aldi_01
December 31, 2021, 8:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from DB

I agree with this and would add that what we are is a sleeping giant waiting to be woken up. We were a good championship side attracting good gates and paying decent wages to top players, beit some may have been passed their prime but could still play football. We can be there again.

What has happened is for 17 years of club mismanagement, that some fans is all they know about, that has become a norm. We use to attract bus loads of fans from the Scunny, Lincoln and Skeggy areas but all this has gone into oblivion. The fan base is still there but needs waking up again.

Results on the pitch are one thing but we need more, a new club structure which 1878 seem to be trying to do and an improved/new stadium fit for the 21st century.

I take your point about being completely mismanaged and lacking ambition for nigh on 17 years but I’d argue that we’re not a sleeping giant and talk of such puts you in the same category as Wednesday, Newcastle and Sunderland.

When we were in the championship we did alright, never really competed but held our own but our gates weren’t good, not really. We didn’t take the masses away like people seem to think and only on big occasions did we arrive in numbers. However, we have had relatively consistent attendances meetings have shown we can pull others in, be it for occasion type games so should the club stabilise and push for promotion/s, show some ambition and position itself as a well run club that is positioned in the community providing much more than just a football match every week then I think we could be a decent sized club like Lincoln, Wycombe, donny etc…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 87
Swansea_Mariner
December 31, 2021, 9:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
We're not a sleeping giant or a small club, as others have said there's absolutely no reason we shouldn't be a sustainable league 1 club.

We have woefully underperformed for neigh on 20 years ago, hopefully the new lot can finally sort this out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 87
jamesgtfc
December 31, 2021, 9:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,816
Gold Stars: 187
I said it in another post but I want the club back in League One and ocassionally having spells in The Championship.

In terms of getting to League One, I think the toughest part is getting out of this division but I think we need to be striving to get there.

Burton, Wycombe, Donny have had recent spells in The Championship. The case of Wycombe especially is one of considerable over achievement but our long-term aim should be to do similar in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 87
GollyGTFC
December 31, 2021, 11:20am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I said it in another post but I want the club back in League One and ocassionally having spells in The Championship.

In terms of getting to League One, I think the toughest part is getting out of this division but I think we need to be striving to get there.

Burton, Wycombe, Donny have had recent spells in The Championship. The case of Wycombe especially is one of considerable over achievement but our long-term aim should be to do similar in my opinion.

This, We should be a solid League 1 club who has the odd spell in the Championship and League 2.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 43 - 87
RonMariner
December 31, 2021, 11:49am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,005
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from GollyGTFC

This, We should be a solid League 1 club who has the odd spell in the Championship and League 2.

I agree with you.

Strangely, from 1979 to the current season we have visited L1 quite a few times, but only for one season at a time. We were either promoted or relegated on each visit. Bizarre.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 87
jamesgtfc
December 31, 2021, 11:51am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

I agree with you.

Strangely, from 1979 to the current season we have visited L1 quite a few times, but only for one season at a time. We were either promoted or relegated on each visit. Bizarre.

Between 2004 and at least 2023 we've failed to visit that level once.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 87
RonMariner
December 31, 2021, 11:52am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

we do need to get into a position where we can pay a couple of decent fees for some standout players. Ideally ones that we can sell on for profit and reinvest.

Exactly.  I think two such players, one in midfeild and one up front would transform our current prospects.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 87
RonMariner
December 31, 2021, 11:54am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Between 2004 and at least 2023 we've failed to visit that level once.

Indeed. A sure indication of how badly we have been under performing for so long..
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 87
jamesgtfc
December 31, 2021, 12:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

Indeed. A sure indication of how badly we have been under performing for so long..

I do think that the League One we left in 2004 is a completely different league now though so I do think our next visit will be a longer one. A short one with us departing from the top end would be great but I can't see it happening.

In many ways League One is like our division. A few basket case clubs (Bolton, Chesterfield and Southend in recent years have been relegated from it) with some big, historic teams such as Ipswich and Sunderland that expect promotion. A few teams throw money around such as Peterborough but a couple of current Premier League teams have found themselves there in recent years: Norwich, Southampton, Leeds. Chris Wilder took Sheffield United back to the Premier League from League One and Sheffield Wednesday are back in League One currently.

On top of that a few of the teams that had money in our last non-league spell seem to run out of steam when they get there such as Crawley and Fleetwood.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 87
DaleH
December 31, 2021, 12:32pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +785
Gold Stars: 166
Lets not get ahead of ourselves shall we. Personally and in my opinion, we have to accept the level we are at and accept that is the club we are. I am sure many of us have. It's when we get above of ourselves in our views that the road to recovery becomes more painful.

The fanbase is awesome at Town, and way ahead of many in that regard. And that goes a long way towards the future prosperity and well-being of the club. But if we all stay grounded, accept where we are for now, and remain positive and steadfast in our support, then I am confident that it will be for the best.

I suppose its about learning to enjoy the journey, with all the twists and turns, and the set-backs. Enjoying it for what it is, football.

Here's to a very happy new year and good health and prosperity.

#UTM

Time to resurrect my Fishy signature again. So here goes.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Donny

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.