Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Christmas fixtures, what can we hope for?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 342 Guests

Christmas fixtures, what can we hope for?

This thread currently has 6,254 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Mendonca1995
December 18, 2021, 8:26am
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Christmas fixtures what can we hope for………

A MIRACLE

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 64
MarinerWY
December 18, 2021, 9:21am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Also, just a note re: hospitalisatons. Whilst there may be that data coming out of South Africa, in the UK we are already seeing Onicron lead to an increase in hospitalisatons:
BBC News - Covid: More measures needed to limit hospitalisations - Sage scientists
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59707252

Admissions have been rising by 800-900 a day.

I'm not 'pro' or 'anti' lockdown. This year has been so incredibly hard I just desperately want this whole thing over. And I don't want to see schools and front line services close again cos we've seen so many vulnerable children slip through the net (I work in Children & Youth Services - it's not just the most horrific cases that we've all seen on the news recently, there are so many more). But neither do I want to see an overwhelmed NHS and essential healthcare appointments being cancelled, cancer screenings bring missed and operations being postponed.

I would reinstate furlough, bailouts of pub&restaurant industry, shut stuff down for a couple weeks but keep all front line services running in full (as in, face to face).

I worry they'll keep the Christmas trade open, then delay schools coming back. The longer professionals don't have sight of young people... the two weeks of Christmas holiday becoming 3 or 4 weeks, the more chance of unchecked abuse, or of suicidal ideation being acted on, or of malnutrition ... my red line is deaths within largely elderly folk who would potential die of the flu if they caught it, is less of a priority than safeguarding children. Obviously that's harsh for families of those people and of course its hugely regrettable, but weighing up that's where I'd put my priorities 1000%.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 64
jamesgtfc
December 18, 2021, 9:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from MarinerWY
I worry they'll keep the Christmas trade open, then delay schools coming back.

There will be absolute carnage if they keep schools closed in January. I genuinely fear for the outlook kids of today have in 10-15 years due to the lost out education.

Mentally my eldest can't handle it, he's only just made friendships again and refuses to do any home learning.

Whatever they do, schools need to remain open now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 64
aldi_01
December 18, 2021, 10:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from jamesgtfc

There will be absolute carnage if they keep schools closed in January. I genuinely fear for the outlook kids of today have in 10-15 years due to the lost out education.

Mentally my eldest can't handle it, he's only just made friendships again and refuses to do any home learning.

Whatever they do, schools need to remain open now.

It’s interesting that any school leaders they seem to quote are seemingly ‘pro’ lockdown stuff when in truth, in my role I meet many school leaders who are saying very much the opposite.

I could write a thesis on the impact covid has had on both pupils and staff, then factor in parents etc.

The simple answer is, it’s very easy for someone sat on a panel or a government mouth piece to suggest a lockdown but in reality it’s not that simple. As an experienced educator, I’d say another bout of lockdown and home learning will be detrimental. You can argue about so called safety and the likes but I’m seeing kids who are ordinarily pretty ‘atypical’ finding things tough, the same is being seen in adults…as a phrase I heard the other day…”I don’t work from home, I sleep at work”…

It doesn’t matter whether you’re for or against lockdowns, the lasting effect is huge and I know someone will say health is more important and all that jazz but if the rest is ignored then we’re just heading for disaster…social care and mental health services, whilst being severely under funded are now at breaking point, education is all over the place and there’s an argument that suggests that had the NHS been funded appropriately in the past, it would be in a position to deal with the alleged increase in need…I say alleged because again, I’m not entirely sure the figures can be believed…

It’s a mess but for me there are equally as big concerns that need focus that aren’t getting it…that’s merely my opinion.

As for town, I’m hoping for at least 7 points…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 64
Poojah
December 18, 2021, 10:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,475
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Maringer
It certainly appears as though Omicron is less virulent than Delta and an early study just released seems to indicate that it may be quite a bit less dangerous to lung tissue than all previous variants. The theory is that this might lead to less serious illness. However, the rapid infection rate means that this might not be enough to save us from disaster.

Important factors to consider when comparing what seems to be occurring in South Africa to what may happen here:

Median age in South Africa: ~28
Median age in the UK: ~40

We have a much, much older population than in South Africa. Age is the major factor with serious disease in Covid and it is pretty certain that this will hold true with Omicron.

South Africa has had approximately double the death rate per capita compared to the UK (as calculated through excess death estimates) during the pandemic. The 3 previous waves hit there badly and they didn't have the ability to lockdown in the way we did and didn't have the levels of medical care we did. This means that a lot of the most vulnerable in SA have already been lost before Omicron hit.

Seroprevalence measured in Gauteng province before Omicron hit was (I seem to remember reading - sorry don't have the link to hand) something over 70% i.e. around three-quarters of people have previously been infected. The ONS surveillance reports indicate that around 20% of the UK population have probably been infected during the pandemic. Rates in older people and the vulnerable will be a lot lower than this due to shielding and the lockdowns. It is thought that prior infection probably provides a broader immune response than the vaccines though not known if one is better than the other when it comes to avoiding serious disease.

It is the summer in South Africa and the winter here. You're not going to have many people meeting indoors with the windows and doors closed in SA to keep things warm enough. I wouldn't expect there is too much aircon in use in SA among the most vulnerable populations.

These factors need to be taken into account when comparing the UK with the outcomes in SA.

Things we have going in our benefit are that we've got a much, much larger proportion of the population vaccinated. We've got a stronger healthcare service as well, though that will break if Omicron isn't incredibly mild in comparison to previous variants. The rate of infection is incredible, doubling in 1.5 days at present (and Yorkshire & the Humber have the highest rate of increase in the latest data). If we just carry on as normal, the hospitals will be overwhelmed in a few weeks even if Omicron is only one 10th as dangerous as Delta (a hypothetical number plucked out of the air to prove a point) - at the current rates of increase (which are likely to fall), that's would be about one additional week of cases to wipe out the drop in risk of 90%.

We'll have to wait and see how serious it proves to be in populations with similar demographics and vaccine status to ourselves. Unfortunately, there is only the UK, Denmark and Norway at the head of the Omicron wave at present. Denmark a bit ahead of other developed countries though probably only by a few days. Denmark and Norway have already brought in some restrictions and are increasing them as the days go on. We're not. It will take a week or two to see how this affects infection rates over there (they will continue to rocket up in Denark and Norway for a while yet due to those already infected but not symptomatic) and it will provide an interesting comparison with our approach of doing sodomist all.

I'd guess we're heading towards disaster rather than catastrophe which doesn't exactly encourage me.

If a mod wants to move this post to the other forum, not a problem for me. Just replying here because that's where Poojah has made his comments.

I keep seeing these arguments regarding the younger population of South Africa, but it’s counter-intuitive. This isn’t the result of some kind of baby boom - the reason that the population of South Africa is 12 years younger than the UK is largely due to its average life expectancy being around 14 years lower; the average South African dies in their 60s.

This is because the people of SA are, on average, much poorer, less healthy and have less access to healthcare than the people of the UK. Whilst there may be a smaller concentration of over 70s, the level of vulnerability at each age group as you work down through the population is going to be significantly greater than it is in the UK. South Africa has a 20% prevalence of HIV amongst its adult population, which is astonishingly high when you think about it.

Add to that the much lower vaccination rates in SA, and now the fact that around half of UK adults have had a third jab (key in protection from Omicron), then there are even more advantages on our side.

Again, I would reiterate that I am not suggesting that Omicron is nothing to worry about. We have a messy few weeks ahead no doubt. But at every stage of the pandemic previously, models from the likes of SAGE etc have proven to be grossly pessimistic and I’d that to be especially pronounced this time around.

Anyway, time will tell if I’m right or wrong; probably only a couple of weeks’ worth.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 64
Simon
December 18, 2021, 10:28am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +237
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Son of Cod

Assuming he means in 2016 when we took about 2,000 fans and were 3-0 down after half an hour and lost 4-2. Loads of idiots smashed up Halifax Town centre and Toto Nsiala got racially abused thus pretty much ensuring he left us in the summer. Not our finest day at the office.

And then people moan when we receive a reduced ticket allocation, cant behave like neanderthals but expect to be treated like adults

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 64
aldi_01
December 18, 2021, 10:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Simon

And then people moan when we receive a reduced ticket allocation, cant behave like neanderthals but expect to be treated like adults

That day at Halifax was embarrassing, the result was insignificant after people racially abused their own player and then many, plenty on here too, defended the actions and claimed there was no racist comments…if I remember rightly, the club did little to deal with it either…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 64
Hagrid
December 18, 2021, 11:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,384
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from aldi_01

That day at Halifax was embarrassing, the result was insignificant after people racially abused their own player and then many, plenty on here too, defended the actions and claimed there was no racist comments…if I remember rightly, the club did little to deal with it either…

Was my worst experiance following town
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 64
Poojah
December 18, 2021, 11:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,475
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Hagrid

Was my worst experiance following town

Mine was when I desperately needed a shít at Hillsborough but all of the traps were full with people skinning up joints.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 64
Ipswin
December 18, 2021, 1:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from MarinerWY

I worry they'll keep the Christmas trade open,

I would think it's absolutely 100% nailed on certain, after all we can't interfere with folk on their Christmas urine-ups in the pubs and clubs can we?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Christmas fixtures, what can we hope for?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.