8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
fishboyUTM
December 13, 2021, 9:06am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,067
Gold Stars: 40
Anyone know what's going on with him? Surely he hasn't been dropped, especially when we played three centre backs the other day, all similar. Towler reminds me of a young Paul Futcher, he's immense and reads the game so well. Makes it look easy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
December 13, 2021, 9:20am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
I think 'rested' would be the official term.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 76
golfer
December 13, 2021, 9:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,419
Gold Stars: 115
He's too much of an attacking player for Hurst's tactics - he disobeyed orders and came out of his own penalty area as he thought the congestion was too much when we were supposedly attacking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 76
fishboyUTM
December 13, 2021, 9:38am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I think 'rested' would be the official term.

So he played three similar warhorse types in a back three against the leaders. Not surprised we played the 'percentage' balls (which means whacking the ball to nobody) when we have the divisions best centre back IMO available to us. At least he didn't play him at left back this time.

If I was Towler, I'd be packing my bags and heading back to Bristol.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 76
chaos33
December 13, 2021, 10:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,928
Gold Stars: 356
I could see why you might say that or the player himself might think that, but hopefully he’ll see this as part of learning his trade as a pro, as it were. He’s still young. For what it’s worth I think he looked a very good player early season and you don’t lose that. Confidence and form dipped it seems, but I’d like to see him restored at CB in a pair with Waterfall. I can see that there is something in the notion that you must perform or you’ll lose your place, but there’s also something to be said for continuity and players being allowed/encouraged to regain their high standards by retaining their place in the team. It’s a difficult managerial balance to strike.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 76
joe56
December 13, 2021, 10:22am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
In my opinion, he’s been our best player this season bar none. Good in the air and tackle and excellent distribution. I think he’ll go a long way in the game, and we’ll feel privileged that he once played for us. I’m at a loss to know why he’s not in the team. I recall that Paul Hurst did complain after one game that the heading of our central defenders was below par, but if that was the case, Towler has paid a heavy price for it. I do hope that Bristol City aren’t planning to take him back in January.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 76
denni266
December 13, 2021, 10:36am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +698
Gold Stars: 132
Its all about defence and stopping the opposition with hurst If he is still here in jan ( i hope not ) watch him bring more defenders in and a rookie striker  when we need neither .We need a quality  no 9 / striker  But we all know that  except hurst, and he wont pay for one in case he needs to get more defenders in
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 76
jamesgtfc
December 13, 2021, 10:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,938
Gold Stars: 190
Our back line and formation isn't why we lost on Saturday. Poor marking from LJL at the free kick is why we lost.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 76
fishboyUTM
December 13, 2021, 10:51am
Table Wine Drinker
We need that striker and if we're going to play three in midfield, we also need a midfielder that passes the ball forwards. We only have Alex Hunt who does that well and who knows if he will stay on? The other lads are quite similar in style. It's criminal we haven't signed that number 9. Hurst knows we need one, why else would the number 9 shirt not be allocated?

His excuses why we haven't brought one in are wearing thin. He's had since May effectively to find that player. I remember a while ago, he said he had a deal lined up for a championship striker but pulled out as the deal wasn't right. It isn't his money, if there was room in the budget he should have brought him in, as I feel his own career may have depended on it. Who cares if he earned more than the other lads? If I was a player, I'd accept the bloke who puts the ball in the back of the net earns more as I can't do it myself, and if the number 9 is successful, I'll be successful as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 76
chaos33
December 13, 2021, 11:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
I think Sam Bell looks a fine player.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 76
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 13, 2021, 11:24am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,824
Gold Stars: 553
Quoted from fishboyUTM

His excuses why we haven't brought one in are wearing thin. He's had since May effectively to find that player. I remember a while ago, he said he had a deal lined up for a championship striker but pulled out as the deal wasn't right. It isn't his money, if there was room in the budget he should have brought him in, as I feel his own career may have depended on it. Who cares if he earned more than the other lads? If I was a player, I'd accept the bloke who puts the ball in the back of the net earns more as I can't do it myself, and if the number 9 is successful, I'll be successful as well.

You do realise that virtually every club in the country is looking for that ‘magic number nine’? The FA don’t breed a supply of strikers at St George’s Park and keep them penned up like battery hens, waiting for a fifth tier team to click their fingers and order a goal machine. It’s not Championship Manager.

I know many of us were disappointed that Tshimanga didn’t sign as it looks like he was the one (particularly with a certain element of hindsight). Although his scoring record at Boreham Wood last year was only marginally better than LJL’s 2014/15 season (albeit in a much weaker Boreham Wood team that finished 14th).

If you look through the top scorers lists in the NL and NLN, there isn’t much to get excited about other than Tshimanga. Cheek scores goals but would he have come? I don’t know.

Poojah has circulated lists of L2 strikers available on more than one occasion this season and the contents of the lists were complete dross.

We are probably reliant on another young loan, such as Sam Bell, but it’s not easy to find goalscorers who aren’t liabilities when you haven’t got possession. I know Tshimanga didn’t do much on Saturday but at least he did press. He’s more than a ‘Ross Hannah’ on many counts.

A bigger question would be whether Tshimanga would have scored as many goals for Town within Hurst’s system. Strikers have prospered under Hurst (Bogle, Amond) but I don’t think Tshimanga would be on a goal-a-game in our team presently, due to supply (and some would argue tactics).  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 76
fishboyUTM
December 13, 2021, 11:29am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
I think Sam Bell looks a fine player.

He does look a good tidy player, but he isn't ours.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 76
December 13, 2021, 11:35am
Brandy Drinker
I haven’t watched every match (sorry Noche) but hasn’t Towler’s loss of form affected the whole team? Towler’s recovery speed meant we could play a higher line.

Now we have the problem that Pearson and Waterfall will naturally defend deeper, which drags our stodgy, Hunt-less midfield even deeper with them. You’re then left with a gaping McAtee absent void between the defensive unit and the forward line.

Our squad wasn’t as good as many thought after the Bromsgrove match and, although on a very poor run, we are not as bad as current results. Fine margins as Mr Stockwood would say.

Tshimanga would help because he is quick and fit. But we would still suffer the same supply problems.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 76
ska face
December 13, 2021, 11:49am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,607
Gold Stars: 840
Hurst has a history of dropping decent players after minor infringements - Amond copped it after missing a header away at Altrincham in 15/16 - but persevering with some of the more limited ones. Not sure if he thinks it will spur them on?

Either way, Towler’s been head & shoulders above anyone but McAtee this year so to have him dropped after Aldershot (played alongside Revan & Khouri down the left), then brought back in on the left side of a 3 with Clifton in front of him is really unfair on the lad.

He’s a yard ahead of most upstairs and quick across the ground for someone of his height. All the tinkering & píssing about at the back can’t be helping.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 76
joe56
December 13, 2021, 11:51am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
I haven’t watched every match (sorry Noche) but hasn’t Towler’s loss of form affected the whole team? Towler’s recovery speed meant we could play a higher line.

Now we have the problem that Pearson and Waterfall will naturally defend deeper, which drags our stodgy, Hunt-less midfield even deeper with them. You’re then left with a gaping McAtee absent void between the defensive unit and the forward line.

Our squad wasn’t as good as many thought after the Bromsgrove match and, although on a very poor run, we are not as bad as current results. Fine margins as Mr Stockwood would say.

Tshimanga would help because he is quick and fit. But we would still suffer the same supply problems.

But has he actually had a loss of form? Admittedly, I’ve missed a couple of matches lately, but he’s continued to look pretty good to me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 76
December 13, 2021, 11:57am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from joe56

But has he actually had a loss of form? Admittedly, I’ve missed a couple of matches lately, but he’s continued to look pretty good to me

Maybe in Hurst’s eyes he has.

Towler was poor at LB against Dag&Red but that was understandable. He is young and inexperienced too so I wasn’t throwing the Towler under the bus.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 76
fishboyUTM
December 13, 2021, 12:08pm
Table Wine Drinker

Maybe in Hurst’s eyes he has.

Towler was poor at LB against Dag&Red but that was understandable. He is young and inexperienced too so I wasn’t throwing the Towler under the bus.

Okay, Hurst sees players train every day and knows their attitudes. But not selecting Revan was madness, from the outside looking in. Revan will surely go back in January. Was a right game for us on the train / bus getting to and from Dagenham that day and his selections were bizaare.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 76
pontoonlew
December 13, 2021, 12:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,978
Gold Stars: 171
If you have a memory of any sort you should know that Paul Hurst has a proud track record of dropping some of our best players for the strangest reasons. He’d happily see a poorer player in place if they’ll ‘work hard’.

It’s happened plenty of times before and will happen (to our detriment) plenty of times again
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 76
Hagrid
December 13, 2021, 12:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,374
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Our back line and formation isn't why we lost on Saturday. Poor marking from LJL at the free kick is why we lost.

shocking from lennie

But wtf was he doing marking him, wheres the centre backs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 76
Ipswin
December 13, 2021, 12:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Efete Waterfall Towler Crookes please asap

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 76
Hagrid
December 13, 2021, 12:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

absolutely
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 76
TownSNAFU5
December 13, 2021, 12:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,871
Gold Stars: 42
Towler has been excellent in home games at CB.   I have not been to any away games.  However, I
understand that he had one poor game away (at CB).  He is not suited to be a LB even if he has played there for Bristol City.

He offers something different at CB:   Pace, recovery tackles and allowing a higher defensive line.
He was an integral part of our excellent start to the season.

For whatever reason, he is not currently a first choice CB.  We don’t see him in training or are aware of any background factors so can only speculate.  He is one of the key players missing though whilst we are losing a lot of matches.

A similar position exists with Bapaga.  Driving into the box, winning penalties, scoring, taking players on.  An exciting player to watch.  Ok, the odd bad game (along with many other players).  He has also fallen out of favour.  Another player that was part of our success early season.

With Sousa also losing form or injured, we need someone who can take players on (Bapaga).  Especially with McAtee out for 6 weeks or so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 76
ska face
December 13, 2021, 12:59pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,607
Gold Stars: 840
6 weeks? He’ll be back for Boxing Day.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 76
December 13, 2021, 1:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

shocking from lennie

But wtf was he doing marking him, wheres the centre backs

Probably marking their centre backs and taller players like most teams too (unless you’re going the zonal route).

That’s not trying to excuse LJL’s brain fade by not ever being goal side of Tshimanga by the way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 76
quebec38
December 13, 2021, 1:08pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,575
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from jamesgtfc

And if Pearson or Waterfall had got above their man in the first place then the ball never would have reached Thsimanga.
———-
Strange how Towler has gone from first or second choice to fourth without doing a lot wrong. Shame he wasn’t marking their big man on the free kick because I can’t think of a time he’s lost out on a header this season at home. I thought DLK was ok as well but Towler uses the ball much better than him too.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 76
Les Brechin
December 13, 2021, 1:09pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,700
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from ska face
6 weeks? He’ll be back for Boxing Day.

Just what I was thinking. Unless he's got some injury everyone's not aware of yet?

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 76
Ruston AT
December 13, 2021, 1:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Approval: +432
Gold Stars: 10

I thought the three CB's did well, my biggest concern was Luke Waterfall taking illegal throw in's in the second half. PH please instruct LW how to take a throw in......both feet on the ground please.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 76
arryarryarry
December 13, 2021, 1:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I would still like to know why LJL was marking one of the most dangerous strikers in this league.

Still excrement defending from the centre-halves for me.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 76
December 13, 2021, 1:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

I would still like to know why LJL was marking one of the most dangerous strikers in this league.

Still excrement defending from the centre-halves for me.

If the internet is to be believed, Tshimanga is a generous 5’11”.

This is the same height as McAtee. Had McAtee been playing, their tall CBs wouldn’t have been marking McAtee would they? They would have been marking Pearson and Waterfall.

LJL is experienced, has played at a much higher level and has also played deeper roles at his previous clubs. There’s nothing wrong with LJL marking Tshimanga. He just didn’t do it very well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 76
arryarryarry
December 13, 2021, 2:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116

If the internet is to be believed, Tshimanga is a generous 5’11”.

This is the same height as McAtee. Had McAtee been playing, their tall CBs wouldn’t have been marking McAtee would they? They would have been marking Pearson and Waterfall.

LJL is experienced, has played at a much higher level and has also played deeper roles at his previous clubs. There’s nothing wrong with LJL marking Tshimanga. He just didn’t do it very well.

Now I know you only come on here to take the urine. LJL has never been good at heading the ball no matter where he is on the pitch.

You should take your head out of your bottom and watch the goal again, Efete as in la la land and ball watching and Pearson and Waterfall both challenged their player for the first header and failed.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 76
jamesgtfc
December 13, 2021, 2:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Ruston AT

I thought the three CB's did well, my biggest concern was Luke Waterfall taking illegal throw in's in the second half. PH please instruct LW how to take a throw in......both feet on the ground please.

I can't recall many throw ins on Saturday that were either taken near where the ball went out or properly.

Every single one of Waterfalls throws in the second half were foul throws.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 76
mimma
December 13, 2021, 2:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,566
Gold Stars: 78
Towler probably won't be here in January so Hurst is trying to get the team that will be here to play. Same with Bopaga.

Chesterfield never once played it out from the back, the keeper just launched it every time he got the ball. Hurst would have known this, so picked the centre halves to cope with the long balls down the middle. It nearly worked but it only takes that one time they get lucky, which is exactly what happened.

Both teams set out not to loose, but it only takes that one chance, and inTshimanga they had the one player to break the deadlock. I be interested to see how they play if he is out for a while and what difference it will make to them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 76
December 13, 2021, 2:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Now I know you only come on here to take the urine. LJL has never been good at heading the ball no matter where he is on the pitch.

You should take your head out of your bottom and watch the goal again, Efete as in la la land and ball watching and Pearson and Waterfall both challenged their player for the first header and failed.

I don’t know why you think it’s taking the urine to repeat basic football knowledge.

Every team in our division at the weekend would have asked their best headers of the ball (usually the CBs) to mark the opponents’ biggest aerial threat (again, usually the CBs) at a set-piece.

LJL is usually pretty good defensively. He’s no Drogba but he’s usually reliable in his own box (Yes, I did say ‘own’).  

You can blame Hurst for many things but asking LJL to mark Tshimanga at a set-piece isn’t one of them.

Watch Man City - Leeds tomorrow night. At a set-piece, Leeds will be zonal, but Ayling and Llorente will still be covering the space that Laporte and Dias will be entering. They won’t be marking Foden, Sterling or Jesus.

Get your facts right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 76
Madeleymariner
December 13, 2021, 2:16pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,051
Gold Stars: 49
In the end but for about 6 players our squad is below average. We played with 3 cds against 1 up front on Sat and still left our best defender out. We  still lost. Shocking tactics/formation from Hurst, slowly heading towards the Hurst out camp.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 76
Les Brechin
December 13, 2021, 2:42pm

Quoted from jamesgtfc

I can't recall many throw ins on Saturday that were either taken near where the ball went out or properly.

I've mentioned this before but just about every team in every division has someone with a long throw who can get the ball into the box if close enough, we don't seem to have anyone with this capability.

Not saying it would solve all our problems but it's a decent thing to have in your armoury, especially late on if you're chasing the game.

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 76
jamesgtfc
December 13, 2021, 2:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

I've mentioned this before but just about every team in every division has someone with a long throw who can get the ball into the box if close enough, we don't seem to have anyone with this capability.

Not saying it would solve all our problems but it's a decent thing to have in your armoury, especially late on if you're chasing the game.

I've said this many times before and it attracts red crosses but I agree with you.

It makes defenders think twice about putting the ball out for a throw or corner. That indecision causes mistakes but the long throw also helps you get the ball a bit further up the pitch when you have a defensive throw.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 76
rancido
December 13, 2021, 2:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,560
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from fishboyUTM

So he played three similar warhorse types in a back three against the leaders. Not surprised we played the 'percentage' balls (which means whacking the ball to nobody) when we have the divisions best centre back IMO available to us. At least he didn't play him at left back this time.

If I was Towler, I'd be packing my bags and heading back to Bristol.

If you read PH statement about Towler then you would know that he has played that position at Bristol. PH checked with Bristol about their thoughts on him playing there and he consulted with Towler himself. In that context then it wasn't just PH's opinion but the player and his parent club.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 76
rancido
December 13, 2021, 3:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mimma
Towler probably won't be here in January so Hurst is trying to get the team that will be here to play. Same with Bopaga.

Chesterfield never once played it out from the back, the keeper just launched it every time he got the ball. Hurst would have known this, so picked the centre halves to cope with the long balls down the middle. It nearly worked but it only takes that one time they get lucky, which is exactly what happened.

Both teams set out not to loose, but it only takes that one chance, and inTshimanga they had the one player to break the deadlock. I be interested to see how they play if he is out for a while and what difference it will make to them.

That is one of the problems of gearing up and depending on loan players when there is a good chance they could be recalled. Towler, for example, could have played every game thus far, got MOTM every game and come January Bristol decide to recall him to be part of their 1st team squad. Where does that leave us? I think it puts us in a vulnerable position when we depend on short term loans.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 76
TownSNAFU5
December 13, 2021, 3:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,871
Gold Stars: 42
To clarify:

McAtee out for 6 weeks? I did not say that he would be out for 6 weeks, looking to the future.

My post was about what has changed and was has gone wrong with the team.  This is nearly all in the past.  McAtee was injured was about a month and is now out for 3 games. He is therefore missing from the team for a total of 6 weeks.   And by god we miss him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 76
Maringer
December 13, 2021, 4:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,469
Gold Stars: 185
The thing to remember about the goal is that you can't always win every header. If the ball into the box is accurate enough, you're going to lose one or two of them, much as our opponents did earlier in the season when Waterfall and Efete scored from corners. The thing we failed to do on this occasion was stop the division's top scorer having a completely free shot just a handful of yards out! Not seen the replay, but if LJL was marking him, it's his error. If the ball falls to a player and you can't get near enough, then fair enough, but he was in acres of space.

I'll give the highlights a miss as I don't want to see how Crookes failed to equalise again!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 76
chaos33
December 13, 2021, 4:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Madeleymariner
In the end but for about 6 players our squad is below average. We played with 3 cds against 1 up front on Sat and still left our best defender out. We  still lost. Shocking tactics/formation from Hurst, slowly heading towards the Hurst out camp.

I think that’s an overstatement. Care to name the players in our squad who are ‘below average’ for this division?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 76
Mayaman
December 13, 2021, 4:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,396
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from rancido

That is one of the problems of gearing up and depending on loan players when there is a good chance they could be recalled. Towler, for example, could have played every game thus far, got MOTM every game and come January Bristol decide to recall him to be part of their 1st team squad. Where does that leave us? I think it puts us in a vulnerable position when we depend on short term loans.

Where does that leave us?  A few more points on the board maybe?  If he goes, he goes, we have to cross the bridge when we come to it.  Otherwise, why have short term loans in the first place?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 76
rancido
December 13, 2021, 4:29pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mayaman

Where does that leave us?  A few more points on the board maybe?  If he goes, he goes, we have to cross the bridge when we come to it.  Otherwise, why have short term loans in the first place?

Short term loans are for cover, fill a position when you have a long term injury and get game time with a squad. Crossing the bridge when we get to it is a very short-sighted view. At least with long term loans ie season long then you can build around that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 76
smokey111
December 13, 2021, 4:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +3,350
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from rancido

Short term loans are for cover, fill a position when you have a long term injury and get game time with a squad. Crossing the bridge when we get to it is a very short-sighted view. At least with long term loans ie season long then you can build around that.

Which have recall/termination clauses anyway.  These are designed to protect all 3 parties. Complementing your squad with a few loans of promising players from L1/Championship is not out of the ordinary. There are a few sticks to beat Hurst with, but this isn't one.

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 76
Son of Cod
December 13, 2021, 4:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Ipswin

I'd quite like to see Efete tried in a more advanced role personally, as he's often one of our best attacking outlets and while he's solid enough at the back playing him at RB means Sears is on the bench.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 76
Maringer
December 13, 2021, 4:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Can't see Efete doing anything in a more advanced role. When he goes forward, he's usually pretty decent but he's hardly one to be bombing up and down the line all the time. My main criticism of him is that he doesn't get forward enough and I think Hurst has said the same in interviews. With the new winger we've signed and Scannell finally making an appearance, Bapaga and Sousa presumably available before long, I don't think we're so lacking in wide players that we need to bung a full-back upfield.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 76
RobDef1
December 13, 2021, 4:39pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,115
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Maringer
The thing to remember about the goal is that you can't always win every header. If the ball into the box is accurate enough, you're going to lose one or two of them, much as our opponents did earlier in the season when Waterfall and Efete scored from corners. The thing we failed to do on this occasion was stop the division's top scorer having a completely free shot just a handful of yards out! Not seen the replay, but if LJL was marking him, it's his error. If the ball falls to a player and you can't get near enough, then fair enough, but he was in acres of space.

I'll give the highlights a miss as I don't want to see how Crookes failed to equalise again!

Having watched the replay, Crookes (who otherwise had a decent game IMO) failed to equalise for us because he went for a right footed tap in with his left foot. I don't think Tshimanga would have scored that if he'd gone with his left foot, never mind Crookes. Professional footballers really should be 2-footed enough to bag that chance IMO

Codhead, socialist, recovered addict.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 76
rancido
December 13, 2021, 4:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from smokey111

Which have recall/termination clauses anyway.  These are designed to protect all 3 parties. Complementing your squad with a few loans of promising players from L1/Championship is not out of the ordinary. There are a few sticks to beat Hurst with, but this isn't one.

I'm not having a go at Hurst, just the possibility of over reliance of short term loans leading to problems. I like Towler and think he has a great future. The problem is that if he is recalled in January then who replaces him? We could bring in a similar player but then you have the problem of getting him to build a playing relationship with his fellow centre backs. It's not the use of short term loan players per se that I have an issue with, it is an over reliance on them as an integral part of the team.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 76
Les Brechin
December 13, 2021, 4:46pm

Quoted from RobDef1

Having watched the replay, Crookes (who otherwise had a decent game IMO) failed to equalise for us because he went for a right footed tap in with his left foot. I don't think Tshimanga would have scored that if he'd gone with his left foot, never mind Crookes. Professional footballers really should be 2-footed enough to bag that chance IMO

Haven't watched the highlights but we said at the time  if he's just let it hit him he would probably have scored!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 76
RobDef1
December 13, 2021, 4:48pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,115
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Les Brechin

Haven't watched the highlights but we said at the time  if he's just let it hit him he would probably have scored!

Agreed, he seems to attempt to change his whole body shape to accommodate getting his left onto it, absolutely no need.

Codhead, socialist, recovered addict.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 76
toontown
December 13, 2021, 10:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,267
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from jamesgtfc

it wasnt just waterfall, their throws were all foul throws too with the back foot in the air - really stood out as noticeable. the referee was real dross
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 76
Spidey
December 14, 2021, 12:10am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +378
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Ruston AT

Ha, I guy sat next to me in the upper Findus on Saturday mentioned this!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 76
chaos33
December 14, 2021, 3:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Madeleymariner

I’m still waiting for you to name all those players in our squad who are ‘below average’ for this division….

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 76
fishboyUTM
December 14, 2021, 8:31am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Yes, I think so. A reset of a kind and a clean slate. Get back to what we were doing well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 76
mariner91
December 14, 2021, 11:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,585
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from Ipswin

Yep, there is no coincidence that this coincided with our good run.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 76
Son of Cod
December 14, 2021, 12:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Maringer
Can't see Efete doing anything in a more advanced role. When he goes forward, he's usually pretty decent but he's hardly one to be bombing up and down the line all the time. My main criticism of him is that he doesn't get forward enough and I think Hurst has said the same in interviews. With the new winger we've signed and Scannell finally making an appearance, Bapaga and Sousa presumably available before long, I don't think we're so lacking in wide players that we need to bung a full-back upfield.

We all know Scannell will be injured before long and Bapaga, I'm not sure what he's done but he's seemingly been frozen out of the starting lineup for now - last start was at Wealdstone I believe.

I missed that quote from Hurst about Efete not getting forward enough, when was that? I wasn't at the Chesterfield match but at both Solihull and Dagenham he was probably the only player across both matches that consistently looked to run at their full back, so much so that he was flat out ignoring Sousa at Solihull.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 76
Rodley Mariner
December 14, 2021, 12:16pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Agree Efete was by far our biggest threat at Solihull.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 76
Hagrid
December 14, 2021, 12:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod

We all know Scannell will be injured before long and Bapaga, I'm not sure what he's done but he's seemingly been frozen out of the starting lineup for now - last start was at Wealdstone I believe.

I missed that quote from Hurst about Efete not getting forward enough, when was that? I wasn't at the Chesterfield match but at both Solihull and Dagenham he was probably the only player across both matches that consistently looked to run at their full back, so much so that he was flat out ignoring Sousa at Solihull.

there was an inference on twitter that bapaga was in sears car the night he was caught Drink driving
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 76
GhostDan
December 14, 2021, 2:21pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
The rumour mill seems to explode whenever we lose, I've heard some brilliant ones in the last week or so;

McAtee was driving when Sears got caught and they switched seats as McAtee is on 9 points. (95% likely codswallop but quite adventurous)

Doig has basically alienated all the players with his attitude, hence the drop in form.  (Slightly more believable but not entirely convinced it's Doig attitude that stops the players hitting a cow's bottom with a banjo)

Bogle was begging to come but we turned him down because his attitude is horrendous. Apparently headed for Bromley in January. (Could easily be true)

Funny how you never really hear anything when we're doing well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 76
pen penfras
December 14, 2021, 4:34pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -130
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from GhostDan
The rumour mill seems to explode whenever we lose, I've heard some brilliant ones in the last week or so;

McAtee was driving when Sears got caught and they switched seats as McAtee is on 9 points. (95% likely codswallop but quite adventurous)

Doig has basically alienated all the players with his attitude, hence the drop in form.  (Slightly more believable but not entirely convinced it's Doig attitude that stops the players hitting a cow's bottom with a banjo)

Bogle was begging to come but we turned him down because his attitude is horrendous. Apparently headed for Bromley in January. (Could easily be true)

I've heard and did last time he was here that Doig is a problem. Which seems very odd when Hurst takes him everywhere
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 76
Ipswin
December 14, 2021, 4:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from GhostDan

Doig has basically alienated all the players with his attitude,  

Well he certainly did at Ipswich

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 76
Hagrid
December 14, 2021, 4:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

I've heard and did last time he was here that Doig is a problem. Which seems very odd when Hurst takes him everywhere

well he cant have been that much of an issue, we flipping went up and the players said they were happiest under PH.

cant be as much of a problem as your John offering Amond 50 quid more a week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 76
moosey_club
December 14, 2021, 7:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,238
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from GhostDan

Macca with his pockets full in a supermarket??

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 76
Northbank Mariner
December 14, 2021, 7:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from moosey_club

Macca with his pockets full in a supermarket??

Is that really true?..I heard this on Saturday and still can't believe it's real .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 76
forza ivano
December 14, 2021, 7:50pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,148
Gold Stars: 265
Feck me, more players mentioned as being around that night after Yeovil - what was Sears driving that night, a feckin minibus?

PS Bapaga was dogshite at wealdstone, and hadn't been much better in the previous game i saw him.
Suspect he's too weak and doesn't work hard enough for Hurst's tastes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 76
Maringer
December 14, 2021, 7:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Bapaga started slowly, hit a great run of form, got sent off, somewhat unfortunately, and has never looked anything like since then. I suspect he needs to try and play himself back into some form but not easy to do with the team struggling so much and he obviously hasn't impressed during training. He's only a young and relatively inexperienced player still. Not all of them are going to turn out to be gems.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 76
chaos33
December 14, 2021, 9:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
What are these championship and premier league clubs thinking of when they sign and contract these sh1t players eh?!?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 76
aldi_01
December 14, 2021, 9:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The amount of people I’ve heard were in the car when Sears got nicked he must be moonlighting for Peter Sheffield…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 76
chaos33
December 14, 2021, 9:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Bapaga started slowly, hit a great run of form, got sent off, somewhat unfortunately, and has never looked anything like since then. I suspect he needs to try and play himself back into some form but not easy to do with the team struggling so much and he obviously hasn't impressed during training. He's only a young and relatively inexperienced player still. Not all of them are going to turn out to be gems.

He can’t play himself back into form if:

He isn’t selected
Fans get on his back/write him off

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 76
kevikov
December 16, 2021, 3:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +836
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from GhostDan

Top end of the Bentley scale these. 🤣

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 76
lee65
December 16, 2021, 5:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,482
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from aldi_01
The amount of people I’ve heard were in the car when Sears got nicked he must be moonlighting for Peter Sheffield…

Maybe he could help us to “park us bus” for 90 mins next Tuesday?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 76
ginnywings
December 16, 2021, 9:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from kevikov

Top end of the Bentley scale these. 🤣

Sears was driving a Bentley?

How much are we paying him?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 76
promotion plaice
December 16, 2021, 10:21pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,026
Gold Stars: 194
Quoted from ginnywings

Under the last regime they turned up on a moped  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 76
DB
December 17, 2021, 1:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,006
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from promotion plaice

Under the last regime they turned up on a moped  

With pedals, couldn't afford an engine in it.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 76
Garth
December 17, 2021, 7:17pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from DB

With pedals, couldn't afford an engine in it.

Couldn't afford pedals, had to scoot it all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 76
jamesgtfc
December 17, 2021, 7:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

I hope the police didn't scratch his £80k Bentley when they confiscated it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 76
mimma
December 17, 2021, 7:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,566
Gold Stars: 78
£80,000 Bentley? That's just to upgrade the stereo system on a Bentley
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 76
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Towler

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.