Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Two years ago this evening…
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 294 Guests

Was Holloway the worst decision in GTFC history?
Yep, the very worst
No, something else
Wibble
  View Results 77 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Two years ago this evening…

This thread currently has 2,989 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
January 1, 2022, 9:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
After we played Orient away and the furore was still fresh I was travelling to a friends house the other side of London and met some Millwall lads on the train…they were pissing themselves at town fans…there words were ‘snake oil salesman’ and ‘have a Google on message boards of the clubs he’s ‘managed’’…

I wasn’t a fan when we got him but I did what they said and it just reinforced what I thought. flipping charlatan…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 1, 2022, 10:15am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +6,985
Gold Stars: 283
Worst decision ever? Not even the worst management appointment - Newell, Lyons, Roberts, Laws and Law all make Holloway's appointment look acceptable.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
psgmariner
January 1, 2022, 10:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
Worst decision ever? Not even the worst management appointment - Newell, Lyons, Roberts, Laws and Law all make Holloway's appointment look acceptable.

Neil Woods getting the job after his caretaker spell for me. Christ there’s been loads….

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
HertsGTFC
January 1, 2022, 10:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
The day he arrived I was quite excited by the prospect of someone who was clearly a bit of a narcissist but quite high profile and had been around a bit, my assumption was that he’d bring in a few half decent players that he’d worked with before and maybe another coach to work with Limerick and Ben Davis and be his successor if he moved upstairs..

I was quite suspicious though of him saying he was buying shares in a club (business) that the major shareholder had been openly trying to off load. Why would you do that unless you saw a big payday on the horizon? Maybe Fenty sold IH some snake oil here?

The other reservation that I chose to ignore was…. why had he been out of the game as a manager for so long? This I believe was the main factor in things going badly wrong on the pitch as though Clarke was a really good addition and he got a tune out of Chas I think IH was quite out of touch, had fewer playing contacts that he told everyone he had and didn’t really understand the game at this level.

I believe the period he had out of the game was the factor that sent us down more than anything as his recruitment and scouting network/process completely failed us alongside the inadequate preparation and it has to be said a COVID wage policy that didn’t support attracting decent talent.

Would we have gone down if he’d stayed? Yeah I think we would have done as the squad though large just wasn’t good enough.

Worst decision in the history of the club? Not sure as it sits as one of many on and off the pitch in the last 2 decades I’m afraid.

The main thing that does not sit well with me is his departure and his lack of honesty when he made out in the local and national media that he was the victim in the whole scenario, to a degree I can live with him being a bad manager as it happens and he was appointed by Fenty who got more wrong than right but the lies and lack of honesty and integrity is unforgivable in my view.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 1, 2022, 10:29am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +6,985
Gold Stars: 283
Quoted from psgmariner

Neil Woods getting the job after his caretaker spell for me. Christ there’s been loads….

I forgot to mention Bignot.......

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
Abdul19
January 1, 2022, 10:42am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
His recruitment was decent at first though, Clarke as mentioned but also the 2 lads from Burnley. Possibly luck given the dross that came in in the summer!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
Humbercod
January 1, 2022, 10:51am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,492
Gold Stars: 82

If one of those names is Brian Laws than I completely disagree.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
jamesgtfc
January 1, 2022, 11:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from Abdul19
His recruitment was decent at first though, Clarke as mentioned but also the 2 lads from Burnley. Possibly luck given the dross that came in in the summer!

Benson only got a chance because Simeon Jackson floored Hessenthaler at the kick off. I got told that Holloway almost sent Benson back the week before!

Benson and Glennon set the standard of loans Holloway could attract and he followed it up with Gomis, Morton, Preston, Bennett, Edwards and two others.

Edwards was alright but the others were forgettable; especially the two that I've forgotten.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
Abdul19
January 1, 2022, 12:09pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Windsor and someone else

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
MuddyWaters
January 1, 2022, 2:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,880
Gold Stars: 230
The most catechismic decision?

Probably when Fenty decided not to put the club into administration while the penalties for doing so were less penal.

Life’s full of ‘what ifs’ though. And what happened in the past is history.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Two years ago this evening…

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.