Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Just who is better off?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 294 Guests

Just who is better off?

This thread currently has 2,730 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Mighty_Mariner
December 19, 2021, 4:40am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
There has been a fair bit of chatter this season regarding the increased crowds, especially at home and the question of would they start to drift off from attending if results took a downward turn.

Some people have perhaps slightly resented these ‘new fans’ as they see them as jumping on the bandwagon of positivity from the takeover, but were nowhere to be seen, even remotely close to Blundell Park during the barren latter years in the football league and then the National League and I ask, who is in the better position here as a ‘fan’

The takeover and subsequent removal of Me Fenton poisoned a fair few pistols to attend at the beginning of the season and, in my opinion, we’re carried on a wave of optimism following early season victories, atmosphere and match day experience… regularly seeing whole families together to watch the Mariners, which was fantastic to see, and that experience and winning environment brought them back game after game, to the point where, for the first time in 34-years of supporting Town, tickets in the days running up to a league have been very hard to come by. I don’t think I can ever remember a time where we couldn’t walk the ticket office and 14:45 on a match day and not be able to purchase a seat. I worry these fans will not be so keen to shell out for tickets to see us lose/draw regularly and we will be down to the remaining hardcore of fans who are there through thick and thin, to their detriment sometimes even.

Hopefully, enough of them have been bitten by the bug anyway and are hooked in already to resist the temptation to walk away.

I’m not for a second here downplaying the ‘casual fan’ here or suggesting they are more at fault than those that who go home and away most weeks, each fan is important as the next…

Who is in the in the better position here? This casual fan who can walk away quite comfortably without giving it too much though and return at some point in the future, be that months or year down the line, but doesn’t perhaps get to experience the beautiful thrilling ups and downs of being a match-going fan week in week out.

Or the die-hard, who is there week in week out, rain or shine, good form or bad paying their money and backing the team on a match day, but who cannot possibly walk away and are in a weird sort of way imprisoned to following their team regardless of the financial, emotional, even physical toll it, regardless of team performances, personnel changes or the internal goings-on in the dugout, boardroom, offices or occasionally the pontoon stand pitch-side, arguing with fans who dared to question poor performances of a certain previous joint-manager.

So, who has the better deal here? Be interested to know your thoughts.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
arryarryarry
December 19, 2021, 2:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Firstly has anyone "resented" these so called new fans.

Secondly you are describing fans of just about every club there is. If a team is winning attendances will be bigger, if the team is losing attendances will fall.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 14
Simon
December 19, 2021, 3:26pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Approval: +259
Gold Stars: 32
Maybe some of these "Resented" fans had good reason not to attend for the last few seasons, from my own experience i had a season ticket for over 20 years was there week in week out and got to as many away games as i could but the way we just imploded and went down the leagues for me was too much, it was ruining my weekends, my relationship and even my mental health was suffering so i had to stop going things really did get that bad. I have always been a one team man and still supported the team but only from a distance. Then the takeover happened and i had renewed optimism so ventured back, living out of town and working away means i cant get to every game but i will always be black n white even if resented by the new generation of town fan

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 14
chaos33
December 19, 2021, 3:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,787
Gold Stars: 349
I can’t say I understand what you’ve posted to be honest.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 14
KingstonMariner
December 19, 2021, 3:54pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Good question Mighty. Not really sure of an answer. The casual fan (who hasn’t yet caught the bug/illness fully) who can walk away maybe isn’t so wounded when things don’t go well. But then they probably don’t get the same relief/joy when things do go well.

Also as Simon wrote, there’s only so much a person can put up with before the tank is empty and choices have to be made.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 14
MuddyWaters
December 19, 2021, 4:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Anyone who suggests that they haven’t had second thoughts about renewing season tickets over the past few years is, frankly lying.

What’s happened this season is a big ramping up of expectations. Hurst gets uncomfortable with that as he clearly said in 2016 but it’s part of the territory at any club operating at ‘levels’ below what they expect. Sunderland and Portsmouth being good examples.

What happens on the pitch will always be the primary factor in our house. It’s the hope that kills you.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 14
golfer
December 19, 2021, 4:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,376
Gold Stars: 112
Over the years I can't count the number of times I've said  "That's your lot " but I turn up as usual at the next match under the pretence that I've paid for my season ticket so I might as well go ( telling myself that that is the only reason )  Last week I was isolating and sat there with DAB radio, FN radio and TV tuned to Freeview waiting to see which frequency will feature Town's game panicking in case I couldn't listen.   I sit through nearly 2 hours of utter shite unable to turn off in case  I miss a goal (knowing full well we wont score)  At the end I decide "That's your lot"      I've forgotten what the question was but I know it's a lot harder being a TRUE fan than a CASUAL one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 14
Mayaman
December 19, 2021, 5:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,259
Gold Stars: 71
TBH I wish I could be more fickle.  Then again I wish I could care more about money and have invested it more wisely when I were younger (sometimes) but then I wouldn't be me.  I'm proud to be a Mariners fan and most real fans from other clubs nod their approval when I say who I support.  I do get respect for it but it seems to be getting harder to hold my head up high when I'm asked who I support.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 14
HertsGTFC
December 19, 2021, 5:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
There has been a fair bit of chatter this season regarding the increased crowds, especially at home and the question of would they start to drift off from attending if results took a downward turn.

Some people have perhaps slightly resented these ‘new fans’ as they see them as jumping on the bandwagon of positivity from the takeover, but were nowhere to be seen, even remotely close to Blundell Park during the barren latter years in the football league and then the National League and I ask, who is in the better position here as a ‘fan’

The takeover and subsequent removal of Me Fenton poisoned a fair few pistols to attend at the beginning of the season and, in my opinion, we’re carried on a wave of optimism following early season victories, atmosphere and match day experience… regularly seeing whole families together to watch the Mariners, which was fantastic to see, and that experience and winning environment brought them back game after game, to the point where, for the first time in 34-years of supporting Town, tickets in the days running up to a league have been very hard to come by. I don’t think I can ever remember a time where we couldn’t walk the ticket office and 14:45 on a match day and not be able to purchase a seat. I worry these fans will not be so keen to shell out for tickets to see us lose/draw regularly and we will be down to the remaining hardcore of fans who are there through thick and thin, to their detriment sometimes even.

Hopefully, enough of them have been bitten by the bug anyway and are hooked in already to resist the temptation to walk away.

I’m not for a second here downplaying the ‘casual fan’ here or suggesting they are more at fault than those that who go home and away most weeks, each fan is important as the next…

Who is in the in the better position here? This casual fan who can walk away quite comfortably without giving it too much though and return at some point in the future, be that months or year down the line, but doesn’t perhaps get to experience the beautiful thrilling ups and downs of being a match-going fan week in week out.

Or the die-hard, who is there week in week out, rain or shine, good form or bad paying their money and backing the team on a match day, but who cannot possibly walk away and are in a weird sort of way imprisoned to following their team regardless of the financial, emotional, even physical toll it, regardless of team performances, personnel changes or the internal goings-on in the dugout, boardroom, offices or occasionally the pontoon stand pitch-side, arguing with fans who dared to question poor performances of a certain previous joint-manager.

So, who has the better deal here? Be interested to know your thoughts.

What on earth are you talking about?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 14
chaos33
December 19, 2021, 5:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,787
Gold Stars: 349
I’ve no idea ??

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 14
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Just who is better off?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.