rancido
December 28, 2021, 2:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,532
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I'm not sure the Operation promotion money paid directly for Bogle but it may have helped get Nolan to the club who in my view was the player who made the most difference in the last quarter of that season.

We have had a bit of history of the supporters getting their hands in their pockets I seem to recall Joe Waters and Bonetti where funded to a degree by fans direct donations. Lets hope that in this coming window we can get a couple of more addition who have the quality that Nolan had/has.

Once the liability to Fenty is settled then I'd expect the 1878 Board to start seriously courting new investors only then will we see a decent bump in the playing budget that breaks away from the self sustainability model we currently appear to operate. It's a couple of years away I know so as much as it frustrates me "if" that's the plan then it's arguably a sensible long term strategy.  

I think the fans donations go further back to the Supporters Club funding the Pontoon Stand in the very early 1960's.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 58
HertsGTFC
December 28, 2021, 3:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from rancido

I think the fans donations go further back to the Supporters Club funding the Pontoon Stand in the very early 1960's.

I knew there was something like that but wasn’t sure if it was the Ponny or not.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 58
MuddyWaters
December 28, 2021, 4:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from aldi_01

We call this ideology the ‘Fenty’…

Don’t see it quite like that.

It’s an excuse in all walks of life. ‘Happy with what I’ve got’ shows a lack of ambition to do and be better.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 58
denni266
December 28, 2021, 4:46pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +700
Gold Stars: 132
To win a game or any sport you need to outscore the opposition .. Not by having 10 players ordered to help defend  or else .. We have seen what happens when forwards /  attacking mid field players cause  when its not there usuall way of playing , Its not rocket science to have defenders that can do there job if not get better players .. we played a lot better when we went for the throat early season ,  But  hursts fright what these mighty teams we play can or may do has changed the way we play and has coached our go for the throat out of us . In the end this will get boring   and  fans will find other things to do on match days , Human nature .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 58
malkamalka
December 28, 2021, 5:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
As far as I can recall, we were told by the new owners and the manager that we were going to have a very hard couple of years. Through no fault of their own the owners have prioritised paying off the club debts to the previous owner. If we hadn't have got off to such a flying start, but had held a position just outside the play offs, I think people wouldn't be so angry. What do you want - a debt free club or one that gets promoted but is saddled with unsustainable debt?

For me, and I've been supporting Town for over 60 years, paying off JSF SHOULD be the priority, and if that means a couple of seasons mid table in the National League, then be able to invest in a much better team,  I'd be happy with that. Of those clubs that are throwing "big" money on gambling to get league status back, only TWO can actually get promoted. The others will carry their debt into next season, and again, only two clubs will get promoted to League 2.

By that time, we will have paid our debt and we will then be able to work on the squad.

All these "want it now" merchants just don't get the bigger picture.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 58
MarinerRob
December 28, 2021, 7:26pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from malkamalka
As far as I can recall, we were told by the new owners and the manager that we were going to have a very hard couple of years. Through no fault of their own the owners have prioritised paying off the club debts to the previous owner. If we hadn't have got off to such a flying start, but had held a position just outside the play offs, I think people wouldn't be so angry. What do you want - a debt free club or one that gets promoted but is saddled with unsustainable debt?

For me, and I've been supporting Town for over 60 years, paying off JSF SHOULD be the priority, and if that means a couple of seasons mid table in the National League, then be able to invest in a much better team,  I'd be happy with that. Of those clubs that are throwing "big" money on gambling to get league status back, only TWO can actually get promoted. The others will carry their debt into next season, and again, only two clubs will get promoted to League 2.

By that time, we will have paid our debt and we will then be able to work on the squad.

I was just about to post the same and, to me, makes perfect sense. Until Fenty is paid off Town's hands are tied financially. When he is just a distance bad memory Town should be able to compete far better. We have to be realistic and patient as much as we want to be 'top dog'.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 58
Ipswin
December 28, 2021, 9:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from malkamalka

Will be live to see it though? You must he a few years ahead of me FFS. I'm have the fast solution please

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 58
MuddyWaters
December 28, 2021, 9:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from malkamalka

We’re back to either or again.

I’m still wondering about the lack of ambition that mid table non league displays. In the medium term, that will reduce gates and, when the salary cap is in place, we will be on a similar footing to the rest of the league.

Not sure a long spell of non league puts the club in a sustainable position.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 58
jamesgtfc
December 28, 2021, 9:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We’re back to either or again.

I’m still wondering about the lack of ambition that mid table non league displays. In the medium term, that will reduce gates and, when the salary cap is in place, we will be on a similar footing to the rest of the league.

Not sure a long spell of non league puts the club in a sustainable position.

When we came back down here in May, how long did you think it would realistically take us to get promoted? 3 years or less is good going I think.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 58
MuddyWaters
December 28, 2021, 10:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

When we came back down here in May, how did you think it would realistically take us to get promoted? 3 years or less is good going I think.

I’m not suggesting there’s a target but the great start caused huge expectation and maybe false hope. Gates increased as a result but they will fall just as quickly if we aren’t competitive.

Paying Fenty off is a given. The directors signed up to that. We know from the promotion season that PH doesn’t seem to like big expectation but our early season success seems to have been tempered by what seems to be a lack of aspiration and much less transparency and communication from the board.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › It cannot get much worse

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.