3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Poojah
January 3, 2022, 9:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,151
Gold Stars: 1,490
By my count, Max has played 125 minutes this season, less than a game and a half. And over a third of those minutes came in that collectively poor performance at Wealdstone.  

Despite that, he has a goal, two assists and an assist assist to his name. Watching this afternoon’s goal back, you cannot understate just how good that cross was - it simply dropped on Maguire-Drew’s head. Genuine, indisputable class.

It’s a massive cliche I know, but if he can keep himself fit in the second half of the season he really would be like a new signing. That’s a big ‘if’ of course, but that should be his sole focus now. His quality simply isn’t in doubt.

We may still be 10th, and may still have only won 1 in 10, but I feel much more optimistic this evening than I did just a matter of hours ago.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
HertsGTFC
January 3, 2022, 10:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,650
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from Poojah
By my count, Max has played 125 minutes this season, less than a game and a half. And over a third of those minutes came in that collectively poor performance at Wealdstone.  

Despite that, he has a goal, two assists and an assist assist to his name. Watching this afternoon’s goal back, you cannot understate just how good that cross was - it simply dropped on Maguire-Drew’s head. Genuine, indisputable class.

It’s a massive cliche I know, but if he can keep himself fit in the second half of the season he really would be like a new signing. That’s a big ‘if’ of course, but that should be his sole focus now. His quality simply isn’t in doubt.

We may still be 10th, and may still have only won 1 in 10, but I feel much more optimistic this evening than I did just a matter of hours ago.

I mentioned it on another thread/platform but at the end we had some really decent young talent on the pitch. Similar to Scannel getting Max fit and available for a dozen or more games if not longer would add real value.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
Zmariner
January 3, 2022, 10:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,067
Gold Stars: 43
I also felt that there was some optimism today. We were agressive and if we had lost would have had applause from me. I can live with losing but I expect us to have a real go in a home game and we did.
I want to see us follow up with a couple of decent performances. I want to see stability and Hurst come good and I hope that today is a catalyst for that. It felt like it could be a turning point and the players were playing for the management that was clear utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 4, 2022, 8:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,761
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from Zmariner
I also felt that there was some optimism today. We were agressive and if we had lost would have had applause from me. I can live with losing but I expect us to have a real go in a home game and we did.
I want to see us follow up with a couple of decent performances. I want to see stability and Hurst come good and I hope that today is a catalyst for that. It felt like it could be a turning point and the players were playing for the management that was clear utm

Chris hargreaves said as much pre-match that ‘as long as players make the effort and put the shift in, then we are more fore giving’ or something like that

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
dapperz fun pub
January 4, 2022, 8:21am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Max wouldn’t be with us if he could stay fit he’s far to good for this level
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
January 4, 2022, 8:53am
Guest User
Quoted from Poojah

An 'assist assist'?

Reply: 5 - 24
Poojah
January 4, 2022, 9:10am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 123614

An 'assist assist'?

Yeah, why not?

Weymouth game, first match of the season. Plays it to Lennie, who plays it to McAtee, who sticks it in the back of the net.

What’s tenuous about that?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
Southwark Mariner
January 4, 2022, 9:34am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,537
I thought an assist assist was called football
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
January 4, 2022, 10:44am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,784
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Poojah

Yeah, why not?

Weymouth game, first match of the season. Plays it to Lennie, who plays it to McAtee, who sticks it in the back of the net.

What’s tenuous about that?

I think the correct parlance is a ‘hockey assist’, where you assist the assister.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
acko338
January 4, 2022, 12:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
Save Max as an impact sub rather than hurting him as a 90 minutes player that could injure him again !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
Poojah
January 4, 2022, 12:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from acko338
Save Max as an impact sub rather than hurting him as a 90 minutes player that could injure him again !!

Whilst that probably makes sense in the short-term, at some point he’s going to have to prove himself physically capable of starting games. Clubs, not least Town, aren’t going to hand out decent contracts for the equivalent of four or five games a season, no matter how good the performances are.

It’s a big half-season for Max. I hope it comes off for the lad.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
arryarryarry
January 4, 2022, 1:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Poojah

Whilst that probably makes sense in the short-term, at some point he’s going to have to prove himself physically capable of starting games. Clubs, not least Town, aren’t going to hand out decent contracts for the equivalent of four or five games a season, no matter how good the performances are.

It’s a big half-season for Max. I hope it comes off for the lad.

Both Holloway and Hurst have been guilty of that over the past 18 months.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
Kris2
January 4, 2022, 1:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Max wouldn’t be with us if he could stay fit he’s far to good for this level

Based on what exactly? All of his standout seasons came at levels below this, he had one season in L2 where he made more than 5 appearances but so did Montel Gibson and nobody is saying he's too good for this level or the level he plays at now. He's not even proven at this level because he never actually plays except as an impact sub for the last 15 minutes.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
dapperz fun pub
January 4, 2022, 1:49pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Quoted from Kris2

Based on what exactly? All of his standout seasons came at levels below this, he had one season in L2 where he made more than 5 appearances but so did Montel Gibson and nobody is saying he's too good for this level or the level he plays at now. He's not even proven at this level because he never actually plays except as an impact sub for the last 15 minutes.

Based on what I’ve seen watching max since he was about ten , injury as clearly hampered his progression as a pro footballer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
LondonMariner43
January 4, 2022, 2:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,891
Gold Stars: 64
He's a quality player.  Sousa huffed and puffed and looked exciting but ultimately he didn't create anything.  Max put in the perfect ball and created a goal.  To accommodate McAtee and Wright, I think we'd need a different formation, with McAtee upfront alongside Taylor, Maguire Drew and Wright on the wings, and Harry and Fox in midfield (assuming Hunt goes back to Sheffield).  I'd be happy to stick with yesterday's back 4.  If that side clicked and stayed fit, we have an exciting team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
MuddyWaters
January 4, 2022, 2:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,884
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from LondonMariner43
He's a quality player.  Sousa huffed and puffed and looked exciting but ultimately he didn't create anything.  Max put in the perfect ball and created a goal.  To accommodate McAtee and Wright, I think we'd need a different formation, with McAtee upfront alongside Taylor, Maguire Drew and Wright on the wings, and Harry and Fox in midfield (assuming Hunt goes back to Sheffield).  I'd be happy to stick with yesterday's back 4.  If that side clicked and stayed fit, we have an exciting team.

Everyone knows how much we've missed McAtee but he isn't a front man, he needs to play off a front man. For that reason, Maguire Drew and Sousa probably fit Hurst's preferred system better than Max who is an out and out winger.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
LondonMariner43
January 4, 2022, 2:13pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,891
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Everyone knows how much we've missed McAtee but he isn't a front man, he needs to play off a front man. For that reason, Maguire Drew and Sousa probably fit Hurst's preferred system better than Max who is an out and out winger.

Isn't Taylor a 'front man'?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
jamesgtfc
January 4, 2022, 2:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from Kris2

I saw enough evidence during his season long loan at Boston that he was the best player by far in that division. What has happened since then really is a shame because he's so direct and plays with purpose. You only need to look at the impact he's had having played very little this season.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
MuddyWaters
January 4, 2022, 2:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,884
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from LondonMariner43

Isn't Taylor a 'front man'?

Londonmariner43 suggested he plays up front with Taylor.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
RichMariner
January 4, 2022, 2:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Max had a run of games at Scarborough and Boston where he didn't seem to be hampered too much by injury (unless I'm misremembering things).

I think we all know he's better than mid-table Conference, but then there are a lot of players playing below their level due to no fault of their own, and plenty punching above their weight due to mates in high places.

That's life, I guess. Hard to know if anyone truly belongs at the level they play. The argument against that, of course, is that everyone is exactly where they deserve to be, simply because that's where they are.

In the same way that the league table never lies.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
pen penfras
January 4, 2022, 3:24pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -139
Gold Stars: 71
He does seem to do some impressive things, but he's also gone missing in games that he has played. Seems to be a better impact player. I don't think he's as talented as some on here believe though, because I've never heard of a big club sniffing around, and they sign up pretty much anybody who looks half decent as a teenager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
acko338
January 4, 2022, 3:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
His natural speed has served him well in his few appearances from the bench, possibly with tired defenders against him.

Is he currently a luxury impact sub when fit, or holding a place from another steadier attacking player who stays fully fit more of the time?

Honest question ! Which way does the manager opt?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
coddy60
January 4, 2022, 3:42pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from pen penfras
He does seem to do some impressive things, but he's also gone missing in games that he has played. Seems to be a better impact player. I don't think he's as talented as some on here believe though, because I've never heard of a big club sniffing around, and they sign up pretty much anybody who looks half decent as a teenager.

We were told he turned down league 1 sides when he signed his last contract with us, or am I imagining that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
jamesgtfc
January 4, 2022, 4:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from coddy60

We were told he turned down league 1 sides when he signed his last contract with us, or am I imagining that?

Did he sign his last contract under Runaway or Jolley? If it was under Runaway then I don't believe a word of what charlatan said.

I think fitness is what has stopped other clubs taking a chance on him.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
TownSNAFU5
January 4, 2022, 4:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Well I like him, just the injuries. that are worrying. His run and goal against Wrexham showed exactly what he is capable of.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.