pizzzza
December 8, 2021, 10:44am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,700
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from HerveJosse

I have watched the video of the 1939 highlights on you tube and it appears to me the players are wearing short sleeves though the pictures are not entirely clear .The shirt photo as advertised on eBay appears to be long sleeved.Does anybody agree or disagree?

I did think the same on first glance but on the match pic shown on the ebay ad he might just have his shirt sleeves rolled up to the elbow, but yeah not clear at all.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 50
HerveJosse
December 8, 2021, 10:49am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,184
Gold Stars: 139
Quoted from pizzzza

I did think the same on first glance but on the match pic shown on the ebay ad he might just have his shirt sleeves rolled up to the elbow, but yeah not clear at all.

In the Pathetic highlight video on you tube it looks like all the players had short sleeves or sleeves rolled up which makes me doubtful .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 50
HerveJosse
December 8, 2021, 10:50am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

In the Pathetic highlight video on you tube it looks like all the players had short sleeves or sleeves rolled up which makes me doubtful .

Pathe certainly not pathetic . Spell check !,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 50
Poojah
December 8, 2021, 11:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,415
Gold Stars: 1,498
Quoted from HerveJosse

Pathe certainly not pathetic . Spell check !,

Pah, it’s not even 720p.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 50
Doctor Sanchez
December 8, 2021, 11:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +19 / -6
Approval: +638
Gold Stars: 1
Short sleeved shirts didn't become common until the 1950's.  If you look at pictures of various teams in the 1930s (including Town) they all have long sleeves but the majority of players rolled the sleeves up.  Sometimes they're rolled up inside the sleeve giving the appearance of a short-sleeved shirt.

Serial thread killer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 50
Poojah
December 8, 2021, 11:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,415
Gold Stars: 1,498
Incidentally, I came across this video a little while ago. Colourised footage of a game between Great Britain and Denmark at the 1912 Olympics, some 109 years ago and a couple of years before the First World War.

Sometimes, when you watch old footage on Pathe, it appears as if the matches bare little resemblance to the game we play today. But with the addition of colour and an adjusted frame rate, it just seems so much more recognisable as football. Maybe just me, but I found it mildly interesting.

https://youtu.be/Zu7ulGcgtaQ

The ground in the video is still recognisable today.

[img]https://stockholm.diamondleague.com/fileadmin/IDL_Stockholm/_processed_/c/b/csm_stadion_beab2791c6.jpg[/img]

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 50
HerveJosse
December 8, 2021, 11:44am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Doctor Sanchez
Short sleeved shirts didn't become common until the 1950's.  If you look at pictures of various teams in the 1930s (including Town) they all have long sleeves but the majority of players rolled the sleeves up.  Sometimes they're rolled up inside the sleeve giving the appearance of a short-sleeved shirt.

After studying some screenshots of the Pathe video there is one shot
of our number 10 in our goalmouth where one sleeve is long so I go along with they all rolled their sleeves up theory. Stripe pattern also matches while team photos for other years in 1930’s don’t so anything to suggest it is not genuine
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 50
ginnywings
December 8, 2021, 11:58am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
The club already have some old framed shirts on display in the newly refurbished boardroom. Particularly a set of home International ones.

This shirt would look good in there among those.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 50
promotion plaice
December 8, 2021, 12:11pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,993
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from ginnywings
The club already have some old framed shirts on display in the newly refurbished boardroom. Particularly a set of home International ones.

This shirt would look good in there among those.

Trouble is how many fans get to see in the boardroom, would be nice for them to be displayed for us all to see.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 50
BobbyCummingsTackle
December 8, 2021, 12:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,181
Gold Stars: 290
Quoted from Poojah
Incidentally, I came across this video a little while ago. Colourised footage of a game between Great Britain and Denmark at the 1912 Olympics, some 109 years ago and a couple of years before the First World War.

Sometimes, when you watch old footage on Pathe, it appears as if the matches bare little resemblance to the game we play today. But with the addition of colour and an adjusted frame rate, it just seems so much more recognisable as football. Maybe just me, but I found it mildly interesting.

https://youtu.be/Zu7ulGcgtaQ

The ground in the video is still recognisable today.

[img]https://stockholm.diamondleague.com/fileadmin/IDL_Stockholm/_processed_/c/b/csm_stadion_beab2791c6.jpg[/img]

A thing of beauty, thanks for sharing.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 1939 town shirt

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.