Poojah
December 7, 2021, 5:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,475
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from chaos33
I still think, player for player, we are as good as anybody and better than most and we have great depth. I worry about the absence of McAtee, but we need individuals to step up now and reclaim that start of season form. At home, there should be nobody who can turn us over. It’s about the correct selection first and foremost and then individual players raising their game once again. I wouldn’t fear Chesterfield. We should be thinking …’they won’t fancy coming to BP and getting something’. Winners mindset. Nobody to fear.

A winners mindset is the problem right now though, isn’t it? My confidence in our ability to win games has been absolutely shot and I can’t for the life of me see where the next 3 points (or even point) are going to come from. I’m only sat in the stands watching, so if that’s me what on earth is going on in the heads of the manager and players right now?

If there’s a straw to be clutched at anywhere, it’s probably that Hurst and his teams generally do well with their backs against the wall. The toxicity after that Braintree home let seemed to lead to a “we’ll show those cúnts” type attitude which worked to our advantage in the second leg.

The Braintree comparison isn’t entirely fair in the sense that our support for the most part this season has been absolutely top notch and the bulk of the concern and criticism that I’ve seen recently has been fair and balanced. That said, I don’t think it’s an exaggeration that most Town fans expect us to lose to Chesterfield on Saturday, so it will be interesting to see how the players react to that. Despite our recent spate of defeats, I don’t think the general expectation ahead of each game was for us to lose, so this will be a new experience for them.

Football’s a funny old game, even if I do still anticipate a comfortable Chesterfield victory as things stand.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 104
essexexile
December 7, 2021, 5:29pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +186
Gold Stars: 1
Chesterfield were solid all over the park against Salford left and right front and back wish I could say that about us last week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 104
mariner91
December 7, 2021, 8:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,627
Gold Stars: 260
Real shame to see quite a few tickets are still for sale in a top of the table clash.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 104
Northbank Mariner
December 7, 2021, 8:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from mariner91
Real shame to see quite a few tickets are still for sale in a top of the table clash.

It was always going to dip at some point, think right on top of Xmas and recent poor performances have had a bearing on the take up, only positive is chesterfield have sold out so should still be an half decent crowd and atmosphere.
Big performance and result needed to keep the floating fans interested
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 104
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 8, 2021, 6:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,824
Gold Stars: 553
I know we’re not allowed to talk about the Premier League on here but there’s an awful lot of Covid cases flying around in the top flight in the last few days.

There’s been an outbreak at Spurs and it appears there are a lot at Leicester and Brighton.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we have some matches affected in the next few weeks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 104
aldi_01
December 8, 2021, 6:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

It was always going to dip at some point, think right on top of Xmas and recent poor performances have had a bearing on the take up, only positive is chesterfield have sold out so should still be an half decent crowd and atmosphere.
Big performance and result needed to keep the floating fans interested

This…the time of year me the bad run have coincided which will no doubt impact the crowds which is predictable and probably not a shock…not to mention a fair few home games in a short space of time…and a massive away cup game to think about…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 104
pontoonlew
December 9, 2021, 9:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,996
Quoted from Poojah

A winners mindset is the problem right now though, isn’t it? My confidence in our ability to win games has been absolutely shot and I can’t for the life of me see where the next 3 points (or even point) are going to come from. I’m only sat in the stands watching, so if that’s me what on earth is going on in the heads of the manager and players right now?

If there’s a straw to be clutched at anywhere, it’s probably that Hurst and his teams generally do well with their backs against the wall. The toxicity after that Braintree home let seemed to lead to a “we’ll show those cúnts” type attitude which worked to our advantage in the second leg.

The Braintree comparison isn’t entirely fair in the sense that our support for the most part this season has been absolutely top notch and the bulk of the concern and criticism that I’ve seen recently has been fair and balanced. That said, I don’t think it’s an exaggeration that most Town fans expect us to lose to Chesterfield on Saturday, so it will be interesting to see how the players react to that. Despite our recent spate of defeats, I don’t think the general expectation ahead of each game was for us to lose, so this will be a new experience for them.

Football’s a funny old game, even if I do still anticipate a comfortable Chesterfield victory as things stand.

It was either a ‘we’ll show these girl privates’ or a ‘we don’t have Monkhouse available to slow the game to walking pace and keep us shape’ resulting in us actually having to give it a go and Hurst no doubt having a meltdown.

I know which one I believe and I thank god every day for that injury
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 104
Poojah
December 9, 2021, 10:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,475
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from pontoonlew

It was either a ‘we’ll show these girl privates’ or a ‘we don’t have Monkhouse available to slow the game to walking pace and keep us shape’ resulting in us actually having to give it a go and Hurst no doubt having a meltdown.

I know which one I believe and I thank god every day for that injury

Yeah, who knows, we might still be non-league had that not happened…

*waves at John*

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 104
ska face
December 9, 2021, 10:26am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,640
Gold Stars: 840
Just had a quick look on their board, fúck me they’ve a high opinion of themselves. They’re currently debating how we might try and get the match called off, either leaving the sprinklers on or claiming Covid. They also reckon we hate them & will kick off at every opportunity, and talking about drinking outside of town to avoid a shoeing.

Jesus. Just come & get your 3 points in peace like every fúcker else for the last 20 years, Galatasary V Fenerbache it is not.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 104
pontoonlew
December 9, 2021, 11:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,996
I’m expecting Chesterfield to have a Go Fund Me set up this evening to pay for the players to have a donkey ride & an ice cream each before the game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 104
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chesterfield at home Saturday

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.