Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst out   yes out
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 243 Guests

Hurst out   yes out

This thread currently has 29,998 views. Print
32 Pages Prev ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
December 7, 2021, 11:10pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
The other shortsighted thing about those moaning about better and more expensive food and drink is that there is clearly a lot more money being spent in the ground. Not only is it more expensive it is also popular. Ker-ching!!

More money in the long run helps to improve performance. Which is what they say they want!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 270 - 314
MarinerWY
December 8, 2021, 12:00am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,938
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from KingstonMariner
The other shortsighted thing about those moaning about better and more expensive food and drink is that there is clearly a lot more money being spent in the ground. Not only is it more expensive it is also popular. Ker-ching!!

More money in the long run helps to improve performance. Which is what they say they want!

Exactly. Someone said above that they hadn't been able to get into the fanzone. Well when we've been you do have to queue 15mins to get in, as early as 1pm. Cos its full. Full of people spending money at the ground for 2 hours before kick off. Surely can only be a good thing?!
Private Message
Reply: 271 - 314
KingstonMariner
December 8, 2021, 12:05am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Same with the queues for the bogs. Ok that’s not a money spinner but it’s a sign that more money is being spent. The miserablebuggers probably preferred it when there were 2-3000 less people in the ground.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 272 - 314
rancido
December 8, 2021, 10:31am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from KingstonMariner

First of all I don't think it is " shortsighted " to question the affordability of the catering at the club.While I do agree that the more money we take in catering then the the better it is for the club , there is another aspect to this. I have never visited the fan zone but I am led to believe that a pint of beer is £4 and a Scotch egg is also £4. Whilst I accept that  at pub prices £4 a pint is on the high side of local prices, I think £4 for a Scotch egg is very expensive. A total of £8 for a drink and a snack pre-game is beyond my budget and I suspect many others. Ok, so I am a pensioner on a fixed income but I suspect many minimum wage workers would also find it beyond their budget.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 273 - 314
sam gy
December 8, 2021, 11:01am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,387
Gold Stars: 53
Don't want to sound like i'm dismissing your points Rancido, because if people are genuinely getting priced out of eating/drinking at BP then thats obviously not great -  but surely there is a choice to either eat before you enter BP, or choose something different within BP if people are more hard up? There are still stalls that sell the more standard fare aren't there? (correct me if i'm wrong as i don't know for sure, but i think i remember seeing that there is..)

4 quid for a scotch egg sounds expensive on a base level, but it's not exactly a bog standard scotch egg that you'd get off the shelf in Tesco.

I think the whole point about the new catering in the fanzone and BP was to offer a different alternative, something a bit nicer than what you'll usually find at a football match to entice people into spending a bit more inside BP and support local businesses at the same time. It seems to be working but these things do cost a bit more than the mass produced stuff that has been on sale previously.

As i mentioned earlier, the club still has a deal with Molson Coors to provide drinks at a cheaper price..

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 274 - 314
BobbyCummingsTackle
December 8, 2021, 12:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +6,987
Gold Stars: 283
There is a choice. You can choose to buy a scotch egg and a pint for 4 quid or you can choose not to.

I haven't been to BP for some time (I'm an exile) but the last thing I ate in the ground was a cup of tea that looked like and tasted of p*ss and a 'burger' that appeared to made from an old tyre and 2 pieces of polystyrene tiling. Whatever I was charged, it was too much.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 275 - 314
ginnywings
December 8, 2021, 12:08pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from rancido

First of all I don't think it is " shortsighted " to question the affordability of the catering at the club.While I do agree that the more money we take in catering then the the better it is for the club , there is another aspect to this. I have never visited the fan zone but I am led to believe that a pint of beer is £4 and a Scotch egg is also £4. Whilst I accept that  at pub prices £4 a pint is on the high side of local prices, I think £4 for a Scotch egg is very expensive. A total of £8 for a drink and a snack pre-game is beyond my budget and I suspect many others. Ok, so I am a pensioner on a fixed income but I suspect many minimum wage workers would also find it beyond their budget.

You're wrong! The beer is dearer than that.   Think it's £4.50 and one of them is £5.

For context, we got coffee and cake in Starbucks the other day and it was about 14 quid. The cake wouldn't have touched the sides of a 2 year old.

The food selections were top of the list of the fan survey. People wanted more and better choices.

I do however think that the Docks beers are overpriced personally.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 276 - 314
ginnywings
December 8, 2021, 12:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Also, it's not inconceivable to have better facilities, better food and drink and a better team.

It's just quicker to implement the first two, while the third one takes a little longer. I'm sure we will strengthen in Jan and again in the summer. Most teams in this league have been building longer than we have and some have more dosh to chuck at it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 277 - 314
Swansea_Mariner
December 8, 2021, 12:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
A McDonald's or Burger King costs more than £4 so do those gristle burgers you get at most Van's at stadiums/fair grounds/theme parks, fact is prices have gone up in recent months/years.

There was pretty much unanimous condemnation of the food on offer st BP up until this season, now its improved it's too expensive.  WTF do people want out of the food offering?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 278 - 314
Mrbump53
December 8, 2021, 12:29pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +335
Gold Stars: 11
There is no doubt that it can cost you more to eat and drink on match days but the overall question is whether this is value for money and quality. The food I have tried (including the large scotch egg) I feel is of better quality and whilst more expensive seems to me better value for money than what was on offer before. I have also been to other clubs (such as Dagenham last week) where two burgers and two soft drinks didn't give me very much change out of £15 and was not of a high quality. I have also been to higher league clubs and two soft drinks and two chocolate bars were over £10. The improvement in the food being offered seems to be part of the improved atmosphere on matchdays and making it more of an experience for non-regulars who may want to come again. I cannot comment on the alcohol costs as I drive to the ground and so don't drink any alcohol.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 279 - 314
32 Pages Prev ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst out   yes out

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.