Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Two years ago this evening…
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 328 Guests

Was Holloway the worst decision in GTFC history?
Yep, the very worst
No, something else
Wibble
  View Results 77 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Two years ago this evening…

This thread currently has 3,044 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Poojah
December 31, 2021, 8:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,472
Gold Stars: 1,500
Two years ago this very evening, many of us (myself included) were toasting the appointment of Ian Scott Holloway as new Grimsby Town manager as we looked forward to seeing in 2020, a year brimming with optimism and excitement. What could possibly going wrong?

Two years on, the the league we find ourselves in and of course the wider world are very different places. Though I’ll probably stop short of blaming him for the untimely deaths of millions of people around the planet, Holloway himself is largely accountable for the sorry state the club found itself in, and in many ways remains as of this moment.

Which got me thinking. Was the appointment of Ian Holloway the most singularly cataclysmic decision ever made by anyone at GTFC in its 143 year history (granted, only Swin has been around long enough to have witnessed the whole lot)? There have been other notable ones for sure; Neil Woods, bless him, probably wasn’t the right appointment at the time and of course we have the appointment of JSF himself. But while Fenty took many years to run the club into the ground, Holloway made his mark in less than 12 months. So for me, it’s the worst, pound for pound in terms of time taken and size of mess made.

But what about you?

P.S. - happy New Year Fishy friends - praying that 2022 is better than the last couple for each and every one of us…

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
promotion plaice
December 31, 2021, 9:17pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

To be fair to Fenty I thought at the time he had pulled off a real coup getting Holloway and I was over the moon with the appointment if I'm honest.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 31, 2021, 9:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,824
Gold Stars: 553
I don’t think there is one single decision.

It’s just been 20+ years of sloppy dysentery with the occasional solid stool induced erection.

Again, with the benefit of hindsight, I do wonder if more could have been done in the 90s, pre-Fenty, to modernise the club during the halcyon football boom. It’s easy for me to say that now though.

Threatened with the torture of listening to a Coldplay album, I’d have to say either not capitalising on the feel-good factor of the 15/16 season or that monstrosity of a kit in 06-07 (the Blackburn Rovers style half and half scarf banjo string twanger).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
aldi_01
December 31, 2021, 9:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I’ll stick my neck out and say I expects it to be a disaster from the start…I’ve got friends and colleagues (sadly none of them sad enough to post on here) to back me up.

Is he the worst manager ever had? Probably not, but, he was an remains a charlatan. He was a flipping snake oil salesman before he came here and we’d be no better off, covid or not…his crowning glory will be a scrappy win at scunny. That is all.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
blundellpork
December 31, 2021, 11:39pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
I was delighted with the appointment, but was convinced he wouldn’t last more than 12-18 months. A wild journey and then a parting of ways felt inevitable from the very beginning. Nobody could have foreseen covid, nor Holloway clearly losing the plot in pre season- one friendly, playing darts etc
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
Simon
December 31, 2021, 11:42pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +237
Gold Stars: 33
We wouldn't have been relegated under Holloway, might have been close but given the Jan window i'm sure he would have brought reinforcements in

I think Fenty convinced Holloway that the season would be a none starter, we then ended up playing catch up on and off the pitch

The only bit i don't get is why Holloway didn't at least have a discussion with the new owners

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
promotion plaice
December 31, 2021, 11:53pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from Simon
The only bit i don't get is why Holloway didn't at least have a discussion with the new owners

Yeah, never really understood that.

Must admit when Holloway made that speech in the Lower Trust bar I thought this is either going to go very well or it's going to be a disaster, there's not going to be any middle ground.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
quebec38
December 31, 2021, 11:54pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,575
Gold Stars: 48
Yep I don’t think anyone can blame you for your optimism at that time. It was brilliant. A premier league manager from the not too distant past rocking up at BP. Finished the season well with some good players and good football - Billy Clarke the highlight.

I think his whole deal centred around the involvement of Alex May but I won’t say any more.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
January 1, 2022, 12:04am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,824
Gold Stars: 553
Quoted from quebec38

I think his whole deal centred around the involvement of Alex May but I won’t say any more.

Exactly. Holloway was here to trouser it in (multi-pocketed combat slacks with reinforced gusset and button fly). The fact that Holloway was a director and shareholder suggests he wasn’t in it for the salary.

…and he certainly wasn’t in it for the ‘project’, free donkey rides and bracing sea air.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taJ4MFCxiuo[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
jamesgtfc
January 1, 2022, 12:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
If the season hadn't ended due to Covid I still think we would have been ill prepared for last season but we might have kept hold of players such as Vernam and Clarke.

There is a huge difference between a manager/director sitting on his backside at home and allegedly not speaking to any of his staff/players for 6 months than doing the same for 6 weeks.

We will never know how much Covid impacted his reign or just how much he knew about Alex May but I think we all knew it was never going to be average with him at the helm.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
lee65
January 1, 2022, 1:31am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,483
Gold Stars: 10
Holloway in 19-20 did well, brought in some decent loans, and we looked like we were moving forward with something to build on.
It all fell apart when we assumed the league would shut down 20-21 season so we’d look clever by spending **ck all on decent additions.  Holloway (who was a big part of that decision in my opinion) then found the perfect escape route by claiming he wasn’t happy with the take over
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
January 1, 2022, 2:27am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +840
Gold Stars: 117
Makes you wonder about the big IF!

Had the new owners kept him on as Manager, and with a budget way above the one offered by the previous encumbant, with all his contacts in the game, where could we have been. He attracted some decent loans, can't deny that. Just a pity we can't say the same about his permanent signings. But had he been given a decent budget, who knows.

Que sera, sera!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
ex-merseymariner
January 1, 2022, 5:32am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Makes you wonder about the big IF!

Had the new owners kept him on as Manager, and with a budget way above the one offered by the previous encumbant, with all his contacts in the game, where could we have been. He attracted some decent loans, can't deny that. Just a pity we can't say the same about his permanent signings. But had he been given a decent budget, who knows.

Que sera, sera!

Are you seriously saying that Hollow-words would have brought in players better than Menayese Coke and Matete to keep us up?

His last 6 months were a total transfer disaster, loans and permanent deals.   Mohsini, Gomis, Sisay, Gibson, Jackson, Taylor, Morton, Rose, Morais, and many  more.....

Where could we have been? Relegated sooner surely! He was in the process of getting rid of Mckeown, and pinning our hopes on players who have since pretty much vanished without trace.  

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
DB
January 1, 2022, 5:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,998
Gold Stars: 386
Hindsight is brilliant, works every time.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
aldi_01
January 1, 2022, 8:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Simon
We wouldn't have been relegated under Holloway, might have been close but given the Jan window i'm sure he would have brought reinforcements in

I think Fenty convinced Holloway that the season would be a none starter, we then ended up playing catch up on and off the pitch

Becauee it’s clear he wasn’t here for actual footballing reasons, remember the £100k (£500) that he allegedly pumped in to the club…he lotwrelly gave up once th May thing broke….that tells you all you need to know. flipping charlatan…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
Hagrid
January 1, 2022, 8:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,387
Gold Stars: 532
We wouldnt have been relegated under him😂😂😂😂

Lying conniving conman. Despise him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 29
Vance Warner
January 1, 2022, 8:29am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,786
Gold Stars: 102
If not the worst decision then certainly up there. Funnily enough the only two managerial appointments I can remember that pleased the vast majority of the fan base were Holloway and Newell. Proper due diligence on both would have saved us a lot of pain.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 1, 2022, 8:44am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
There was this massive expectation and furore that came along with him. I think 99% were shocked at the appointment and thought it was going to be a new (good) chapter in our history. There was rumours of the likes of Charlie Adam and other ‘name’ players signing for us, but, the reasons we got relegated we’re due to being under prepared for the season, covid clauses in contracts and convicted fraudsters.

It sent the feel good factor about the club through the roof and I remember talking to customers all over the country about it, it’s like we’d finally been put back on the map. Sky, bbc and itv were actually sending reporters to the ground and we were getting more than ‘snippets’ of news.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
Mallyner
January 1, 2022, 8:44am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

His last 6 months were a total transfer disaster, loans and permanent deals.   Mohsini, Gomis, Sisay, Gibson, Jackson, Taylor, Morton, Rose, Morais, and many  more.....

Should auld acquaintance be forgot and never brought to mind?  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 29
ska face
January 1, 2022, 9:29am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,643
Gold Stars: 840
I was happy at the time, mainly because I’d taken the best part of £350 off the bookies as a result, but also thought he’d bring us on in a footballing sense.

By the end he was an absolute lunatic, ranting & raving, completely detached from reality and should’ve probably been sectioned.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
aldi_01
January 1, 2022, 9:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
After we played Orient away and the furore was still fresh I was travelling to a friends house the other side of London and met some Millwall lads on the train…they were pissing themselves at town fans…there words were ‘snake oil salesman’ and ‘have a Google on message boards of the clubs he’s ‘managed’’…

I wasn’t a fan when we got him but I did what they said and it just reinforced what I thought. flipping charlatan…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 1, 2022, 10:15am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,268
Gold Stars: 295
Worst decision ever? Not even the worst management appointment - Newell, Lyons, Roberts, Laws and Law all make Holloway's appointment look acceptable.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
psgmariner
January 1, 2022, 10:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Worst decision ever? Not even the worst management appointment - Newell, Lyons, Roberts, Laws and Law all make Holloway's appointment look acceptable.

Neil Woods getting the job after his caretaker spell for me. Christ there’s been loads….

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
HertsGTFC
January 1, 2022, 10:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
The day he arrived I was quite excited by the prospect of someone who was clearly a bit of a narcissist but quite high profile and had been around a bit, my assumption was that he’d bring in a few half decent players that he’d worked with before and maybe another coach to work with Limerick and Ben Davis and be his successor if he moved upstairs..

I was quite suspicious though of him saying he was buying shares in a club (business) that the major shareholder had been openly trying to off load. Why would you do that unless you saw a big payday on the horizon? Maybe Fenty sold IH some snake oil here?

The other reservation that I chose to ignore was…. why had he been out of the game as a manager for so long? This I believe was the main factor in things going badly wrong on the pitch as though Clarke was a really good addition and he got a tune out of Chas I think IH was quite out of touch, had fewer playing contacts that he told everyone he had and didn’t really understand the game at this level.

I believe the period he had out of the game was the factor that sent us down more than anything as his recruitment and scouting network/process completely failed us alongside the inadequate preparation and it has to be said a COVID wage policy that didn’t support attracting decent talent.

Would we have gone down if he’d stayed? Yeah I think we would have done as the squad though large just wasn’t good enough.

Worst decision in the history of the club? Not sure as it sits as one of many on and off the pitch in the last 2 decades I’m afraid.

The main thing that does not sit well with me is his departure and his lack of honesty when he made out in the local and national media that he was the victim in the whole scenario, to a degree I can live with him being a bad manager as it happens and he was appointed by Fenty who got more wrong than right but the lies and lack of honesty and integrity is unforgivable in my view.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 1, 2022, 10:29am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,268
Gold Stars: 295
Quoted from psgmariner

Neil Woods getting the job after his caretaker spell for me. Christ there’s been loads….

I forgot to mention Bignot.......

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
Abdul19
January 1, 2022, 10:42am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,554
Gold Stars: 215
His recruitment was decent at first though, Clarke as mentioned but also the 2 lads from Burnley. Possibly luck given the dross that came in in the summer!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
Humbercod
January 1, 2022, 10:51am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,494
Gold Stars: 82

If one of those names is Brian Laws than I completely disagree.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
jamesgtfc
January 1, 2022, 11:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Abdul19
His recruitment was decent at first though, Clarke as mentioned but also the 2 lads from Burnley. Possibly luck given the dross that came in in the summer!

Benson only got a chance because Simeon Jackson floored Hessenthaler at the kick off. I got told that Holloway almost sent Benson back the week before!

Benson and Glennon set the standard of loans Holloway could attract and he followed it up with Gomis, Morton, Preston, Bennett, Edwards and two others.

Edwards was alright but the others were forgettable; especially the two that I've forgotten.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
Abdul19
January 1, 2022, 12:09pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,554
Gold Stars: 215
Windsor and someone else

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
MuddyWaters
January 1, 2022, 2:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
The most catechismic decision?

Probably when Fenty decided not to put the club into administration while the penalties for doing so were less penal.

Life’s full of ‘what ifs’ though. And what happened in the past is history.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Two years ago this evening…

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.