3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Norseman
December 6, 2021, 11:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +275
Gold Stars: 48
I will start by saying Hurst is not my cup of tea. But he is our manager and the losing streak will be hurting him just as much as us . My main concern though is the way some on here are already having a go at the new owners .7 months into what they admit is a long term project ,we lose a few games and everything has gone from togetherness to bickering .Really who would buy a football club to see some of the remarks on here and social media .They are Grimsby supporters who are not here to fleece the club ,doing their best to give us some pride back .I think we could all be a little more gracious and get behind them ,Hurst and the team .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner Timsky
December 7, 2021, 10:45am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Its easy as footy fans to forget / not see the bigger picture and we only focus on what's right in front of us - which right now is bad run of form - what is it now 1 win in the last 6 league games?

Overall though I am sure most of us town fans will be happy with where we are right now - we have lost a third of our games which isn't brilliant but its not catastrophic

We all knew at the beginning of this season we would be in for a ride and well that's exactly what it's turning out to be! Just enjoy it and yes get behind the lads - we got a long way to go yet

If we can go back to how we started the season - I forget the run we started on now - think we lost 1 from our opening 12 ? I could be wrong  -  but if we can do that again we will be in a good place

Two BIG months ahead which will be bumpy but just hang on and enjoy the ride!!

Up The Mariners

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 20
wiggers
December 7, 2021, 10:52am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 11
Buck stops with Hurst as far as I’m concerned. Owners have been brilliant since they came in.
Hurst has full control of the playing side of things and for whatever reason is consistently tinkering around with selection and formation. Can’t we just go back to basics play people in correct positions and play our strongest 11 whenever possible.
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 20
HertsGTFC
December 7, 2021, 1:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from wiggers
Buck stops with Hurst as far as I’m concerned. Owners have been brilliant since they came in.
Hurst has full control of the playing side of things and for whatever reason is consistently tinkering around with selection and formation. Can’t we just go back to basics play people in correct positions and play our strongest 11 whenever possible.
UTM

Made the point on another thread "buck stops with Hurst" and the players for the poor run of results, not JS & AP. Personally I think the Manager and players will turn this season around to some form of decent finish and they have my full support in doing so.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 20
BobbyCummingsTackle
December 7, 2021, 1:50pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,193
Gold Stars: 291
It was very noticeable that many of the Hurst out brigade on Saturday were as thick as pig sh*t and we shouldn't listen to a tiny vocal minority who can't write their own name with a chunky crayon.

I AM NOT saying everyone who wants Hurst out is as thick as pig sh*t, just pointing out that the vocal minority on Saturday were over represented by individuals who prefer their words short, monosyllabic and not necessarily formed into coherent sentences.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 20
MuddyWaters
December 7, 2021, 2:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
It was very noticeable that many of the Hurst out brigade on Saturday where as thick as pig sh*t and we shouldn't listen to a tiny vocal minority who can't write their own name with a chunky crayon.

I AM NOT saying everyone who wants Hurst out is as thick as pig sh*t, just pointing out that the vocal minority on Saturday were over represented by individuals who prefer their words short, monosyllabic and not necessarily formed into coherent sentences.

It's not as simple as Hurst in/Hurst out though.

I don't see it as irrational to be concerned about 6 defeats in 7, stories of players being bored in the area, drink driving etc. What happens if this run continues - the fixture list is daunting and if we don't turn things round pretty quickly then the early season form becomes a distant memory and gates start to tumble.

I go to watch GTFC out of a deep-seated love for the club going back to 1968 and, sorry to be blunt about it, I'm more bothered about GTFC winning football matches than I am about scotch eggs - although I'm sure they're very nice. It's all very well having free drinks vouchers (unused because we've never been able to get in the Fanzone) and 10% off Steels in September but to me, matchday means turning up, supporting the team and wanting the club to be back in the EFL. Football hasn't changed since last season, it's still about putting a team on the pitch to win a game.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 20
aldi_01
December 7, 2021, 2:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I’m just pleased we didn’t have the start I’d expected us to have…Christ, there’d be folk stringing themselves up…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
kafunanapar140909
December 7, 2021, 2:32pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50
I don’t think that the “Hurst-out brigade” are necessarily thickos, but it is also obvious that there is a cohort of pre-existing anti-Hurst fans who have been waiting for exactly this sort of run to come along, so they can put their heads up above the parapet and have a good old moan whilst using a run of one win in six league games as a shield against criticism.

More generally, it’s unsurprising that there has been such a strong emotional response to this run. We’ve gone from last year’s spectacular sh*t show, the May stuff, Holloway, Fenty ultimatums and just awful, awful football, to the sweet release of the takeover, the tangible changes being implemented throughout the club, some feelings of genuine pride about the place and then an on-field start which was as spectacularly good as last year was bad. I’d like to think that, usually, our reaction wouldn’t be as simplistic as “win = Hurst is a flipping genius! / lose = Hurst should be sacked!” We’re smarter than that and should be able to deconstruct this run to appreciate the shortcomings (Towler at LB/Macca’s struggles/generally leaking goals, etc.) as well as the good, both in this run (i.e. the performance against Notts County) and the wider picture (our amazing support/attendances, the culture shift at the club, etc.).

This summer was the draw-a-line-under-recent-history, clean-slating fresh start that we have needed for a long time. JS & AP chose Hurst to rebuild the club from the bottom (knowing that would likely be from the fifth tier), and we are still right at the very beginning of that process. We brought in FIFTEEN players this summer – you cannot possibly expect a summer of such (much needed) turnover to result in the perfect squad. That we had the start we did was frankly remarkable. What we need at the club is a period (i.e. seasons, in the plural) of stability, which means toughing out tricky periods and disregarding the temptations of short-termism.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
BobbyCummingsTackle
December 7, 2021, 4:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,193
Gold Stars: 291
Quoted from kafunanapar140909
I don’t think that the “Hurst-out brigade” are necessarily thickos, but it is also obvious that there is a cohort of pre-existing anti-Hurst fans who have been waiting for exactly this sort of run to come along, so they can put their heads up above the parapet and have a good old moan whilst using a run of one win in six league games as a shield against criticism.

More generally, it’s unsurprising that there has been such a strong emotional response to this run. We’ve gone from last year’s spectacular sh*t show, the May stuff, Holloway, Fenty ultimatums and just awful, awful football, to the sweet release of the takeover, the tangible changes being implemented throughout the club, some feelings of genuine pride about the place and then an on-field start which was as spectacularly good as last year was bad. I’d like to think that, usually, our reaction wouldn’t be as simplistic as “win = Hurst is a flipping genius! / lose = Hurst should be sacked!” We’re smarter than that and should be able to deconstruct this run to appreciate the shortcomings (Towler at LB/Macca’s struggles/generally leaking goals, etc.) as well as the good, both in this run (i.e. the performance against Notts County) and the wider picture (our amazing support/attendances, the culture shift at the club, etc.).

This summer was the draw-a-line-under-recent-history, clean-slating fresh start that we have needed for a long time. JS & AP chose Hurst to rebuild the club from the bottom (knowing that would likely be from the fifth tier), and we are still right at the very beginning of that process. We brought in FIFTEEN players this summer – you cannot possibly expect a summer of such (much needed) turnover to result in the perfect squad. That we had the start we did was frankly remarkable. What we need at the club is a period (i.e. seasons, in the plural) of stability, which means toughing out tricky periods and disregarding the temptations of short-termism.

I think your comment is more eloquent than mine. It was clear on Saturday that a small group were drawing a simple line of 'win = Hurst is a genius and lose = Hurst should be sacked'. That group also clearly appeared to be saying (and I'm quoting from one of the neanderthals near me) '6 losses out of 7 = Hurst is a c*nt'.

And I agree totally that a proportion of our supporters are anti Hurst and this is a great opportunity to stick the boot in. But they are entitled to their view and they are currently a minority.

I am neither pro or anti Hurst but 6 losses out of 7 is a concern, especially when our start is considered. And there will come a time when Petit and Stockwood have to look at his position, based on results. But the timing of that should not be driven by a minority of idiots who just happen to shout louder than the rest of us.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 20
Ipswin
December 7, 2021, 5:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89

It was very noticeable that many of the Hurst out brigade on Saturday where as thick as pig sh*t and we shouldn't listen to a tiny vocal minority who can't write their own name with a chunky crayon.

Classic!

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Together

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.