GollyGTFC
January 5, 2022, 2:39pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Kings Lynn came up automatically when Covid curtailed the 2019/20 season but that Boston team were on a roll and heading for the title. As it happened, they just didn't turn up for the play-off final against Altrincham.

Last season they retained the bulk of that squad and looked like play-off certainties until Covid ended their season. This season they have retained the core of that team but Scott Garner is off the pace, their best player Jay Rollins was injured in pre-season and hasn't returned yet (he also got a 1 month betting ban which he's served whilst injured).

Andi Thanoj is a great player for them and got hit with a 5 month football ban for betting during his time at Alfreton and Connor Dimaio who is a tidy midfielder got hit with a 6 week ban that has just ended. These are all bans for betting activity a long while ago and impacted good players. The hearings were also hanging over the players heads for months. Stockport had a couple of players banned for the same thing in 2020 but their 6 month bans covered the period when football was suspended.

Their headline defensive signing was Andy Butler who decided to tear up his contract after 1 game in the Lincs Cup to coach set pieces at Peterborough so it's fair to say Elliott has had it tough this season. Their target man Jordan Burrow has just torn his calf and is out for the season too. I suspect there will be an exodus of players when the new man comes in. Some fans want the opinionated Curtis Woodhouse but I don't think Newton is that stupid. Bastock was chatting to Hurst at their game on Monday and I suspect he will be in with Culverhouse, the ex Kings Lynn manager. The Boston GK coach has also left out of loyalty to Elliott which adds weight to Bastock coming in. I'm unsure if Macca has stayed or not.

He's lost 9 in 19, Boston are still in the play-off hunt and he's been sacked. Bold decision if you ask me and one I think they will regret. I actually rate Elliott as a manager and think he will do well at this level or the one below when he's dusted himself down.

Boston last 3 games of the curtailed 2019/20 season saw them win 0, draw 2 & lose 1. Hardly form that suggest they were on a roll and heading for the title.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 11
jamesgtfc
January 5, 2022, 3:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Boston last 3 games of the curtailed 2019/20 season saw them win 0, draw 2 & lose 1. Hardly form that suggest they were on a roll and heading for the title.

Their 3-1 win at home to York beginning of February 2020 was a tactical masterclass. A point at Curzon and Brackley is always a decent result when games are coming thick and fast and you're dealing with fixture congestion or big gaps due to postponements.

Looking at the last 3 results may help your argument but I saw a lot of their games that season through my work in sports data and they looked very good. I'm unsure if you counted their last game (a 1-0 Lincs Cup Final defeat to Cleethorpes so I've discarded it) but they had won 7, drawn 2 and lost 2 games since the start of January and if you go back further it's won 9, drawn 3 and lost 4 between the beginning of December and mid-March. Very decent form when you consider one of them draws and losses was against Rochdale in the FA Cup plus an FA Trophy loss to Atherton.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 11
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Boston United

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.