Northbank Mariner
December 11, 2021, 7:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from RonMariner
Chesterfield took the plunge in splashing out on Tshimanga and I am thinking they are most probably going up because of it.  He is a goal machine at this level and in tight games turns one point into three. And when they come to sell him they will make a small fortune. It was a shrewd investment. One we were not bold enough to take on.

All is not lost for us. We are sill in the hunt for a play off spot. If we can recapture the form from earlier in the season there is no reason why we can't make it into the top seven which, let's face it, most of us would have taken at the start of the season.    

Nice post Ron but going on current form we've no chance of recreating that form, Hurst won't let it happen. The players have been shackled and he's gone negative.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 120
psgmariner
December 11, 2021, 7:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Ipswin

For his sake I hope he makes a better job of hanging onto his job, three or four more defeats down the line. Grow a pair for felicitations sake, you really have not nowt to lose any more

This is the thing I don’t get. We (rightly or wrongly) gave hurst another crack at management after his frankly disastrous spells elsewhere and (whether he can be held responsible or not) he signs a brand new team and takes us in to the relegation zone and then down. We (rightly or wrongly) stick with him and he must know this season is his last shot at being a professional footballer manager but despite a competitive budget, record attendances and a feel good factor not seen for decades he seems to be aiming not to lose home games rather than winning them.

Private Message
Reply: 111 - 120
Northbank Mariner
December 11, 2021, 7:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from psgmariner

This is the thing I don’t get. We (rightly or wrongly) gave hurst another crack at management after his frankly disastrous spells elsewhere and (whether he can be held responsible or not) he signs a brand new team and takes us in to the relegation zone and then down. We (rightly or wrongly) stick with him and he must know this season is his last shot at being a professional footballer manager but despite a competitive budget, record attendances and a feel good factor not seen for decades he seems to be aiming not to lose home games rather than winning them.

Let's face facts, he's built a new squad of definitive better quality than last year that set off like a house on fire then somehow he's hit the brakes and reverted to type, that don't lose at all costs type.
We all know we have players that can play decent football, can score goals and I have no doubt, if we'd have played that Chesterfield team 10 games ago we'd have won.
Hurst has cocked things right up, he had a chance to put all his recent managerial wrongs right, but he's failing and failing bad imo now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 120
heppy88
December 11, 2021, 7:45pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from psgmariner

Can’t disagree with any of that.
Stockwood stated in the Telegraph this week he new Hurst was the right man for the job as he shared the same values and vision. Not the best manager to get the best results, but because he shared the same values and vision. If it was a footballing decision Stockwood would have looked at Hursts recent form at Ipswich and Scunthorpe and politely declined. This is what concerns me about Stockwood. He’s all about the big sky stuff. As a simpleton I’m just about balls in the back of the net.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 120
easypeersy
December 11, 2021, 7:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
Close the door on your way out Hurst!
Take your negativity to another poor unsuspecting club.
I am all bored out by you!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 120
Maringer
December 11, 2021, 8:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,409
Gold Stars: 184
Having a go at LJL seems a bit unnecessary as we barely got the ball out of our half after he came on as they successfully pinned us back following the goal. Though there is no doubt that Taylor is a superior player, it might have been a game where LJL could have achieved a bit more due to his bulk - their defenders might not have been able to get away with bullying and manhandling him as they did with Taylor.

The key difference between the sides for me today was the relative lack of pace of our team. A tight match where our defence won most of the balls into them, but they were able to pick up a lot more of the second balls due to the extra pace in midfield. Neither Clifton or Fox is quick (though not slow, either), but Coke is a little lacking. No real pace in our defence either. Most of their midfielders and forwards were quicker than they men they were facing. Pace is something I thought we were lacking at the start of the season (always seems to have been the case with Hurst's teams!) and I think we saw the difference it can make today. Noticeable that the gangly lad who came on for them and won the free-kick which led to the goal was pretty quick which I expect is why Longe-King went into him so clumsily.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 120
KingstonMariner
December 11, 2021, 8:40pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from denni266

What good spells ..  we lost again  and again and again ,, nice beer tho

God you can be dense. Good spell at the start of the season.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 120
KingstonMariner
December 11, 2021, 8:44pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Oly1987
First game I've been able to get to since Notts County. Felt like it was an even game and we held Chesterfield for large parts and created a few chances. Missing the technical ability of Hunt and Mcatee today as a lot of balls were long/high balls. We had a really good spell where Chesterfield apparently ran out of ideas and we were playing good football on the deck and got some chances. Ref was flipping awful and gave Chesterfield everything and us very little. Tshimanga had a very quiet game up until his goal. Heard the booing at the end of the game and dont agree with it. Yes its a bad run but we have to back the lads to turn it around. UTMM

That was certainly the impression that the commentary team gave.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 120
Maringer
December 11, 2021, 8:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,409
Gold Stars: 184
He let them get away with a lot of manhandling of players, that's for sure. Taylor getting dragged around everywhere and he missed loads of pushes and shoves off the ball. On the other hand, they fell over. A lot. I'm guessing the free-kick count reflects this?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 120
denni266
December 11, 2021, 9:07pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +700
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from KingstonMariner

God you can be dense. Good spell at the start of the season.

Well am not that dense  i can see Hurst is a failure  and a waste of good money  and i have seen some crap since 1962
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 120
13 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chesterfield match thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.