Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 13, 2021, 11:24am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,805
Gold Stars: 552
Quoted from fishboyUTM

His excuses why we haven't brought one in are wearing thin. He's had since May effectively to find that player. I remember a while ago, he said he had a deal lined up for a championship striker but pulled out as the deal wasn't right. It isn't his money, if there was room in the budget he should have brought him in, as I feel his own career may have depended on it. Who cares if he earned more than the other lads? If I was a player, I'd accept the bloke who puts the ball in the back of the net earns more as I can't do it myself, and if the number 9 is successful, I'll be successful as well.

You do realise that virtually every club in the country is looking for that ‘magic number nine’? The FA don’t breed a supply of strikers at St George’s Park and keep them penned up like battery hens, waiting for a fifth tier team to click their fingers and order a goal machine. It’s not Championship Manager.

I know many of us were disappointed that Tshimanga didn’t sign as it looks like he was the one (particularly with a certain element of hindsight). Although his scoring record at Boreham Wood last year was only marginally better than LJL’s 2014/15 season (albeit in a much weaker Boreham Wood team that finished 14th).

If you look through the top scorers lists in the NL and NLN, there isn’t much to get excited about other than Tshimanga. Cheek scores goals but would he have come? I don’t know.

Poojah has circulated lists of L2 strikers available on more than one occasion this season and the contents of the lists were complete dross.

We are probably reliant on another young loan, such as Sam Bell, but it’s not easy to find goalscorers who aren’t liabilities when you haven’t got possession. I know Tshimanga didn’t do much on Saturday but at least he did press. He’s more than a ‘Ross Hannah’ on many counts.

A bigger question would be whether Tshimanga would have scored as many goals for Town within Hurst’s system. Strikers have prospered under Hurst (Bogle, Amond) but I don’t think Tshimanga would be on a goal-a-game in our team presently, due to supply (and some would argue tactics).  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 76
fishboyUTM
December 13, 2021, 11:29am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from chaos33
I think Sam Bell looks a fine player.

He does look a good tidy player, but he isn't ours.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 76
December 13, 2021, 11:35am
Brandy Drinker
I haven’t watched every match (sorry Noche) but hasn’t Towler’s loss of form affected the whole team? Towler’s recovery speed meant we could play a higher line.

Now we have the problem that Pearson and Waterfall will naturally defend deeper, which drags our stodgy, Hunt-less midfield even deeper with them. You’re then left with a gaping McAtee absent void between the defensive unit and the forward line.

Our squad wasn’t as good as many thought after the Bromsgrove match and, although on a very poor run, we are not as bad as current results. Fine margins as Mr Stockwood would say.

Tshimanga would help because he is quick and fit. But we would still suffer the same supply problems.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 76
ska face
December 13, 2021, 11:49am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,525
Gold Stars: 831
Hurst has a history of dropping decent players after minor infringements - Amond copped it after missing a header away at Altrincham in 15/16 - but persevering with some of the more limited ones. Not sure if he thinks it will spur them on?

Either way, Towler’s been head & shoulders above anyone but McAtee this year so to have him dropped after Aldershot (played alongside Revan & Khouri down the left), then brought back in on the left side of a 3 with Clifton in front of him is really unfair on the lad.

He’s a yard ahead of most upstairs and quick across the ground for someone of his height. All the tinkering & píssing about at the back can’t be helping.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 76
joe56
December 13, 2021, 11:51am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
I haven’t watched every match (sorry Noche) but hasn’t Towler’s loss of form affected the whole team? Towler’s recovery speed meant we could play a higher line.

Now we have the problem that Pearson and Waterfall will naturally defend deeper, which drags our stodgy, Hunt-less midfield even deeper with them. You’re then left with a gaping McAtee absent void between the defensive unit and the forward line.

Our squad wasn’t as good as many thought after the Bromsgrove match and, although on a very poor run, we are not as bad as current results. Fine margins as Mr Stockwood would say.

Tshimanga would help because he is quick and fit. But we would still suffer the same supply problems.

But has he actually had a loss of form? Admittedly, I’ve missed a couple of matches lately, but he’s continued to look pretty good to me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 76
December 13, 2021, 11:57am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from joe56

But has he actually had a loss of form? Admittedly, I’ve missed a couple of matches lately, but he’s continued to look pretty good to me

Maybe in Hurst’s eyes he has.

Towler was poor at LB against Dag&Red but that was understandable. He is young and inexperienced too so I wasn’t throwing the Towler under the bus.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 76
fishboyUTM
December 13, 2021, 12:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40

Maybe in Hurst’s eyes he has.

Towler was poor at LB against Dag&Red but that was understandable. He is young and inexperienced too so I wasn’t throwing the Towler under the bus.

Okay, Hurst sees players train every day and knows their attitudes. But not selecting Revan was madness, from the outside looking in. Revan will surely go back in January. Was a right game for us on the train / bus getting to and from Dagenham that day and his selections were bizaare.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 76
pontoonlew
December 13, 2021, 12:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,826
Gold Stars: 167
If you have a memory of any sort you should know that Paul Hurst has a proud track record of dropping some of our best players for the strangest reasons. He’d happily see a poorer player in place if they’ll ‘work hard’.

It’s happened plenty of times before and will happen (to our detriment) plenty of times again
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 76
Hagrid
December 13, 2021, 12:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,344
Gold Stars: 527
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Our back line and formation isn't why we lost on Saturday. Poor marking from LJL at the free kick is why we lost.

shocking from lennie

But wtf was he doing marking him, wheres the centre backs
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 76
Ipswin
December 13, 2021, 12:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Efete Waterfall Towler Crookes please asap

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Towler

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.