Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › New website and badge
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 13 Guests

New website and badge

This thread currently has 26,238 views. Print
27 Pages Prev ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next All Recommend Thread
Swansea_Mariner
January 8, 2022, 8:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from Plankton

It's probably not a vector graphic which can be sized to any scale desired. It works on screen, mostly as is but isn't fit for purpose if you're producing large prints/

Is the work involved in converting images into svg from say a jpeg a costly job?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 230 - 267
LH
January 8, 2022, 8:09pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,492
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

It's not really a statement is it - he's not an employee. It's basically a long and angry tweet. From someone who is really drunk off he's being pulled apart for trying to contribute. It's prickly and terse and written in anger but he's not in comms is he? He's a designer. Who despite having a successful career and working thousands of miles away tried to do something to help Grimsby Town Football Club and in return gets this excrement.

You talk about the 'most recognisable thing to outsiders' being changed. Tell me what negative impact that flag will have on anybody or convince me anyone who doesn't support Town would even spot it. As opposed to the clear positives and benefits that have been explained more than once but people repeatedly choose to ignore.

Rich Lyons might be an bottom or he might be a great bloke. I have no idea. But I hate that he's tried to do something to help and is being treated like this. And I really hate the idea that 1878, who have acknowledged they copulated this up, might think it would be easier to have left us rotting in the past with our hand drawn badge and John Fenty. If you want them to change things and make them better then you won't like everything they do and they will make mistakes. And if people want to be consulted about every single decision they make they are going to be disappointed because you can't run a business or a football club like that.

Para 1: he literally describes it as a statement. He needs to get a thicker skin in all honesty - he’s not talking to San Franciscan tech types now. A lot of football fans will tell you in no uncertain terms what they think.

Para 3: Sick of seeing this argument that we need consulting on every decision. Fair Games pillars or whatever they call it clearly states that badges are one thing that needs fan input. They’ve broken a rule they help write themselves and have royally copulated it ever since.
Private Message
Reply: 231 - 267
Plankton
January 8, 2022, 8:11pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,208
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Is the work involved in converting images into svg from say a jpeg a costly job?

It highly depends, but yes, it's very time consuming to recreate an image that scales into a format like an svg.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 232 - 267
Swansea_Mariner
January 8, 2022, 8:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Plankton

It highly depends, but yes, it's very time consuming to recreate an image that scales into a format like an svg.

So depending on the poll results if they end up having to get the old crest image converted (I have no idea of the current  format), would  you hazard a guess we could be talking hundreds or even thousands of pounds to do that?  Or is there cheaper route.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 233 - 267
Plankton
January 8, 2022, 8:24pm

Table Wine Drinker

So depending on the poll results if they end up having to get the old crest image converted (I have no idea of the current  format), would  you hazard a guess we could be talking hundreds or even thousands of pounds to do that?  Or is there cheaper route.

I could recreate it in half a day, so no it's certainly not a costly job in hours, but I am a fan and would do it for free if it's something the club needed. This is why I said a few pages back that it's baffling that it isn't already in a scableable format and if it isn't then it should've been done 15 years ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 234 - 267
Swansea_Mariner
January 8, 2022, 8:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Plankton

I could recreate it in half a day, so no it's certainly not a costly job in hours, but I am a fan and would do it for free if it's something the club needed. This is why I said a few pages back that it's baffling that it isn't already in a scableable format and if it isn't then it should've been done 15 years ago.

Fair play to you 👍 Its good to know this won't end up costing the club either way the result pans out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 235 - 267
blundellpork
January 8, 2022, 8:29pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
Got to feel sorry for the designer. A Town fan trying to contribute to the club should be welcomed. After spending so much time and effort here, I think he is right to feel aggrieved.

I lay culpability for this mess with the club. The assumption that the new badge is a fait accompli, the subsequent vote, the commitment to digitise the original if that wins has just been one miss fire after another.

The end result is likely to be a digitised version of the original, where the designer, the club and the fans all walk away from this mess frustrated and annoyed. Ultimately everyone loses.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 236 - 267
Plankton
January 8, 2022, 8:32pm

Table Wine Drinker

Fair play to you 👍 Its good to know this won't end up costing the club either way the result pans out.

If it stays with the current design then a 1:1 it is quite a simple job, you aren't creating anything new, you just have to ensure you're careful in the reproduction. You could in theory as the design is already fairly geometric, use a programme trace the lines and the designer work over the top of it. It's honestly really simple, which is why I find it very hard to believe that this isn't already the case with our badge and a part of me feels that the our normal badge assets for the team is fine, but without working with the assets I can't say for sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 237 - 267
HertsGTFC
January 8, 2022, 8:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,906
Gold Stars: 228
BTW while we’re fannying about arguing about a flag on a badge on a shirt lots of other supporters of clubs in our league and similar clubs are on the way back from or looking forward to a day out in the 3rd round of the FA Cup, arguably the biggest day for the pyramid in the domestic calendar, context is interesting if nothing else.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 238 - 267
Poojah
January 8, 2022, 9:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,459
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from blundellpork
Got to feel sorry for the designer. A Town fan trying to contribute to the club should be welcomed. After spending so much time and effort here, I think he is right to feel aggrieved.

I lay culpability for this mess with the club. The assumption that the new badge is a fait accompli, the subsequent vote, the commitment to digitise the original if that wins has just been one miss fire after another.

The end result is likely to be a digitised version of the original, where the designer, the club and the fans all walk away from this mess frustrated and annoyed. Ultimately everyone loses.

The saddest thing about all of this is that a lot of well meaning intentions, not to mention a lot of hard work, have all been undone by a series of sloppy comms which have left no party in all of this looking good.

Personally, I think that 90% of Rich Lyons’ redesigned badge is brilliant. It’s basically our old badge with all of the kinks and inconsistencies ironed out, all using modern tools and techniques. It was close to being perfect for me.

But it’s just the flag, and the space above it, doesn’t work for what seems like an overwhelming majority. That feedback seemed pretty clear from the beginning, and should have led to the club speaking to Rich about taking on board that feedback and creating an alternative ‘enhanced version’.

I don’t care what level of designer you are, your work will always be subject to stakeholder feedback. That feedback may be communicated differently when the stakeholders are the brand team of a Silicon Valley tech company rather than the fans of an unfashionable football club from a working class town on the east coast of England, but both types of feedback are equal regardless. The condescending and somewhat righteous tone of that pseudo-statement didn’t help.

We are now in a position whereby the fans are disgruntled, the board is disgruntled and a talented Town fan who committed his spare time to the cause is disgruntled. Not because his skills aren’t appreciated and his work wasn’t good, but because the comms surrounding it have been pretty appalling by all. And I think we all hoped and thought those days were behind us.

The designer’s work is now at serious risk of being consigned to the bin, or the trash can as they say in California. That shouldn’t be. It was a huge step in the right direction, with a few easily addressable misgivings.

I would implore both club and designer to get together and deliver a further revised version of the modernised badge, sans-flag, and include that as part of any final vote. I honestly think most people would get on board with that.

I wasn’t angry that the badge was changed in the first place, but I will be angry if a lot of great work unnecessarily goes to waste due to the stubbornness of the club and the man who painstakingly undertook it.

Not because the badge is important, but because the whole handling of this affair drives an early wedge between fans and board when things had been like a fúcking love-in just a few weeks ago. It sets a tone, a tone we could do well without. Particularly IF we continue to slide down the league with the continuation of a tricky run of fixtures in the weeks ahead.

Can we not just sort this out, reasonably and amicably, as business people, as board members, as Silicon Valley designers, and as bloody football fans.

This has quickly escalated into a right fúcking mess, and an entirely avoidable one at that. I remain well behind the ownership, what they are trying to do and all they stand for, but this has to go down as a “must do better”. Sort it out.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 239 - 267
27 Pages Prev ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › New website and badge

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.