5:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I’d like to see a striker to replace Bell, a right back to replace Sears, a centre back to replace Towler and another centre midfielder, so 4. I also really hope that we extend Hunt, who is a very good footballer.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 37
NorthseaMariner
January 9, 2022, 6:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,524
Gold Stars: 11
I’ve only seen Crocombe make one mistake, and then not a howler. The rest of the time he’s looked fine to me. Admittedly I don’t get to many away games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 37
chaos33
January 9, 2022, 6:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Makes me laugh when people dismiss and castigate our keepers. So unrealistic. At this level, we have two great goalies. Macca is proven, and then some. Not flawless or without some aspects of his game that are weaker than others, but he’ll win us more points than he loses us.  What is it people expect? Keepers at all levels will make an occasional mistake, Fact. All players do. Fans forget this and dismiss the context and overreact.  Often, when keepers make a mistake, it means a goal conceded. This isn’t the case with any other position.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 37
Poojah
January 9, 2022, 7:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,472
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from chaos33
Makes me laugh when people dismiss and castigate our keepers. So unrealistic. At this level, we have two great goalies. Macca is proven, and then some. Not flawless or without some aspects of his game that are weaker than others, but he’ll win us more points than he loses us.  What is it people expect? Keepers at all levels will make an occasional mistake, Fact. All players do. Fans forget this and dismiss the context and overreact.  Often, when keepers make a mistake, it means a goal conceded. This isn’t the case with any other position.

I have a lot of time for James McKeown, without attempting to do the maths he’s probably the player I’ve seen play for Town more than any other (the original Macca would be close but my first game only came in 1992), so I think you naturally build up a degree of affection for the bloke.

But goalkeeping’s a funny position, and I think he’s had a touch of the ‘Joe Hart’s’ since he first got dropped for Dean Henderson, and he’s never been able to recover his confidence or form ever since. He’s not the same player he was five or six years ago for me, and whilst goalkeepers will indeed always make mistakes, they’ve become more frequent.

I can’t help but think that it’s probably best for him and us that he leaves at the end of the season, though where he goes from here I’m not so sure. Number two at a league club wouldn’t surprise me, though I suspect he has a fairly large pay cut heading his way.

That’s not me castigating him - he’s been a marvellous and memorable servant to the club over the course of the last decade and a bit. I’m just saying it how I see it.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 37
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How many

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.