8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
December 4, 2021, 11:18pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
I just don't get all these references to happy clappers and accepting mediocrity.

We, as fans, can do nothing about the situation on the pitch, other than support, or don't support, the team.

It's not about accepting mediocrity and applauding failure. No one likes to see their team lose games, especially a run of games, but there are differing views as to what should, or can be done.

We've all witnessed the same sh1te over the same period of time going back years, but IMO (and I'm quite aware other opinions may differ), we can't just keep ripping it up and starting again. Been there, done that.

If however, we lose the next 6 games, then yeah, the Hurst out argument gains more traction.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it doesn't mean that certain of us are happy with the results just because we aren't calling for the head of the manager on a silver platter.  

We were good until recently and now we are bad. We may get good again, or we may not. The beginning of the season had great promise, which for me, buys PH more time.

So to you who aren't accepting of the situation as you keep pointing out- what do you intend to do about it to show your non-acceptance?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 74
MuddyWaters
December 4, 2021, 11:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,881
Gold Stars: 230

Could you not just have sent it as a PM rather than telling the world?

Or do you precede every fart with a four page spread in the London Gazette?

I would but the London Gazette isn’t published at the weekend.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 74
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 4, 2021, 11:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,784
Gold Stars: 547
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I would but the London Gazette isn’t published at the weekend.

So you could have held it in til Monday. 😜
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 74
Maringer
December 4, 2021, 11:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Calling people 'Happy Clappers' is an attempt to sow division, making it an 'Us' versus 'Them' situation. A tactic beloved of trolls.

There I go myself, setting fans and trolls apart. I'm quite happy with that viewpoint.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 74
MuddyWaters
December 4, 2021, 11:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,881
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from ginnywings
I just don't get all these references to happy clappers and accepting mediocrity.

We, as fans, can do nothing about the situation on the pitch, other than support, or don't support, the team.

It's not about accepting mediocrity and applauding failure. No one likes to see their team lose games, especially a run of games, but there are differing views as to what should, or can be done.

We've all witnessed the same sh1te over the same period of time going back years, but IMO (and I'm quite aware other opinions may differ), we can't just keep ripping it up and starting again. Been there, done that.

If however, we lose the next 6 games, then yeah, the Hurst out argument gains more traction.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it doesn't mean that certain of us are happy with the results just because we aren't calling for the head of the manager on a silver platter.  

We were good until recently and now we are bad. We may get good again, or we may not. The beginning of the season had great promise, which for me, buys PH more time.

So to you who aren't accepting of the situation as you keep pointing out- what do you intend to do about it to show your non-acceptance?

Nothing different.

Go to the ground, support the team, hope for the best. Same as I’ve done for 53 years. Sometimes expecting, sometimes hoping.

No one promised a quick fix but hype overtakes hope and becomes expectation. Expectation brings pressure and it seems too much for some.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 74
mariner91
December 4, 2021, 11:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,246
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from barralad
Confidence is clearly shot to pieces. We were on top until the first goal but you could see the players deflate when it went in. Mcatees equaliser was against the run of play but I wouldn't have thought there were many Town fans who didn't think we would go on from there and win the game.
What happened instead was a toothless capitulation. Their second was a good finish but we allowed him to turn and hit it. The third goal coming so soon after the second was the coup de grace.
Mcatee is far and away our best player but his two-footed challenge (surely borne out of frustration) was beyond stupid. Hurst should make an example of him.
Positives? Not many but a wonderful strike from Bell for our second. Crocombe did OK but on several occasions overhit his clearances.
Negatives? If LJL is in the team for his ability to hold the ball up then we need an urgent Plan B..not sure he held the ball once.
Least said about the internal fighting towards the end the better...sad events.

No, you're not allowed to criticise LJL on here or question whether he's actually very effective at the one thing his praisers claim he's good at.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 74
TownSNAFU5
December 4, 2021, 11:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
We have struggled since about the time we had The Fishy forecast of where Town would finish at the end of the season.  We were top at the time.  Rightly or wrongly many fans thought that we would be champions.

Bad karma, defeats, injuries and loss of form etc etc swiftly followed.  Maybe as a Club  we got ahead of ourselves?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 74
DB
December 5, 2021, 3:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,880
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from Chrisblor
Right, just got home, that from start to finish was an utter mess. At the start of the season we had success because we played a high tempo pressing game. There was none of that today - Dagenham ruthlessly exploited our mostly lethargic midfield and won the majority of challenges and second balls all afternoon. Their wingers on both sides were quick, direct and capable of delivering dangerous balls into the box (unlike ours).

It didn't take them long to realise we had a centre half at left back, and inside the first 15 minutes they threatened a few times from our left side with Longe-King and Towler both looking very uncomfortable. Towler was drifting far too central, leaving tons of space for their winger to be played in and run at him. After 20 minutes they finally took advantage of all the space behind Towler by whipping a ball in that their midfielder got his head on and looped over Crocombe. Poor to allow space for the cross and poor again from the centre halves to allow a free header in the middle of the box (a worryingly recurring theme this season - we've conceded a number of goals from similar headers now)

There wasn't a huge amount to report until just before half-time - Dagenham were mostly in control for the rest of the half and we continued to leave massive gaps around our back line for them to attack through. Efete then finally remembered how to play as an overlapping full-back and linked up nicely with Maguire Drew (who was otherwise utterly anonymous) to get in behind their left back. He pulled back a low cross for McAtee who neatly swept it home at the near post, and we had an undeserved 1-1 draw going into the break.

I strongly disagree with the assertion above that there were few town fans who thought we wouldn't go on and win it at that point. At half-time it was blatantly obvious to everyone in the ground that our back line wasn't working at all and something had to change, otherwise Dagenham would continue to scythe through us in the second half. Unfortunately Hurst doesn't make tactical changes or substitutions until the at least the 70th minute, and we started the second half with exactly the same setup.

As the second half started we finally managed to retain possession in midfield a bit more consistently and put together a few decent moves which ultimately didn't amount to much - McAtee beat a man in the box but took too long to get his shot away which made it easy for their keeper to block his effort, and a few minutes later Hunt hit a decent volley from about 20 yards but it was comfortably saved. Shortly afterwards they got their second after they yet again took advantage of all the space we were giving them down the flanks to knock a ball into the box which came to Akanbi. Instead of bothering to close him down we gave him all day to sell a dummy and then fire into the roof of the net - again, nothing Crocombe could have done about that either, was all on the outfielders.

At that stage most of our players went into their shells, switched off and let Balanta run behind onto a through ball for a 1 on 1 which he slotted past Crocombe at his near post. I have no idea if he was offside since we were behind the goal, but i'm not exactly convinced he was. Crocombe could have possibly done better if i'm being critical, thought he was a bit slow off his line (too busy appealing for the offside?) and didn't exactly make it hard for Balanta to convert the chance.

Shortly after that McAtee went flying through their full-back trying to close down a clearance and got sent off. Was it a red card? I have no idea since it was right up the other end of the pitch. No idea what our plan will be for the next 3 matches since he was pretty much the only town player who'd turned up before that happened. Going down to 10 men finally forced Hurst into making some changes and he brought on Bell for the non-existent Maguire-Drew. About 60 seconds later Bell scored with his first touch, firing a loose ball from the edge of the box into the top corner with a lovely finish.

We put a little bit of pressure on them for the next 10 minutes or so, with Hunt finally coming into the game and dictating the tempo in midfield nicely. None of it really amounted to anything, and then for some reason Hurst substituted Taylor for LJL. This substitution killed the match off for us - Taylor hadn't really been in the game at all (nor had he really had any service, or teammates near him to lay it off to when the ball did come to him), but he's always going to be more likely to pop up with a goal than John Lewis. The game pretty much fizzled out from then - the only remaining remarkable event being John Lewis somehow managing to trip over his own feet and give the ball away under no pressure.

All round just a totally dire performance - both from the players, and tactically from Hurst. Far too many players hid away from their responsibilities today - Longe-King, Fox, Hunt, Clifton, Maguire-Drew & Taylor were all well below the required standard. I'm not going to be too harsh on Towler, because even though he also had an awful game he did at least have the excuse he was being played out of position. Efete didn't get forward often enough (the one time he did led to our goal), and McAtee stupidly got himself sent off after looking like the only bright spark in the first half. If we set up and play like that next Saturday Chesterfield will absolutely dismantle us.

Excellent summary, it confirms what I heard from JT on RH. Thank you Chris.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 74
sam gy
December 5, 2021, 9:53am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,386
Gold Stars: 53
Do think we need a bit of rationale re the apparent toxic atmosphere in the ground too. Saw on social media there was a lot of talk about it, asked my mate who was there at the match and he said “a couple of people chanted Hurst Out”.

Not saying there wasn’t handbags or whatever, but social media has a habit of blowing these things out of proportion.

Anyway, not really seen anyone mention the lad, but congrats to Bell for his goal. Perhaps his first professional one? Maybe he is the goalscorer  we need.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 74
chaos33
December 5, 2021, 10:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from ginnywings

Good post mate. What they intend to do is peddle internet based fury and ‘red cross’ the ‘happy clappers’. Your post has 5 of those at this point and I reckon I could name them all!

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.