Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Ancient Mariners
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 332 Guests

Grimsby Ancient Mariners

This thread currently has 3,643 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Northbank Mariner
December 14, 2021, 5:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
https://twitter.com/JOE_co_uk/status/1470770555766910992?t=byjj7rWZJsQh4gi75YOFyQ&s=19

This is well worth a watch, quite inspirational really ..UTM..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Croxton
December 14, 2021, 7:20pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Bloomin' marvelous isn't it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
promotion plaice
December 14, 2021, 7:32pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,954
Gold Stars: 189

What an inspiration these people are, and the way they are supporting each other is fantastic.

Puts your faith back in humanity after some of the horrendous stories recently.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
Grimsby Is Not In Yorkshire
December 14, 2021, 7:59pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +234
Gold Stars: 16
That is absolutely brilliant. Love it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
Les Brechin
December 14, 2021, 8:16pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
I've often thought of joining these but a bit worried that I have part of my skull missing after the removal of my brain tumour and have to be very careful not to bang that side of my head. I know this is played at walking pace but still a bit worried about what could happen.

If anyone does play for them, I'd appreciate some advice about what the game does actually entail, obviously heading the ball is a no no for me, but not 100% sure what the actual rules are.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
Poojah
December 14, 2021, 8:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,490
Quoted from Les Brechin
I've often thought of joining these but a bit worried that I have part of my skull missing after the removal of my brain tumour and have to be very careful not to bang that side of my head. I know this is played at walking pace but still a bit worried about what could happen.

If anyone does play for them, I'd appreciate some advice about what the game does actually entail, obviously heading the ball is a no no for me, but not 100% sure what the actual rules are.

Solutions not problems, Les. Should help keep you Omicron-free too!

[img]https://i.ibb.co/m6Mt1fC/78365-1.jpg[/img]

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
Les Brechin
December 14, 2021, 8:27pm

Quoted from Poojah

Solutions not problems, Les. Should help keep you Omicron-free too!

[img]https://i.ibb.co/m6Mt1fC/78365-1.jpg[/img]

Ha Ha, that'd be perfect Poojah.  

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
tanga_the_indestructible
December 14, 2021, 8:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Les Brechin

I've been playing walking football for about  6 seasons down south and I've played a few times at Bradley when I've been home. There's no heading (free kick if it's above head height) and since Covid no tackling, really, either. I've only seen one injury in all that time (a broken finger saving a ball), it's genuinely played in a good spirit and the oldest player at my local game is 81.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
Les Brechin
December 14, 2021, 8:48pm

I've been playing walking football for about  6 seasons down south and I've played a few times at Bradley when I've been home. There's no heading (free kick if it's above head height) and since Covid no tackling, really, either. I've only seen one injury in all that time (a broken finger saving a ball), it's genuinely played in a good spirit and the oldest player at my local game is 81.

If there's no heading, I might actually pop down one day when they're playing and have a word, although being called ancient might grind the gears a bit.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
Norseman
December 14, 2021, 11:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +263
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from Les Brechin

If there's no heading, I might actually pop down one day when they're playing and have a word, although being called ancient might grind the gears a bit.  

I play walking football at Bradley 4 days a week Les .While there is no heading balls do occasionally hit people in the head and also occasional accidental collisions .It is always the case to try and avoid any physical contact but we have had people hit in the head accidentally by a flailing arm or as I say from a ball .But come down by all means and have a look .We also have people just come for the social side of watching as they have injury issues  and just  having a coffee and a bacon bun afterwards. Everyone over 55 is welcome
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
DB
December 15, 2021, 5:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,876
Gold Stars: 383
I enjoyed this vid, it just goes to show how football can help mental health, particularly depression. Well done to those who organise the games.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
aldi_01
December 15, 2021, 9:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Aren’t there some really good walking footballers locally? Playing for England or have I made that up?

My old man plays, loves it and said it’s proper good fun.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
Poojah
December 15, 2021, 9:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,490
Quoted from aldi_01
Aren’t there some really good walking footballers locally?

Ryan Sears tends to walk places recently…

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
aldi_01
December 15, 2021, 11:09am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Poojah

Ryan Sears tends to walk places recently…

With Scott Brown?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
Mayaman
December 15, 2021, 12:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,259
Gold Stars: 71
Les, you could wear one of those things like Petr Cech.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
Mayaman
December 15, 2021, 12:18pm
Brandy Drinker
I am 54 so would have to wait a year to play.  I'd love it.  Recently, I helped trained some primary kids, I managed to outrun them (tsk modern kids eh) in 32 degrees and 85% humidity.  Every week I couldn't walk for three days but I kept going back.  We set up a game where the teachers played the students.  The PE teacher told me I was with the kids.  He said that they needed me to organise them.  I think he thought I was a liability as I was by far the oldest.  That's the gauntlet down - bring it on.  None of the kids would go in goal because they thought there would be shots reigning in, so I went between the sticks.  I pulled on my Town shirt gritted my teeth and threw myself into it - literally.  They couldn't believe I was diving.  I was cut to ribbons because of the astroturf and got a headbutt for my troubles but I didn't concede by half time.  In the second half a lad went in goal and I managed to put us ahead to high pitched cheers from the crowd.  They then replied with two goals in close succession.  I was crying out for water and, more importantly, oxygen.  My legs felt like lead but the ball came to me out in space and I surged, er no , plodded goal bound.  I saw the twenty something school PE teacher, yoga instructor and super sportsman out the corner of my eye bearing down on me.   I'm not a natural goal scorer  so wanted to get closer but  the sight of the aforementioned musclebound gazelle like figure honing in on me prompted me to release the trigger. Either, that or my legs told me to urine off and they weren't gonna move anymore. The ball flew into the top corner as I landed unceremoniously on my bottom.  I subbed myself off and thought about calling an ambulance.  The young uns held on for the draw.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 29
Les Brechin
December 15, 2021, 12:41pm

Quoted from Mayaman
Les, you could wear one of those things like Petr Cech.  

I've actually got one!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
Croxton
December 15, 2021, 1:20pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Mayaman
I am 54 so would have to wait a year to play.  I'd love it.  Recently, I helped trained some primary kids, I managed to outrun them (tsk modern kids eh) in 32 degrees and 85% humidity.  Every week I couldn't walk for three days but I kept going back.  We set up a game where the teachers played the students.  The PE teacher told me I was with the kids.  He said that they needed me to organise them.  I think he thought I was a liability as I was by far the oldest.  That's the gauntlet down - bring it on.  None of the kids would go in goal because they thought there would be shots reigning in, so I went between the sticks.  I pulled on my Town shirt gritted my teeth and threw myself into it - literally.  They couldn't believe I was diving.  I was cut to ribbons because of the astroturf and got a headbutt for my troubles but I didn't concede by half time.  In the second half a lad went in goal and I managed to put us ahead to high pitched cheers from the crowd.  They then replied with two goals in close succession.  I was crying out for water and, more importantly, oxygen.  My legs felt like lead but the ball came to me out in space and I surged, er no , plodded goal bound.  I saw the twenty something school PE teacher, yoga instructor and super sportsman out the corner of my eye bearing down on me.   I'm not a natural goal scorer  so wanted to get closer but  the sight of the aforementioned musclebound gazelle like figure honing in on me prompted me to release the trigger. Either, that or my legs told me to urine off and they weren't gonna move anymore. The ball flew into the top corner as I landed unceremoniously on my bottom.  I subbed myself off and thought about calling an ambulance.  The young uns held on for the draw.

And you hold on to the memory. At 72, I can remember moments of football and cricket games but not the last time I put my kit on in a competitive game. Sadly, I stopped playing sports and running over the Pennines far too soon and regret it. I walk regularly with a 74 year old who does fell running events in the Lake District, is a national champion in Orienteering and goes to the gym. Age is less of a barrier nowadays.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
DB
December 15, 2021, 1:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,876
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from Mayaman

Enjoyable post. Keep going my friend your never too old. it's the others that seem to get younger.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 29
gobby
December 15, 2021, 4:30pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Mayaman

Throughly enjoyed reading that, gave me a little chuckle. 😎 ⭐️
UTMM  

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
Mayaman
December 15, 2021, 5:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from gobby

Throughly enjoyed reading that, gave me a little chuckle. 😎 ⭐️
UTMM  

Thanks mate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
Grimal
December 15, 2021, 11:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +2,850
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Les Brechin

Les, I play for both Grimsby Ancient Mariners and Grimsby Corinthians and I'm in the EWFC over 70's squad. I play at least three sessions a week down at Bradley and train once a month in the Birmingham area with the EWFC squad,We also play games against other clubs ,be it friendlies ,tournaments or league basis. I can fully recommend walking football to anyone of any age,younger people,both men and women are also taking up the sport. Yes injuries do occur but only by accident,not with intent. The Ancient Mariners play two variations of Walking football, there is a slightly more competitive game with a max of 12 players per side and is multi-touch and above head height and heading is allowed,the other games are on smaller pitches approx 6 a side depending on attendance , 3 touch and no heading and no above crossbar level,which is approx 6ft high,tackling from behind is not allowed in either game.I'm 74 and started playing walking football down Bradley in 2013.Aswell as the football side of things there are other events that club members can enjoy,We have members playing that's had heart attacks,strokes and some that have had serious injuries in their earlier footballing days. Everyone respects other players playing abilities .Come down and give it a go. Ancient Mariners sessions are Monday and Thursday 10am to 11am.and Grimsby Corinthians have sessions Tuesday 10am to 11am  and Thursday 11am to 12pm.. These sessions are at Bradley Football Development Centre,the facilities there are fantastic.
Corinthians also have female sessions and a mens evening session.
Hope this is helpful.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
Grimal
December 15, 2021, 11:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
Aren’t there some really good walking footballers locally? Playing for England or have I made that up?

My old man plays, loves it and said it’s proper good fun.

Does you Dad play at the Bradley sessions ? and yes he's right, it's proper good fun  .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
ginnywings
December 16, 2021, 2:41am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
My cousin goes and is always asking me why I don't give it a go, which I intended to do until I developed some medical problems that dragged on for 18 months due to covid restrictions curtailing my surgery. Finally got that done just before the last lock down and have spent the last year trying to get slimmer and fitter after putting on a bit of chub due to inactivity,

Fully intend to give it a bash in the new year and even in my younger peak footballing days, I very rarely broke into a sprint, so it will be right up my street.  

Like the sound of the slightly more competitive version.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
Grimal
December 16, 2021, 11:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
My cousin goes and is always asking me why I don't give it a go, which I intended to do until I developed some medical problems that dragged on for 18 months due to covid restrictions curtailing my surgery. Finally got that done just before the last lock down and have spent the last year trying to get slimmer and fitter after putting on a bit of chub due to inactivity,

Fully intend to give it a bash in the new year and even in my younger peak footballing days, I very rarely broke into a sprint, so it will be right up my street.  

Like the sound of the slightly more competitive version.

You'll soon lose those extra pounds you put on Ginny, I play in the more competetive version but If you haven't played for a while it would be advisable to start at the slower pace,newcomers seem to pick up pulls and strains in the first few weeks due to trying to play like they did in their younger days  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
ginnywings
December 17, 2021, 1:36am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Grimal

You'll soon lose those extra pounds you put on Ginny, I play in the more competetive version but If you haven't played for a while it would be advisable to start at the slower pace,newcomers seem to pick up pulls and strains in the first few weeks due to trying to play like they did in their younger days  

Good advice, although I am fit for my age. I walk at least 5 miles every day (8 today), so adding the booting of a ball to that regime shouldn't phase me too much.

Obviously, there will be other muscles and other movements involved, so a gradual build up would be the order of the day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
Civvy at last
December 17, 2021, 5:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.05
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,200
Gold Stars: 131
Is there one for evenings/weekends for those old enough to play. But young enough to still be in full time employment ?  

Obviously asking for a friend 😉

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
Les Brechin
December 17, 2021, 7:29am

Quoted from Civvy at last
Is there one for evenings/weekends for those old enough to play. But young enough to still be in full time employment ?  

My question too Civvy.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
RobDef1
December 17, 2021, 11:19am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,115
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Mayaman

Best read in a long time. Niceone  

Codhead, socialist, recovered addict.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
Grimal
December 18, 2021, 2:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Civvy at last

Grimsby Corinthians have an evening session on Wednesdays for you younguns To much for me but have heard that they are very enjoyable sessions and I know that most players are still in full time enployment.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Ancient Mariners

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.