GollyGTFC
January 3, 2022, 9:18am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from ginnywings

Someone on another thread said he was subbed off injured after 34 mins?

D’oh!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 80 - 87
ginnywings
January 3, 2022, 12:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from pen penfras

But you said crowd size means feck all. It clearly doesn't and over a long period clubs roughly appear in the pyramid in order of attendance. Whether that is deemed as success or not is one thing, but the fans that think we should be a top L1 side with occasional visits to the Championship are deluded. Even when we were there we were punching above our weight, but lots of places have embraced football in the last 25 years that have much more potential than a small, poor fishing town in an isolated area.

It was exactly this kind of thinking that kept us down in the lower reaches. No point trying because it can't be done seems to be what you are saying.

Should we ask the 3000 Burton Albion fans or the 5000 Shrewsbury fans ( I could name others) what they think about your assertion.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 87
TownSNAFU5
January 3, 2022, 12:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Not to mention Accrington.   Stanley.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 87
pen penfras
January 3, 2022, 2:14pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -140
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from ginnywings

It was exactly this kind of thinking that kept us down in the lower reaches. No point trying because it can't be done seems to be what you are saying.

Should we ask the 3000 Burton Albion fans or the 5000 Shrewsbury fans ( I could name others) what they think about your assertion.

Ask them what you want, and expect whatever you want, but the statistics don't back up that we should be anywhere near a top L1 side with the occasional visit to the Championship. Nobody that says those things has a single justifiable reason for why they think that, just that 'we can'.

Virtually every football club's supporters have unrealistic expectations of where they should be and they all expect improvement season on season. I'll take a realistic view that if we can get at the top end of L2 and winning more games than we're losing that I won't be unhappy. If we make it to L1 then I'll be delighted but not expect to be competing with the fallen giants that are occasionally in there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 87
ginnywings
January 3, 2022, 7:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from pen penfras

Ask them what you want, and expect whatever you want, but the statistics don't back up that we should be anywhere near a top L1 side with the occasional visit to the Championship. Nobody that says those things has a single justifiable reason for why they think that, just that 'we can'.

Virtually every football club's supporters have unrealistic expectations of where they should be and they all expect improvement season on season. I'll take a realistic view that if we can get at the top end of L2 and winning more games than we're losing that I won't be unhappy. If we make it to L1 then I'll be delighted but not expect to be competing with the fallen giants that are occasionally in there.

Yeah, you're dead right. Let's just be happy with holding our own in League 2.

You are definitely part of the old regime aren't you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 87
White_shorts
March 11, 2022, 4:23pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -599
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Poojah

The thing that’s often overlooked is that we are almost uniquely distanced from other top clubs. Putting Hull to one side, who’ve had their success but aren’t historically fashionable enough to draw support from distance, our nearest ‘big’ club is Leeds, the best part of an hour and a half away.

I can only think of Plymouth and Torquay who have more favourable situations in that sense. Yes, there are disadvantages to not being close to a major city but, equally, how difficult must it be for the likes of Oldham, Stockport and ffs Boreham Wood to attract fans given the stature of clubs on their doorstep. Eastleigh is not much smaller than NE Lincs, but they are merely Southampton’s Grimsby Borough.

We are playing in a league of suburbs and broken clubs, of which we are sadly one. Let’s not kid ourselves into a narrative that this is okay or that we’ve found our level. That is simply not true. Yes, times change, but the fact that our average league finish over almost 150 years of football (even accounting for the shambolic last 20) is in the top 45 of the league system, is because that’s what this town is capable of.

We must not let two decades of appalling club management to cloud our collective perception of what this club is about and what it can be. We are better than this. Much, much better.

There are 20 teams in the Premier League and 24 in the Championship, so what you are saying in other words is that our natural position is top of League One. That's probably about right, although the longer we spend below that level, the further we will slip down the all-time table.

I don't know where Poojah got his information, but I found this website: https://sean.mcgivern.me.uk/historical-league-positions/

We are still above Swansea (47.1), Brighton (47.3), Reading (48.1), Brentford (51.5), Bournemouth (54.6) and Lincoln (57.7).

Scunthorpe United are 66.5.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 87
IlkleyMariner
March 11, 2022, 7:22pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,872
Gold Stars: 66
Don’t think we should expect to be top of league 1, but we should target being a side challenging in league 1 with the odd skirmish in championship.
Bit like Rotherham
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 87
mimma
March 12, 2022, 12:08am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,545
Gold Stars: 78
Teams mentioned on here that have progressed have done so with the help and support of their local councils. That would never happen here in N. E. Lincs!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.