2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
quebec38
December 6, 2021, 9:32am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,549
Gold Stars: 44
Ok I have watched back every goal we’ve conceded in the league this season and here are my thoughts on each. Football is a game of opinions so why not have yours if you disagree with me. Just wondered if we could spot a pattern.
Obviously this doesn’t cover chances that were missed so it doesn’t tell the full picture. Also not the best because the defenders are in for a tough time but I guess that’s their job.

Barnet (H) 4-3
Pearson could have been stronger in the tackle on the edge of the box. Man gets away from him before passing to unmarked (Waterfall) forward to pass in to the net.

Bapaga gives up chasing his man back down the left who passes in to the box to the forward with his back to goal. Waterfall is between him and the goal yet he’s still well turned and the ball is put in the net.

Long throw to the near post where the ball is won in the air by a Barnet head. Flicked toward the back post where Efete and Waterfall have switched off and let a man drift in for an easy goal on the line.

Torquay (A) 1-3
Free kick fired at Mckeown who makes a mess of it and pushes in to the net.

Wrexham (H) 3-1

After a clear foul on Coke, players stopped expecting the whistle to blow. When it didn’t, ball played between the centre halves, in front of Waterfall who let his man through to slot the ball in.

Maidenhead (A) 1-1
Cross in to the box to the free man left by Waterfall.

Bromley (A) 3-1

Player carries ball left to right past Efete who doesn’t get a foot in. Hits a deflected shot past McKeown who has no chance.

Difficult to see who gave an easy ball away in the build-up but ball then fired past keeper from quite a wide angle who maybe could have done better?

Long ranger in to the far post. Keeper maybe not covered in glory again but conditions were treacherous.

Altrincham (A) 2-3

Players still packed in the box after a corner. Ball passed out to man on the edge of the box who curls a shot in to the near post. Fox nearest man not switched on to getting in the block.

Indecisive and weak goalkeeping from a corner let’s the ball drop on the line for a tap-in.

Wealdstone (A)  1-0
Penalty after a Waterfall foul in the box

Notts Co (H) 0-1
Crookes caught out of position as they counter. Coke doesn’t have the legs to cover despite only joining as a sub. Wide player lashes a cross at Mckeown near post who parries the ball to nowhere on the edge of the 6 yard box. Drops to their player to put in the back of the net.

Aldershot (A) 2-0
Free kick pumped in to the box. Waterfall well beaten in the air as the ball is headed to the far post to be scrambled in.

Throw in to the near post. Revan gets his head on it but only enough to flick it to a man at the back post who is unmarked (Efete could be tighter) to pass it in to the net.

Solihull (A) 2-0
Cross in from the right along the ground to the edge of the box where a runner breaks forward and slots it past the keeper. Fox is the nearest man but making no attempt to track the runner.

From their box to the back of our net in 15 seconds. Ball knocked forward as we have committed men forward. Their player carries and carries the ball as Clifton backs off. Man cuts inside and then hits a pretty tame shot past McKeown.

I have actually been a big fan of Waterfall this season but when seeing it written down like this, it looks like he’s had quite a bad start.
I think it’s also fair to say Crocombe deserves a go in goal although he did ship three on Saturday. Those highlights are still unavailable btw.
Private Message
Garth
December 6, 2021, 10:31am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Proves nothing other than Waterfall is the guy who is usually in the thick of situations that others have stood and ball watched, Waterfall and Macca are still decent defenders for this league but there problem is  unlike other team members crucial and scapegoat material
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
chaos33
December 6, 2021, 10:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Highlights are up and just watched them. These things are evident to me:

We barely win any second balls.
Clifton and Fox have faded badly and this is really affecting us in many aspects offensively and defensively.
There was a clear foul not given prior to Mcatee’s challenge. I felt this could have been a yellow not a red on another day. Possibly the Dagenham overreaction swayed the ref. He is going to be a huge miss for these really tough games up to Christmas as he looked our best player yet again. We are way too easy to get at down both flanks and all our defenders looked slow to react, close down or challenge. Many of our clearances and headers were poor. The quality of our delivery into the box, especially from set pieces was generally pretty low grade although JMD did produce some great crosses. The third goal was very clearly offside. No question. Too frequently there are big gaps between the midfielders and Ryan Taylor and not much link up play.
Neither of our full backs got forward enough. The one time Efete did it produced a goal but didn’t see that happen again and nothing really down the left.
Gone is the sparkle and confidence and off the ball movement has deteriorated. The confidence aspect is probably understandable.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
Mayaman
December 6, 2021, 10:33am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,259
Gold Stars: 71
Can you do the same with the goals we scored and see what we need to repeat to get some wins?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
HertsGTFC
December 6, 2021, 10:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from quebec38
Ok I have watched back every goal we’ve conceded in the league this season and here are my thoughts on each. Football is a game of opinions so why not have yours if you disagree with me. Just wondered if we could spot a pattern.
Obviously this doesn’t cover chances that were missed so it doesn’t tell the full picture. Also not the best because the defenders are in for a tough time but I guess that’s their job.

Barnet (H) 4-3
Pearson could have been stronger in the tackle on the edge of the box. Man gets away from him before passing to unmarked (Waterfall) forward to pass in to the net.

Bapaga gives up chasing his man back down the left who passes in to the box to the forward with his back to goal. Waterfall is between him and the goal yet he’s still well turned and the ball is put in the net.

Long throw to the near post where the ball is won in the air by a Barnet head. Flicked toward the back post where Efete and Waterfall have switched off and let a man drift in for an easy goal on the line.

Torquay (A) 1-3
Free kick fired at Mckeown who makes a mess of it and pushes in to the net.

Wrexham (H) 3-1

After a clear foul on Coke, players stopped expecting the whistle to blow. When it didn’t, ball played between the centre halves, in front of Waterfall who let his man through to slot the ball in.

Maidenhead (A) 1-1
Cross in to the box to the free man left by Waterfall.

Bromley (A) 3-1

Player carries ball left to right past Efete who doesn’t get a foot in. Hits a deflected shot past McKeown who has no chance.

Difficult to see who gave an easy ball away in the build-up but ball then fired past keeper from quite a wide angle who maybe could have done better?

Long ranger in to the far post. Keeper maybe not covered in glory again but conditions were treacherous.

Altrincham (A) 2-3

Players still packed in the box after a corner. Ball passed out to man on the edge of the box who curls a shot in to the near post. Fox nearest man not switched on to getting in the block.

Indecisive and weak goalkeeping from a corner let’s the ball drop on the line for a tap-in.

Wealdstone (A)  1-0
Penalty after a Waterfall foul in the box

Notts Co (H) 0-1
Crookes caught out of position as they counter. Coke doesn’t have the legs to cover despite only joining as a sub. Wide player lashes a cross at Mckeown near post who parries the ball to nowhere on the edge of the 6 yard box. Drops to their player to put in the back of the net.

Aldershot (A) 2-0
Free kick pumped in to the box. Waterfall well beaten in the air as the ball is headed to the far post to be scrambled in.

Throw in to the near post. Revan gets his head on it but only enough to flick it to a man at the back post who is unmarked (Efete could be tighter) to pass it in to the net.

Solihull (A) 2-0
Cross in from the right along the ground to the edge of the box where a runner breaks forward and slots it past the keeper. Fox is the nearest man but making no attempt to track the runner.

From their box to the back of our net in 15 seconds. Ball knocked forward as we have committed men forward. Their player carries and carries the ball as Clifton backs off. Man cuts inside and then hits a pretty tame shot past McKeown.

I have actually been a big fan of Waterfall this season but when seeing it written down like this, it looks like he’s had quite a bad start.
I think it’s also fair to say Crocombe deserves a go in goal although he did ship three on Saturday. Those highlights are still unavailable btw.

Interesting stuff thanks for taking the time, I've missed a few games this season due to the amount of evening games versus work commitments but maybe it's just me from what I've seen I can't recall Macca being too busy in most games or at least compared to previous seasons.

I also think Waterfall has been decent and like any CB benefits from a consistent partner in there with him. For what it's worth I think we have struggled to retain possession in this bad spell and the energy we showed without the ball has gone missing.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
GollyGTFC
December 6, 2021, 11:17am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Waterfall has made the 2nd most interceptions in the National League so far this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 16
FishOutOfWater
December 6, 2021, 11:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from chaos33
Highlights are up and just watched them. These things are evident to me:

We barely win any second balls.
Clifton and Fox have faded badly and this is really affecting us in many aspects offensively and defensively.
There was a clear foul not given prior to Mcatee’s challenge. I felt this could have been a yellow not a red on another day. Possibly the Dagenham overreaction swayed the ref. He is going to be a huge miss for these really tough games up to Christmas as he looked our best player yet again. We are way too easy to get at down both flanks and all our defenders looked slow to react, close down or challenge. Many of our clearances and headers were poor. The quality of our delivery into the box, especially from set pieces was generally pretty low grade although JMD did produce some great crosses. The third goal was very clearly offside. No question. Too frequently there are big gaps between the midfielders and Ryan Taylor and not much link up play.
Neither of our full backs got forward enough. The one time Efete did it produced a goal but didn’t see that happen again and nothing really down the left.
Gone is the sparkle and confidence and off the ball movement has deteriorated. The confidence aspect is probably understandable.

I wonder if Dagenham will be charged with not controlling their players, like Town at Newport last season, when our players got on the ref's case to "influence" his decision to give a red card
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 16
Chrisblor
December 6, 2021, 11:43am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,678
Gold Stars: 229
The 3rd goal on Saturday wasn't offside - if you advance the video frame by frame it comes off Waterfall's head.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
cardiffmariner
December 6, 2021, 11:47am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,293
Gold Stars: 23
Anyone have a link to the highlights? Ta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
ginnywings
December 6, 2021, 11:52am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from cardiffmariner
Anyone have a link to the highlights? Ta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb6Nxf9NtP4&ab_channel=DaggersTV
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
fishcake63
December 6, 2021, 1:23pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.52
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,235
Gold Stars: 62
Waterfalls been our best defender by a mile this season , most teams now attack our left hand side as they can see a weakness
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 16
cardiffmariner
December 6, 2021, 1:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,293
Gold Stars: 23
Thanks ginny.

Interestingly, based on the highlights, we had by far the more and better chances up until their second went in. Waterfall will be annoyed he didn't put one of those two headers away.

Our first goal was an excellent move from one end of the pitch to the other.

We are clearly struggling to develop good partnerships between defence and midfield on both sides of the pitch which is harming us both defensively and offensively. Until we get an improvement here I suspect we'll continue to struggle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
FishOutOfWater
December 6, 2021, 1:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Chrisblor
The 3rd goal on Saturday wasn't offside - if you advance the video frame by frame it comes off Waterfall's head.

If it definitely came off Waterfall then maybe he should have told Hurst this....before he risked getting in to any trouble with the FA with his post-match interview with JT
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 16
chaos33
December 6, 2021, 2:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Don’t think he said anything that was likely to provoke that

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
moosey_club
December 6, 2021, 8:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Well from those highlights certain things are obvious...

Can't argue with the red, looked like one foot at the ball one foot at the player.

They crossed a ball far  better than we did.

The third goal...looked like a Waterfall head for me so he couldn't be offside.

Our marking under pressure is awful, Efete ball watches so much, we have plenty of players back but they are just that, back. Not sticking with players, 2/3/4 charging after the ball at times like school kids.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
Fillipe Noche
December 6, 2021, 8:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Too much time on your hands
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 6, 2021, 8:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,784
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from moosey_club
Well from those highlights certain things are obvious...

Can't argue with the red, looked like one foot at the ball one foot at the player.

They crossed a ball far  better than we did.

The third goal...looked like a Waterfall head for me so he couldn't be offside.

Our marking under pressure is awful, Efete ball watches so much, we have plenty of players back but they are just that, back. Not sticking with players, 2/3/4 charging after the ball at times like school kids.

We had eight players in the penalty area for Dagenham’s second goal yet they still let the ball get passed into Akanbi on the penalty spot. Then our defenders crash into each like a comedy sketch.

The third goal. You can sometimes get away with one defender ball watching but not two. I’m not sure why Towler didn’t anticipate play, shift across and cover. I know Towler is young, but as a CB playing LB he should be even more aware of tucking in and providing cover to his CBs.

The first goal was a good header. The xG must have been pretty low as Rance was quite a way out. Possibly harsh but Crocombe might have been a bit flat footed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Every goal this season, crudely analysed

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.