2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Fillipe Noche
January 4, 2022, 6:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Don’t know if you’ve seen that Boston United manager Craig Elliott has been sacked

Craig can consider himself very unfortunate. Two seasons in a row he’s had Boston looking good, certainly for play offs and maybe for automatic. Only to have the season outcome scuppered by Covid.

A very well thought of manager, who has been connected with several potential moves to clubs higher up. I think we’ve even had him mentioned by fans on here as possibles. He made quite a big move for him to go full time pro at Boston.

Just goes to show what the topsy turvy world football management is. Especially being the people that have to choose those managers, and hope they meet the expectations.

Feel for the guy, as I do any manager outside of the mega pay off ones.
Logged Offline
Private Message
dapperz fun pub
January 4, 2022, 6:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Who cares you silly old sod
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
jamesgtfc
January 4, 2022, 7:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,816
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
Don’t know if you’ve seen that Boston United manager Craig Elliott has been sacked

Craig can consider himself very unfortunate. Two seasons in a row he’s had Boston looking good, certainly for play offs and maybe for automatic. Only to have the season outcome scuppered by Covid.

A very well thought of manager, who has been connected with several potential moves to clubs higher up. I think we’ve even had him mentioned by fans on here as possibles. He made quite a big move for him to go full time pro at Boston.

Just goes to show what the topsy turvy world football management is. Especially being the people that have to choose those managers, and hope they meet the expectations.

Feel for the guy, as I do any manager outside of the mega pay off ones.

Kings Lynn came up automatically when Covid curtailed the 2019/20 season but that Boston team were on a roll and heading for the title. As it happened, they just didn't turn up for the play-off final against Altrincham.

Last season they retained the bulk of that squad and looked like play-off certainties until Covid ended their season. This season they have retained the core of that team but Scott Garner is off the pace, their best player Jay Rollins was injured in pre-season and hasn't returned yet (he also got a 1 month betting ban which he's served whilst injured).

Andi Thanoj is a great player for them and got hit with a 5 month football ban for betting during his time at Alfreton and Connor Dimaio who is a tidy midfielder got hit with a 6 week ban that has just ended. These are all bans for betting activity a long while ago and impacted good players. The hearings were also hanging over the players heads for months. Stockport had a couple of players banned for the same thing in 2020 but their 6 month bans covered the period when football was suspended.

Their headline defensive signing was Andy Butler who decided to tear up his contract after 1 game in the Lincs Cup to coach set pieces at Peterborough so it's fair to say Elliott has had it tough this season. Their target man Jordan Burrow has just torn his calf and is out for the season too. I suspect there will be an exodus of players when the new man comes in. Some fans want the opinionated Curtis Woodhouse but I don't think Newton is that stupid. Bastock was chatting to Hurst at their game on Monday and I suspect he will be in with Culverhouse, the ex Kings Lynn manager. The Boston GK coach has also left out of loyalty to Elliott which adds weight to Bastock coming in. I'm unsure if Macca has stayed or not.

He's lost 9 in 19, Boston are still in the play-off hunt and he's been sacked. Bold decision if you ask me and one I think they will regret. I actually rate Elliott as a manager and think he will do well at this level or the one below when he's dusted himself down.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
Fillipe Noche
January 4, 2022, 7:45pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Kings Lynn came up automatically when Covid curtailed the 2019/20 season but that Boston team were on a roll and heading for the title. As it happened, they just didn't turn up for the play-off final against Altrincham.

Last season they retained the bulk of that squad and looked like play-off certainties until Covid ended their season. This season they have retained the core of that team but Scott Garner is off the pace, their best player Jay Rollins was injured in pre-season and hasn't returned yet (he also got a 1 month betting ban which he's served whilst injured).

Andi Thanoj is a great player for them and got hit with a 5 month football ban for betting during his time at Alfreton and Connor Dimaio who is a tidy midfielder got hit with a 6 week ban that has just ended. These are all bans for betting activity a long while ago and impacted good players. The hearings were also hanging over the players heads for months. Stockport had a couple of players banned for the same thing in 2020 but their 6 month bans covered the period when football was suspended.

Their headline defensive signing was Andy Butler who decided to tear up his contract after 1 game in the Lincs Cup to coach set pieces at Peterborough so it's fair to say Elliott has had it tough this season. Their target man Jordan Burrow has just torn his calf and is out for the season too. I suspect there will be an exodus of players when the new man comes in. Some fans want the opinionated Curtis Woodhouse but I don't think Newton is that stupid. Bastock was chatting to Hurst at their game on Monday and I suspect he will be in with Culverhouse, the ex Kings Lynn manager. The Boston GK coach has also left out of loyalty to Elliott which adds weight to Bastock coming in. I'm unsure if Macca has stayed or not.

He's lost 9 in 19, Boston are still in the play-off hunt and he's been sacked. Bold decision if you ask me and one I think they will regret. I actually rate Elliott as a manager and think he will do well at this level or the one below when he's dusted himself down.

Excellent and very informative assessment.

Would be a great role for Macca, or even a decent starting point for Dizza.

I’m sure that there won’t be any shortage of applicants. From what Macca says, the facilities there are amazing now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
MuddyWaters
January 4, 2022, 7:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Macca was sat in the Main Stand yesterday (shows he’s getting old).
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
jamesgtfc
January 4, 2022, 7:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,816
Gold Stars: 187

Excellent and very informative assessment.

Would be a great role for Macca, or even a decent starting point for Dizza.

I’m sure that there won’t be any shortage of applicants. From what Macca says, the facilities there are amazing now.

Elliott was a big part of them moving their training base to the Keepmoat in Doncaster and it has enabled them to recruit from a much more talented pool of players due to the training location.

Be interesting to see if their next manager continues training in Doncaster. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jolley apply and he actually had a one game spell as Assistant Manager there under Dennis Greene in 2013: [url]https://www.bostonunited.co.uk/teams/24809/match-centre/1-518434[/url]
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
Fillipe Noche
January 4, 2022, 7:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Elliott was a big part of them moving their training base to the Keepmoat in Doncaster and it has enabled them to recruit from a much more talented pool of players due to the training location.

Be interesting to see if their next manager continues training in Doncaster. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jolley apply and he actually had a one game spell as Assistant Manager there under Dennis Greene in 2013: [url]https://www.bostonunited.co.uk/teams/24809/match-centre/1-518434[/url]

Prior to Doncaster their training was moved to Mansfield area under Adam Murray for the same reasons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
forza ivano
January 4, 2022, 10:45pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,139
Gold Stars: 265

Prior to Doncaster their training was moved to Mansfield area under Adam Murray for the same reasons.

Let's hope none of the playing staff are bullied into moving training venue under any new regime, eh Filipe?😉
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 5, 2022, 10:49am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +6,988
Gold Stars: 283
They moved their training facilities from Boston to Doncaster to make it more attractive?

Christ on a bike, living in Boston must be unbearable......

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 5, 2022, 10:57am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +6,988
Gold Stars: 283
Quoted from jamesgtfc

That's an interesting comment. I know of a manager who's record this season (in the league) is lost 7 out of 20 and still in the play off hunt but a proportion of his club's supporters think he should be sacked.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Boston United

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.