2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
December 18, 2021, 8:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Either the club sticks with a manager who seems to have lost the players and lets him invest in replacing them or goes against the loyalty they’ve promised and pull the trigger.

8 defeats in 9? It’s a long way back from there Paul.
Private Message
mariner91
December 18, 2021, 8:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,248
Gold Stars: 253
This was worth starting a new thread for.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
GYinScuntland
December 18, 2021, 8:59pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,210
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from mariner91

No small irony that you were the first to add to it then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
mariner91
December 18, 2021, 9:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,248
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from GYinScuntland

No small irony that you were the first to add to it then.

Not sure you understand irony.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
MuddyWaters
December 18, 2021, 9:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Pot, kettle.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
WOZOFGRIMSBY
December 18, 2021, 9:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from mariner91

Judging by the state of my wardrobe my mrs doesn’t

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
davmariner
December 18, 2021, 9:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,860
Gold Stars: 75
Sacking a manager mid season has very rarely resulted in a massive shift in performance. One thing that those who want rid haven’t been able to answer, is who do you want instead?

Naturally after defeats, the annoyance of the fans manifests itself in calling for the manager to be sacked. But let’s think about this rationally. If we get rid of Hurst now, it’s very unlikely that we’d get someone in before the January window. Whilst we can bring players in, outside of the window, indirectly we are subject to it as that’s when players move in and out of EFL clubs, and to a large extent we’re reliant on that market.

Recruitment isn’t just about ‘bam’, January 1st is here, let’s get started. It mostly involves weeks/months of planning ahead, speaking to agents and convincing players. It’s unlikely that a new manager will be in a position to shape things in the way he wants in this window, with the trend being that managers wanting their own people in and getting rid of the previous manager’s players.

So my point is, in bringing in someone new, you can pretty much give up on this season. It’s also a risk in that there’s the danger that a change could destabilise us even further if the players don’t respond to a new manager. Eg. look at when Hartlepool gave Craig Hignett the boot a few years and brought in Dave Jones.

Patience is needed as we consolidate this season - though that doesn’t mean fans shouldn’t ask questions and be constructive. I really don’t want us to get back into the cycle of sack a manager in the winter, bring someone new in, mass changes in the summer, sack the manager in the winter etc. It’s not sustainable financially and it continues to set us back.

As I’ve said before, it was always going to be difficult for Hurst to get all the right pieces of the jigsaw - personnel wise - in the summer. Obviously, we have areas that we’re light in. We desperately need a frontman (maybe even two if you subscribe to The Shop being past it). We’re too reliant on young, inexperienced loan players who don’t really have a stake in the future of the club. I can probably count on one hand in the last five years or so, how many loan players we’ve had that have consistently impressed.

This league isn’t easy, as Notts, Chesterfield, Wrexham, Torquay and Stockport will tell you. But in Hurst we have a good manager at this level, who works hard, doesn’t take any nonsense from players, who can turn this around - even if it takes the season to consolidate and map out the areas where we need reinforcements next summer.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
ackomariner
December 18, 2021, 9:29pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from davmariner
Sacking a manager mid season has very rarely resulted in a massive shift in performance. One thing that those who want rid haven’t been able to answer, is who do you want instead?

Naturally after defeats, the annoyance of the fans manifests itself in calling for the manager to be sacked. But let’s think about this rationally. If we get rid of Hurst now, it’s very unlikely that we’d get someone in before the January window. Whilst we can bring players in, outside of the window, indirectly we are subject to it as that’s when players move in and out of EFL clubs, and to a large extent we’re reliant on that market.

Recruitment isn’t just about ‘bam’, January 1st is here, let’s get started. It mostly involves weeks/months of planning ahead, speaking to agents and convincing players. It’s unlikely that a new manager will be in a position to shape things in the way he wants in this window, with the trend being that managers wanting their own people in and getting rid of the previous manager’s players.

So my point is, in bringing in someone new, you can pretty much give up on this season. It’s also a risk in that there’s the danger that a change could destabilise us even further if the players don’t respond to a new manager. Eg. look at when Hartlepool gave Craig Hignett the boot a few years and brought in Dave Jones.

Patience is needed as we consolidate this season - though that doesn’t mean fans shouldn’t ask questions and be constructive. I really don’t want us to get back into the cycle of sack a manager in the winter, bring someone new in, mass changes in the summer, sack the manager in the winter etc. It’s not sustainable financially and it continues to set us back.

As I’ve said before, it was always going to be difficult for Hurst to get all the right pieces of the jigsaw - personnel wise - in the summer. Obviously, we have areas that we’re light in. We desperately need a frontman (maybe even two if you subscribe to The Shop being past it). We’re too reliant on young, inexperienced loan players who don’t really have a stake in the future of the club. I can probably count on one hand in the last five years or so, how many loan players we’ve had that have consistently impressed.

This league isn’t easy, as Notts, Chesterfield, Wrexham, Torquay and Stockport will tell you. But in Hurst we have a good manager at this level, who works hard, doesn’t take any nonsense from players, who can turn this around - even if it takes the season to consolidate and map out the areas where we need reinforcements next summer.

So as I see it,  you don't want to change manager because we can write the season off. But the bottom part I've highlighted you've stated just that with Hurst to consolidate this season and start afresh with new signings in the summer.
A new manager could do exactly the same as Hurst but looks like you'd rather stick.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 18, 2021, 9:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,784
Gold Stars: 548
I’d rather have big robjones back
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
MuddyWaters
December 18, 2021, 9:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ackomariner

So as I see it,  you don't want to change manager because we can write the season off. But the bottom part I've highlighted you've stated just that with Hurst to consolidate this season and start afresh with new signings in the summer.
A new manager could do exactly the same as Hurst but looks like you'd rather stick.

I’m with this.

Despite improved facilities and staff levels, the club isn’t making progress under this management team. Paul Hurst is not of the same level as Buckley and probably shouldn’t have come back. There seems to be a lot of turd polishing going on but a turd will always be a turd.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
MuddyWaters
December 18, 2021, 9:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ackomariner

I’m with this.

Despite improved facilities and staff levels, the club isn’t making progress under this management team. Paul Hurst is not of the same level as Buckley and probably shouldn’t have come back. There seems to be a lot of turd polishing going on but a turd will always be a turd.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 13
LH
December 18, 2021, 9:51pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Quoted from mariner91

I enjoy the weekly “I’m just saying what all the other threads are saying” column if you don’t mind.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 13
Mighty_Mariner
December 19, 2021, 5:46am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from davmariner

Bingo!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 13
GibMariner
December 19, 2021, 8:13am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -894
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from davmariner

1, it’s not our job to look who’s out there, interview and appoint. You don’t have to be a football persons to pick a manager with your quality’s.

2, after a few losses the board should have been considering what if and pre planning, not waiting for 10 games.

3, players availability is far from planning unless you throw money at it. It becomes Hobson Choice to what’s out there.

4, we are near the playoffs and could turn it around but have you seen a spark from within to do that irrespective of 2 recent signings. Remember 12 players in last mid season window and PH still relegated us even though we we’re well clear of the drop zone when he arrived.

If you keep doing the same thing, things are not likely to change or improve. In reality could anyone think that had there been no change at the top table, that Hursty could have remained after relegating us last season.

Private Message
Reply: 13 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for big cojones

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.