jamesgtfc
December 13, 2021, 2:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,815
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from Ruston AT

I thought the three CB's did well, my biggest concern was Luke Waterfall taking illegal throw in's in the second half. PH please instruct LW how to take a throw in......both feet on the ground please.

I can't recall many throw ins on Saturday that were either taken near where the ball went out or properly.

Every single one of Waterfalls throws in the second half were foul throws.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 76
mimma
December 13, 2021, 2:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 78
Towler probably won't be here in January so Hurst is trying to get the team that will be here to play. Same with Bopaga.

Chesterfield never once played it out from the back, the keeper just launched it every time he got the ball. Hurst would have known this, so picked the centre halves to cope with the long balls down the middle. It nearly worked but it only takes that one time they get lucky, which is exactly what happened.

Both teams set out not to loose, but it only takes that one chance, and inTshimanga they had the one player to break the deadlock. I be interested to see how they play if he is out for a while and what difference it will make to them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 76
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 13, 2021, 2:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,784
Gold Stars: 547
Quoted from arryarryarry

Now I know you only come on here to take the urine. LJL has never been good at heading the ball no matter where he is on the pitch.

You should take your head out of your bottom and watch the goal again, Efete as in la la land and ball watching and Pearson and Waterfall both challenged their player for the first header and failed.

I don’t know why you think it’s taking the urine to repeat basic football knowledge.

Every team in our division at the weekend would have asked their best headers of the ball (usually the CBs) to mark the opponents’ biggest aerial threat (again, usually the CBs) at a set-piece.

LJL is usually pretty good defensively. He’s no Drogba but he’s usually reliable in his own box (Yes, I did say ‘own’).  

You can blame Hurst for many things but asking LJL to mark Tshimanga at a set-piece isn’t one of them.

Watch Man City - Leeds tomorrow night. At a set-piece, Leeds will be zonal, but Ayling and Llorente will still be covering the space that Laporte and Dias will be entering. They won’t be marking Foden, Sterling or Jesus.

Get your facts right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 76
Madeleymariner
December 13, 2021, 2:16pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
In the end but for about 6 players our squad is below average. We played with 3 cds against 1 up front on Sat and still left our best defender out. We  still lost. Shocking tactics/formation from Hurst, slowly heading towards the Hurst out camp.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 76
Les Brechin
December 13, 2021, 2:42pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I can't recall many throw ins on Saturday that were either taken near where the ball went out or properly.

Every single one of Waterfalls throws in the second half were foul throws.

I've mentioned this before but just about every team in every division has someone with a long throw who can get the ball into the box if close enough, we don't seem to have anyone with this capability.

Not saying it would solve all our problems but it's a decent thing to have in your armoury, especially late on if you're chasing the game.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 76
jamesgtfc
December 13, 2021, 2:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,815
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from Les Brechin

I've mentioned this before but just about every team in every division has someone with a long throw who can get the ball into the box if close enough, we don't seem to have anyone with this capability.

Not saying it would solve all our problems but it's a decent thing to have in your armoury, especially late on if you're chasing the game.

I've said this many times before and it attracts red crosses but I agree with you.

It makes defenders think twice about putting the ball out for a throw or corner. That indecision causes mistakes but the long throw also helps you get the ball a bit further up the pitch when you have a defensive throw.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 76
rancido
December 13, 2021, 2:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,445
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from fishboyUTM

So he played three similar warhorse types in a back three against the leaders. Not surprised we played the 'percentage' balls (which means whacking the ball to nobody) when we have the divisions best centre back IMO available to us. At least he didn't play him at left back this time.

If I was Towler, I'd be packing my bags and heading back to Bristol.

If you read PH statement about Towler then you would know that he has played that position at Bristol. PH checked with Bristol about their thoughts on him playing there and he consulted with Towler himself. In that context then it wasn't just PH's opinion but the player and his parent club.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 76
rancido
December 13, 2021, 3:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,445
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from mimma
Towler probably won't be here in January so Hurst is trying to get the team that will be here to play. Same with Bopaga.

Chesterfield never once played it out from the back, the keeper just launched it every time he got the ball. Hurst would have known this, so picked the centre halves to cope with the long balls down the middle. It nearly worked but it only takes that one time they get lucky, which is exactly what happened.

Both teams set out not to loose, but it only takes that one chance, and inTshimanga they had the one player to break the deadlock. I be interested to see how they play if he is out for a while and what difference it will make to them.

That is one of the problems of gearing up and depending on loan players when there is a good chance they could be recalled. Towler, for example, could have played every game thus far, got MOTM every game and come January Bristol decide to recall him to be part of their 1st team squad. Where does that leave us? I think it puts us in a vulnerable position when we depend on short term loans.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 76
TownSNAFU5
December 13, 2021, 3:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
To clarify:

McAtee out for 6 weeks? I did not say that he would be out for 6 weeks, looking to the future.

My post was about what has changed and was has gone wrong with the team.  This is nearly all in the past.  McAtee was injured was about a month and is now out for 3 games. He is therefore missing from the team for a total of 6 weeks.   And by god we miss him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 76
Maringer
December 13, 2021, 4:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
The thing to remember about the goal is that you can't always win every header. If the ball into the box is accurate enough, you're going to lose one or two of them, much as our opponents did earlier in the season when Waterfall and Efete scored from corners. The thing we failed to do on this occasion was stop the division's top scorer having a completely free shot just a handful of yards out! Not seen the replay, but if LJL was marking him, it's his error. If the ball falls to a player and you can't get near enough, then fair enough, but he was in acres of space.

I'll give the highlights a miss as I don't want to see how Crookes failed to equalise again!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Towler

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.