Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just who is better off?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 246 Guests

Just who is better off?

This thread currently has 2,754 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Mighty_Mariner
December 19, 2021, 5:39pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from arryarryarry
Firstly has anyone "resented" these so called new fans.

Secondly you are describing fans of just about every club there is. If a team is winning attendances will be bigger, if the team is losing attendances will fall.

Resented was a poor choice of word to use, I accept that. And you’re right, this isn’t exclusive to GTFC at all.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 14
rancido
December 20, 2021, 3:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,532
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Anyone who suggests that they haven’t had second thoughts about renewing season tickets over the past few years is, frankly lying.

What’s happened this season is a big ramping up of expectations. Hurst gets uncomfortable with that as he clearly said in 2016 but it’s part of the territory at any club operating at ‘levels’ below what they expect. Sunderland and Portsmouth being good examples.

What happens on the pitch will always be the primary factor in our house. It’s the hope that kills you.

Well I must be a bigger liar than Tom Pepper because I have not questioned my decision to get a ST for even a nanosecond. Even if The Leech had still been running the club I would  have got one. Deride me as much as you like but this is my club, the only club I support (none of this pseudo second Premiersh*t club bollox either). I am 73 and seen a lot of rough and smooth supporting GTFC but they are my club and I will continue to attend BP until I am physically unable.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 14
barralad
December 21, 2021, 11:32am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from barralad

There are literally hundreds of Town fans for whom not buying a S/T is unthinkable. We have fans who have bought season tickets for years without coming to any games. I'd be lying if I said there weren't times when I have backed out of getting on a bus to go to a night game at Yeovil.
You are probably partly right but lighten up a bit eh?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 14
diehardmariner
December 21, 2021, 3:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,428
Gold Stars: 532
I thought it was a decent topic and dilemma to ponder to be honest, is it better to be that invested (time, money, emotion) as someone who's gone through the mill or the casual fan who has a fleeting interest but will come when times are good?

As someone in the former category, there are moments and emotional ties that you just can't replicate in an instant.  It isn't about how many games you saw or how many miles you travelled, but for those fans who had felt every painful inch of the decline since the early 2000's, that moment when Nathan Arnold made it 3-1 on that glorious day in 2016 will have meant so much more than to someone who occasionally glanced over the Saturday scores and thought 'Oh, Town are still excrement I see', even if they were sat next to each other their view on it would have been completely different.

But was it really worth it?  Was it worth feeling in a excrement mood for so many Saturday evenings for that single moment of joy?  I dread to think of the time and money I've spent on this football club, the sacrifices I've made and given up simply doing other stuff that I get more enjoyment out of.

8 defeats out of 9. 9 defeats out of 10. 10 out of 11. 11 out of.... regardless of the form or the division we're in, I'll always be there (be it in mind or person), but I can't deny that I don't enviously glance at those who are able to not really give a excrement.   My love of the so called beautiful game is dwindling at a rapid pace.  I can't remember the last time I watched a full domestic game live on TV (Town in the FA Cup earlier this season aside), most definitely can't remember the last time I was looking forward to a TV game as a neutral.  

Since football shut down in March 2020 I've discovered that there's other things that give me greater enjoyment, or should I say it's hammered home what I really knew anyway - that Saturday afternoons can be spent much better than watching sub-standard football. I've got to admit I actually started to enjoy the freedom that came with not having my Saturday dominated by the football.  The beginning of this season gave me some fleeting hope and I started to enjoy going to BP again.  But with the turn in form and results, I can't say I was particularly disappointed that tonight's game was called off.

I had other commitments for the Chesterfield game so didn't make it (previously something that would be unheard of for me to even consider), which meant my last game was Southend on 19th November.  Can't say I've really missed it to be honest...
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 14
oochiad
December 21, 2021, 3:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,686
Gold Stars: 27
No idea what this is about???????
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 14
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just who is better off?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.