WayneBurnettsJockstrap
December 26, 2021, 5:49pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +828
Gold Stars: 115
Scunny out of relegation places

Yeh but come on, they were playing Oldham!!!!!!!!!!! I think WE could beat Oldham at the minute! Dover could probably beat Oldham at the minute too!!!!!

Dont get too upset about it, they will resume their rightful position soon enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 58
jamesgtfc
December 26, 2021, 6:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,938
Gold Stars: 190

Yeh but come on, they were playing Oldham!!!!!!!!!!! I think WE could beat Oldham at the minute! Dover could probably beat Oldham at the minute too!!!!!

Dont get too upset about it, they will resume their rightful position soon enough.

Not saying this is an odd result because Oldham are a basket case club too but I think there will be some odd results thrown up over the next few weeks.

Apparently the EFL were going to make Hull field their youth players today until they started testing positive too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 58
HertsGTFC
December 26, 2021, 6:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,889
Gold Stars: 225
It did we’re now 10th after wins for Stockport & Dagenham

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 58
ex-merseymariner
December 26, 2021, 7:02pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from HertsGTFC
It did we’re now 10th after wins for Stockport & Dagenham

Stockport battered alty which moves us closer to a split between top half including us, and bottom half. Alty have gone from contenders to a distance away...

Daggers beat dover, a very predictable result.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 58
IlkleyMariner
December 26, 2021, 7:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,977
Gold Stars: 68
Forget this season
Too much new money chasing too few promotions
Plan for season 2022/23 and move on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 58
fishboyUTM
December 26, 2021, 8:16pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,067
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Forget this season

Never. That top spot has gone now after our dreadful run, but there is no reason we can't make the play offs.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 58
Zmariner
December 26, 2021, 10:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,116
Gold Stars: 44
Forget this season

Nice concept for the patient. If we do not finish in the playoff spots I will not buy another season ticket.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 58
aldi_01
December 27, 2021, 7:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Zmariner

Nice concept for the patient. If we do not finish in the playoff spots I will not buy another season ticket.

Essentially a glory supporter then…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 58
cmackenzie4
December 27, 2021, 10:20am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
Forget this season

But that will be the same next season and the seasons after that surely?  Do we just keep writing seasons off when we have a poor run ? We need to be chasing for a playoff spot at the minimum.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 58
IlkleyMariner
December 27, 2021, 11:16am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from cmackenzie4

But that will be the same next season and the seasons after that surely?  Do we just keep writing seasons off when we have a poor run ? We need to be chasing for a playoff spot at the minimum.

Didn’t mean we can’t make playoffs this year, but the three or four big money clubs will be those realisticly those going up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 58
Abdul19
December 27, 2021, 11:31am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,502
Gold Stars: 215
Not sure how they'll manage that with 2 promotion spots.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 58
DB
December 27, 2021, 2:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,950
Gold Stars: 386

Didn’t mean we can’t make playoffs this year, but the three or four big money clubs will be those realisticly those going up.

And 3/4 big money clubs will be carrying a lot of debt into the next season.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 58
Zmariner
December 27, 2021, 3:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

Essentially a glory supporter then…

Nobody who has supported Grimsby for 40 years is a glory supporter. I am bored of level 5 and consistently losing to teams with much less resources is not acceptable to me. We all have different standards /views this is just life. No need to get yourself excited about it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 58
HertsGTFC
December 27, 2021, 3:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Zmariner

Nobody who has supported Grimsby for 40 years is a glory supporter. I am bored of level 5 and consistently losing to teams with much less resources is not acceptable to me. We all have different standards /views this is just life. No need to get yourself excited about it.

When you say “resources” do you mean footballing of financial?

Looking at who we’ve lost to Whealdstone & Aldershot we should be expected to beat but Notts, Chesterfield, Daggers, Solihull and Bromley would all expect to give us a game and take some points if not all.

In terms of resources others may not have great facilities to host supporters but they do appear to have enough to put out competitive sides.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 58
arryarryarry
December 27, 2021, 3:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,063
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Looking at who we’ve lost to Whealdstone & Aldershot we should be expected to beat but Notts, Chesterfield, Daggers, Solihull and Bromley would all expect to give us a game and take some points if not all.

In terms of resources others may not have great facilities to host supporters but they do appear to have enough to put out competitive sides.

It's a sad day in the history of Grimsby Town Football Club if we are looking at the likes of Dagenham, Solihull and flipping Bromley as our equals or betters.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 58
HertsGTFC
December 27, 2021, 3:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

It's a sad day in the history of Grimsby Town Football Club if we are looking at the likes of Dagenham, Solihull and flipping Bromley as our equals or betters.

Agree, but when did history get you 3 points on a Saturday?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 58
jamesgtfc
December 27, 2021, 4:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Agree completely. There will always be teams throwing money at it. For a start, at least one of Wrexham, Stockport and Chesterfield will still be in this league next season.

In the league below Spennymoor (whilst part-time) and Fylde in particular are throwing money at it. Then you've got South Shields in the Northern Premier who are full-time.

Boreham Wood are in the FA Cup Third Round and if they beat AFC Wimbledon their coffers could be well inflated for next season. Not forgetting the fee they received for Tshimanga plus the sell-on they probably have too.

Fact is there will always be a good few teams throwing money around in the hope of promotion to the promised land.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 58
DB
December 27, 2021, 4:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,950
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from arryarryarry

We should not forget that we needed a team prior to preseason, which was put together to hopefully challenge for a playoff spot. We were spoilt by the start and now need to get some balance and structure in the side.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 58
Zmariner
December 27, 2021, 4:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

The two are completely connected and I would be surprised if our playing and related staff budget is not significantly higher than Solihull, Bromley, Dagenham and Kidderminster. We are underachieving.
If we have a top 7 budget and I would gamble we do , not finishing in the playoffs is failure. I would certainly stick with Hurst for now but no playoffs and his race is run.I have been a Hurst fan but he has has had a very poor year since he took over. We can moan about the area but we should have enough to get into the top 7.  I hope we sign some players in Jan and Hurst will have to find a way , the new owners have been good. It is the football management side that puts out a team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 58
HertsGTFC
December 27, 2021, 4:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Zmariner

The two are completely connected and I would be surprised if our playing and related staff budget is not significantly higher than Solihull, Bromley, Dagenham and Kidderminster. We are underachieving.
If we have a top 7 budget and I would gamble we do , not finishing in the playoffs is failure. I would certainly stick with Hurst for now but no playoffs and his race is run.I have been a Hurst fan but he has has had a very poor year since he took over. We can moan about the area but we should have enough to get into the top 7.  I hope we sign some players in Jan and Hurst will have to find a way , the new owners have been good. It is the football management side that puts out a team.

I’d pretty much agree especially the bit about January signings I reckon we probably need to add 3/4 faces in this window as the squad has been proved to be too thin in recent weeks.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 58
IlkleyMariner
December 27, 2021, 4:57pm
Champagne Drinker
See Omar Bogle was unused sub today"……….
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 58
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 27, 2021, 6:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,599
Gold Stars: 64

According to the BBC he played second half!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 58
dapperz fun pub
December 27, 2021, 6:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,865
Gold Stars: 82

Briefly watched it late on in the game he was defo on the pitch then
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 58
lee65
December 27, 2021, 8:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,479
Gold Stars: 10
We should have a fighting chance of a playoff place, and then it’s a lottery, we can beat anyone on our day, even if we haven’t had many of those “days” lately, so not throwing the towel in yet  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 58
Mendonca1995
December 27, 2021, 10:41pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Zmariner

Fully agree with this I’ve supported town 31 year my grandad since 1953 (too long to work out !!!) We’re both fed up him more than me as are many other supporters we’ve known for years, in my time there just seems to have been no ambition from the club at all to strive for better, with the new owners coming in I’m hoping this will change but it goes back to playing budgets all the time it gets mentioned every season, we are a relatively safe club when it comes to finances but I do feel we should start throwing a bit more money at players and go for it for a change, it just seems the same old same old every season when was the last time we actually bought a striker bogle was it Who the fans paid for with operation promotion, that proved it can work and chesterfield Wrexham Stockport all doing well and up there I maybe wrong but I can see why a lot of fans are losing interest again, and yes I will still be there home and away no matter what but if not this season it needs something different next in terms of bigger better playing budgets next season, should we go all out for it like others have I believe so UTM ATAW

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 58
ska face
December 27, 2021, 11:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,514
Gold Stars: 831
Not the first time we’ve heard this from ZMariner and probably won’t be the last. Just crack on, stop announcing it on here looking for attention and trying to get people begging you to stay.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 58
mimma
December 28, 2021, 1:03am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,569
Gold Stars: 78
It can't get any worse....

Have you seen the cricket score from Australia?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 58
realist
December 28, 2021, 9:19am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,689
Gold Stars: 41
This is the curse of this club. Not Fenty, but the happy clappers that continually support at best mediocrity or usually the shite often served up on the pitch. We need to be ruthless, sack under performing managers quickly and stop looking back all the time. All the returnees to the club have performed badly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 58
aldi_01
December 28, 2021, 9:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Supporting town of 40 years now seems to make peoples bigger fan or for some, seems to give them a platform to put down those that see a more realistic view of the club…

Just pointing out that in 40 years we’ve spent less than 10 years at level five…

Worth noting that perhaps it’s not the happy clappers people should moan about but the fans who, for the best part of 20 years, allowed a moron to take the club twice, yes, twice to the level you all claim to hate…perhaps if more than a few hundred had been vocal and stood in the car park at BP perhaps we’d have forced changes years ago…so perhaps it’s not happy clappers but the passive ‘it could be worse, we could’ve been bury’ types…the evidence was all there, folk just chose to ignore it, instead berating players and managers, mangers hamstrung by an owner with zero ambition…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 58
HoratiusEberlin
December 28, 2021, 10:00am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +216
Gold Stars: 10
It’s never the fault of the quick-to-turn fans who undermine player confidence and amplify negativity. Indeed, this is the fuel of champions.
Realist, How ruthless is best? 1 defeat = 1 job? Or do we give new managers a month to turn a club around? Do we offer managers only short term contracts? What pool of potential managers would that leave us to choose from?
Bloody happy clappers, with their attempts to understand a long-term plan. They should instead be aiming for a staff that are terrified to make mistakes from the day they walk in the door.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 58
supertown
December 28, 2021, 10:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,440
Gold Stars: 53
I’m still clinging to those early season performances. If we can just find that level again , it’s essentially the same players .  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 58
jamesgtfc
December 28, 2021, 10:57am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
Supporting town of 40 years now seems to make peoples bigger fan or for some, seems to give them a platform to put down those that see a more realistic view of the club…

Just pointing out that in 40 years we’ve spent less than 10 years at level five…

Worth noting that perhaps it’s not the happy clappers people should moan about but the fans who, for the best part of 20 years, allowed a moron to take the club twice, yes, twice to the level you all claim to hate…perhaps if more than a few hundred had been vocal and stood in the car park at BP perhaps we’d have forced changes years ago…so perhaps it’s not happy clappers but the passive ‘it could be worse, we could’ve been bury’ types…the evidence was all there, folk just chose to ignore it, instead berating players and managers, mangers hamstrung by an owner with zero ambition…

I was one of those people you talk about. Alex May tipped me over the edge but it was frightening when I then started to think about everything else that had gone on over the years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 58
Zmariner
December 28, 2021, 10:57am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face
Not the first time we’ve heard this from ZMariner and probably won’t be the last. Just crack on, stop announcing it on here looking for attention and trying to get people begging you to stay.

Calm yourself down SkaFace and have a mince pie if you need to look for affirmation on the message board of a 5th tier football club that is OK by me.
Personally I'm, a little busy for that and way too hard headed to care what people think.
This is just a hobby but unlike a lot of hobbies one that you have no control over. Given you cannot control it,do not get yourself too wound up about it. We all have opinions and the lads that I go are completely indifferent now after years of support. I feel for the new owners as they have been excellent so far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 58
oochiad
December 28, 2021, 11:19am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,675
Gold Stars: 27
You’re not a real fan if you’re talking about bailing Zmariner. Ta ta, we probably will be 5th tier for a while but how on earth can you stop supporting out club ffs, is in our blood! UTM!! Personally I’m a little busy!!! Hilarious 😂😂😂😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 58
Zmariner
December 28, 2021, 11:32am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from oochiad
You’re not a real fan if you’re talking about bailing Zmariner. Ta ta, we probably will be 5th tier for a while but how on earth can you stop supporting out club ffs, is in our blood! UTM!! Personally I’m a little busy!!! Hilarious 😂😂😂😂

Reread the message not too busy to stop supporting , too busy to care what people think about my views.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 58
RonMariner
December 28, 2021, 11:33am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,532
Gold Stars: 224
Actually it can get far worse. Ask any Darlington, or Hereford fan.

We are three points outside the playoff places. All is not not lost.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 58
HertsGTFC
December 28, 2021, 12:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mendonca1995

Fully agree with this I’ve supported town 31 year my grandad since 1953 (too long to work out !!!) We’re both fed up him more than me as are many other supporters we’ve known for years, in my time there just seems to have been no ambition from the club at all to strive for better, with the new owners coming in I’m hoping this will change but it goes back to playing budgets all the time it gets mentioned every season, we are a relatively safe club when it comes to finances but I do feel we should start throwing a bit more money at players and go for it for a change, it just seems the same old same old every season when was the last time we actually bought a striker bogle was it Who the fans paid for with operation promotion, that proved it can work and chesterfield Wrexham Stockport all doing well and up there I maybe wrong but I can see why a lot of fans are losing interest again, and yes I will still be there home and away no matter what but if not this season it needs something different next in terms of bigger better playing budgets next season, should we go all out for it like others have I believe so UTM ATAW

I'm not sure the Operation promotion money paid directly for Bogle but it may have helped get Nolan to the club who in my view was the player who made the most difference in the last quarter of that season.

We have had a bit of history of the supporters getting their hands in their pockets I seem to recall Joe Waters and Bonetti where funded to a degree by fans direct donations. Lets hope that in this coming window we can get a couple of more addition who have the quality that Nolan had/has.

Once the liability to Fenty is settled then I'd expect the 1878 Board to start seriously courting new investors only then will we see a decent bump in the playing budget that breaks away from the self sustainability model we currently appear to operate. It's a couple of years away I know so as much as it frustrates me "if" that's the plan then it's arguably a sensible long term strategy.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 58
MuddyWaters
December 28, 2021, 1:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,173
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from RonMariner
Actually it can get far worse. Ask any Darlington, or Hereford fan.

We are three points outside the playoff places. All is not not lost.

Ah, there's always someone worse off than us, isn't there?
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 58
aldi_01
December 28, 2021, 2:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Ah, there's always someone worse off than us, isn't there?

We call this ideology the ‘Fenty’…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 58
rancido
December 28, 2021, 2:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,518
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I'm not sure the Operation promotion money paid directly for Bogle but it may have helped get Nolan to the club who in my view was the player who made the most difference in the last quarter of that season.

We have had a bit of history of the supporters getting their hands in their pockets I seem to recall Joe Waters and Bonetti where funded to a degree by fans direct donations. Lets hope that in this coming window we can get a couple of more addition who have the quality that Nolan had/has.

Once the liability to Fenty is settled then I'd expect the 1878 Board to start seriously courting new investors only then will we see a decent bump in the playing budget that breaks away from the self sustainability model we currently appear to operate. It's a couple of years away I know so as much as it frustrates me "if" that's the plan then it's arguably a sensible long term strategy.  

I think the fans donations go further back to the Supporters Club funding the Pontoon Stand in the very early 1960's.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 58
HertsGTFC
December 28, 2021, 3:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

I think the fans donations go further back to the Supporters Club funding the Pontoon Stand in the very early 1960's.

I knew there was something like that but wasn’t sure if it was the Ponny or not.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 58
MuddyWaters
December 28, 2021, 4:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

We call this ideology the ‘Fenty’…

Don’t see it quite like that.

It’s an excuse in all walks of life. ‘Happy with what I’ve got’ shows a lack of ambition to do and be better.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 58
denni266
December 28, 2021, 4:46pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +681
Gold Stars: 131
To win a game or any sport you need to outscore the opposition .. Not by having 10 players ordered to help defend  or else .. We have seen what happens when forwards /  attacking mid field players cause  when its not there usuall way of playing , Its not rocket science to have defenders that can do there job if not get better players .. we played a lot better when we went for the throat early season ,  But  hursts fright what these mighty teams we play can or may do has changed the way we play and has coached our go for the throat out of us . In the end this will get boring   and  fans will find other things to do on match days , Human nature .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 58
malkamalka
December 28, 2021, 5:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
As far as I can recall, we were told by the new owners and the manager that we were going to have a very hard couple of years. Through no fault of their own the owners have prioritised paying off the club debts to the previous owner. If we hadn't have got off to such a flying start, but had held a position just outside the play offs, I think people wouldn't be so angry. What do you want - a debt free club or one that gets promoted but is saddled with unsustainable debt?

For me, and I've been supporting Town for over 60 years, paying off JSF SHOULD be the priority, and if that means a couple of seasons mid table in the National League, then be able to invest in a much better team,  I'd be happy with that. Of those clubs that are throwing "big" money on gambling to get league status back, only TWO can actually get promoted. The others will carry their debt into next season, and again, only two clubs will get promoted to League 2.

By that time, we will have paid our debt and we will then be able to work on the squad.

All these "want it now" merchants just don't get the bigger picture.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 58
MarinerRob
December 28, 2021, 7:26pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,429
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from malkamalka
As far as I can recall, we were told by the new owners and the manager that we were going to have a very hard couple of years. Through no fault of their own the owners have prioritised paying off the club debts to the previous owner. If we hadn't have got off to such a flying start, but had held a position just outside the play offs, I think people wouldn't be so angry. What do you want - a debt free club or one that gets promoted but is saddled with unsustainable debt?

For me, and I've been supporting Town for over 60 years, paying off JSF SHOULD be the priority, and if that means a couple of seasons mid table in the National League, then be able to invest in a much better team,  I'd be happy with that. Of those clubs that are throwing "big" money on gambling to get league status back, only TWO can actually get promoted. The others will carry their debt into next season, and again, only two clubs will get promoted to League 2.

By that time, we will have paid our debt and we will then be able to work on the squad.

I was just about to post the same and, to me, makes perfect sense. Until Fenty is paid off Town's hands are tied financially. When he is just a distance bad memory Town should be able to compete far better. We have to be realistic and patient as much as we want to be 'top dog'.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 58
Ipswin
December 28, 2021, 9:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from malkamalka

Will be live to see it though? You must he a few years ahead of me FFS. I'm have the fast solution please

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 58
MuddyWaters
December 28, 2021, 9:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from malkamalka

We’re back to either or again.

I’m still wondering about the lack of ambition that mid table non league displays. In the medium term, that will reduce gates and, when the salary cap is in place, we will be on a similar footing to the rest of the league.

Not sure a long spell of non league puts the club in a sustainable position.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 58
jamesgtfc
December 28, 2021, 9:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We’re back to either or again.

I’m still wondering about the lack of ambition that mid table non league displays. In the medium term, that will reduce gates and, when the salary cap is in place, we will be on a similar footing to the rest of the league.

Not sure a long spell of non league puts the club in a sustainable position.

When we came back down here in May, how long did you think it would realistically take us to get promoted? 3 years or less is good going I think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 58
MuddyWaters
December 28, 2021, 10:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

When we came back down here in May, how did you think it would realistically take us to get promoted? 3 years or less is good going I think.

I’m not suggesting there’s a target but the great start caused huge expectation and maybe false hope. Gates increased as a result but they will fall just as quickly if we aren’t competitive.

Paying Fenty off is a given. The directors signed up to that. We know from the promotion season that PH doesn’t seem to like big expectation but our early season success seems to have been tempered by what seems to be a lack of aspiration and much less transparency and communication from the board.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 58
jamesgtfc
December 28, 2021, 10:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’m not suggesting there’s a target but the great start caused huge expectation and maybe false hope. Gates increased as a result but they will fall just as quickly if we aren’t competitive.

Paying Fenty off is a given. The directors signed up to that. We know from the promotion season that PH doesn’t seem to like big expectation but our early season success seems to have been tempered by what seems to be a lack of aspiration and much less transparency and communication from the board.

What are they not being transparent about? They recently said they had a few questions with the accounts and wanted those answers before publishing them.

Jason did a 3 part interview with the Telegraph which I found informative and Andrew answered every question he was asked by Matt Dean last week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 58
HerveJosse
December 28, 2021, 11:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,177
Gold Stars: 139
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Your comments are far to observant for the happy clappers beware the red crosses.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 58
aldi_01
December 29, 2021, 9:08am

Barley Wine Drinker
There’s literally nothing from the promotion season to indicate PH isn’t ambitious, quite the opposite with the information that has come out since…

The club have been transparent, they’ve given far more informative and understandable interviews in the 8 months they’ve been here than we had in the previous 20. They can only answer the questions they’ve been asked.

The start to the season was way beyond what any sensible person expected, those with over inflated expectations, which we saw time and time again last time we were down here still think it’s a dog and duck league are the ones still thinking a side that’s been woeful for a few years and club appallingly run for years is suddenly going to become competitive and smash everyone in sight.

It’s a dip, a bad run and there’s clearly several reasons that have impacted results, you don’t need to be a genius to see that and you’d be naive to think people at te club aren’t concerned but sacking a manager isn’t the answer, stability is necessary…being realistic doesn’t make one a happy clapper..,

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 58
HertsGTFC
December 29, 2021, 12:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
There’s literally nothing from the promotion season to indicate PH isn’t ambitious, quite the opposite with the information that has come out since…

The club have been transparent, they’ve given far more informative and understandable interviews in the 8 months they’ve been here than we had in the previous 20. They can only answer the questions they’ve been asked.

The start to the season was way beyond what any sensible person expected, those with over inflated expectations, which we saw time and time again last time we were down here still think it’s a dog and duck league are the ones still thinking a side that’s been woeful for a few years and club appallingly run for years is suddenly going to become competitive and smash everyone in sight.

It’s a dip, a bad run and there’s clearly several reasons that have impacted results, you don’t need to be a genius to see that and you’d be naive to think people at te club aren’t concerned but sacking a manager isn’t the answer, stability is necessary…being realistic doesn’t make one a happy clapper..,

Agree, I think the top half of this league is really tough, much more than when we where down here before. It seems like the pattern  for many of the contenders for promotion looks like ........get relegated from the EFL, go into various levels of disarray off the pitch, get a change of ownership, gain new investment and then become credible and comparative, all of which takes a number of seasons. We've come down but we're not in disarray and have trustworthy owners, when JF is paid up they'll be more investors I think then it will be our opportunity again.

I think the only thing the owners have got wrong is not to bring a time machine with them so that they can transport the proportion of the support and posters on here out of the last century and into the current reality, I'd love it not to be the case but currently I'm afraid to say we're The Mariners and it may be a while yet before we preface that with "Mighty" again.    

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 58
RonMariner
December 29, 2021, 12:45pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,532
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Don’t see it quite like that.

It’s an excuse in all walks of life. ‘Happy with what I’ve got’ shows a lack of ambition to do and be better.

Who says they are happy with what we have? I certainly didn't.

But with more than half the season left to play it's certainly not impossible to close a gap of 4 points to the play offs. It sounds like some are writing this season off already.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 58
Bristol Mariner
December 29, 2021, 1:04pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Seemed to go wrong from Maidenhead, a game we should have won. I blame the players as much as anything, silly sending offs and drop in form. Off field we are paying JSF off and building the infrastructure. The owners have done exactly what they said they would in a transparent way, going to have to be patient like it or not.

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 58
Swansea_Mariner
December 29, 2021, 1:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,431
Gold Stars: 63
I'm struggling to understand the lack of transparency arguments. What exactly do people want to know?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 58
sam gy
December 29, 2021, 2:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,416
Gold Stars: 53
It’s the era of social media and instant news isn’t it. People are simply bored and therefore the club aren’t being transparent.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 58
Bristol Mariner
December 30, 2021, 1:39pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
I'm struggling to understand the lack of transparency arguments. What exactly do people want to know?

Spot on

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 58
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › It cannot get much worse

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.