Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst out   yes out
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 275 Guests

Hurst out   yes out

This thread currently has 30,386 views. Print
32 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... Next All Recommend Thread
dapperz fun pub
December 5, 2021, 11:10am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I'm not being a male private (unusually for me) when I ask this but what was your expectations this season?

I know it's the managers job to motivate the players but if I have my maths right a win yesterday and a win on Saturday would have seen us with a chance to go back to joint top of the league, if that doesn't motivate players than maybe they need to look at themsleves.  

To have a competitive team with a playing style … we’re rolling over easily and appear to have no playing style plan. My expectation was top 7 minimum we get 6 k gates in level 5 surely that’s a fair ask ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 314
Ipswin
December 5, 2021, 11:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
A classic comment which appeared on a colleagues annual report (not mine I hasten to add) could well be applied to Hurst 'Performs well in moderate company'

Trouble is I want GTFC to be better than 'moderate'

We ain't going up or down under Hurst (he did the latter last year) .

Much will be promised, high-spots will occur, fans will go over the top with their expectations every time we get within touching distance of the top but the manager will always revert to type, making changes and trying to make tactics fit the opposition at the expense of altering what was going well and be stubborn when faced with the fact that it isn't working and substitutions can be made at any time. Same old same old. Lose in the early rounds of the playoffs anyone?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 314
pen penfras
December 5, 2021, 11:15am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from MarinerWY

Are you taking the urine? Genuinely, whatever happens on the pitch we are so much better off with Stockwood and Petit than Fenty.

You are being selective with your examples. I'd say 3 things which are huge examples of how much things have improved:

1. The communication with fans. Open, on various platforms (Humberside, DN35 podcast, at the games, OS)
2. The apprenticeship/training opportunity in data with a job guarantee for ppl from North East Lincs who complete it. Can anyone imagine Fenty doing that?!
3. The exagerrated 'pricey' (its not, its just better quality) food and drinks at games also come with the Family Fanzone, one of the most innovative and enjoyable additions to BP I can remember
4. We're applying to be a b-corp. Statement of intent to make the club more about community and social good.

Fair enough, get disgruntled with Hurst - I disagree but that's fine. But starting to turn on the new owners?! intercourse me, football fans beggar belief at times.

1. Fenty tried to communicate with the fans, more so at first. He didn't have as many means to do so and wasn't good at it, but the intention was the same, at least before it turned.
2. That's great, but not a lot to do with the football club in reality. I think we used to have some IT hub about 15 years ago for developing skills that was barely used.
3. Food is better. Fanzone is nothing to do with the new owners.
4. B-corp is a load of bollox. Even more so when you're offering minimum wage jobs and forcing employees out.

They've done what people on here wanted. Invested money in the infrastructure and it's no surprise that that isn't bringing any success on the field. I think the bright start and claims of "treat the players with respect and they perform for you" type comments got people carried away that new owners and better PR actually makes a real difference. The only thing that talks in short term is money and they're not going to be putting that in. So if things are to change, then people need to keep showing up in numbers and supporting the team so that there's actually some money available to spend on all the things that need doing as well as a decent team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 314
Ipswin
December 5, 2021, 11:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Don't forget you're also in that luck bracket of seeing town being successful, how do you think some of the younger fans feel, all they've known is 20 years of excrement!..

I think having had the pleasure of seeing Lawie Mac, George Kerr, Dave Booth and having the 4-0 Sheff U championship winning match as the last I saw on my season ticket before I moved away makes the current debacle all the worse. The young 'ums haven't had to suffer such a terrible demise!  

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 314
TownSNAFU5
December 5, 2021, 11:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
I thought that JS said in one interview, very early on, that Hurst would be the manager in the long-term.  Timescale never defined but beyond the end of this season would be a reasonable assessment.

Owners can change their minds though.  I suspect that we won’t though.  We will just buggger on.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 314
Fillipe Noche
December 5, 2021, 11:22am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
I’m astounded to hear people discussing this rubbish.

You sack managers when you are at the bottom of the league’s, staring relegation in the face. Not when you have enjoyed an explosive start to the season following a relegation, then had a subsequent poor run, but see still very much in the pack of serious promotion contenders. With an interesting January transfer window just around the corner, with the backing of owners, and a manager that has a good record in the transfer market

Seriously people, come on. Give your heads a wobble and realise we are not in a bad place and that we have to support our manager
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 314
Poojah
December 5, 2021, 11:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,474
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Ipswin

Can you please be a little more specific on the time line element of when the fanzone and catering will get us back into the Football League? Just for the benefit of many on here who are like me old farts who find 'eventually' as possibly a bit too far ahead for us

I’ll be honest, I wasn’t hugely concerned by the prospect of not going straight up this season. We are where we are, largely through the ineptitude of a regime no longer at the club (though importantly, still drawing from it), and like it or not there are at least four clubs with bigger budgets than ourselves, plus several others who went into pre-season with far more established squads.

I never saw this season as promotion or out for Hurst, but this current run of form has to be deeply, deeply concerning. There’s certainly an argument to be made that these last 7 games is the worst patch of form in the club’s history, and that’s going some. Let’s just re-cap for a moment.

- Wealdstone - in the relegation zone, out of form and hampered by injuries to key players
- Notts County - perhaps unlucky, but ultimately failed to score
Kidderminster - National League North
Aldershot - second from bottom and bottom of the form guide having been spanked 5-0 by Wrexham just days before
- Solihull - barely in the game for all but 10 minutes
- Dagenham - horribly out of form and absolutely decimated by injuries

With the exception of Notts County, you could tag any one of those results as ‘unacceptable’ for a club of Town’s stature, but to string six of them together in a little over a month is frankly astonishing and something I didn’t see happening in even my worst nightmares this season.

It’s difficult to see us winning any of our next four, or even taking anything at all, so the prospect of this horrendous run of form getting even worse and then some is staring us right in the face.

I just find it incomprehensible that we have gone from such a brilliant side at the start of the season to looking utterly bereft of confidence and ideas to the point you just cannot see where the next win is coming from.

The idea has been mooted on here that perhaps something has gone on behind the scenes, and the more bleak things get the more realistic this scenario sounds in my head. This is no more than putting 2 and 2 together and maybe getting 5, but our slide correlates almost perfectly with Stockport sacking Rusk. Did Hurst entertain that role?

I don’t know, I honestly don’t. But something is seriously wrong and whilst I don’t condone people getting aggressive or abusive, I can certainly understand where the anger and frustration is coming from.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 314
HertsGTFC
December 5, 2021, 11:28am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

To have a competitive team with a playing style … we’re rolling over easily and appear to have no playing style plan. My expectation was top 7 minimum we get 6 k gates in level 5 surely that’s a fair ask ?

Get it completely and don’t disagree. Surely some of that sits at the door of the players doesn’t it?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 314
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 5, 2021, 11:30am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,824
Gold Stars: 553
I’m still waiting for someone to come up with a credible alternative to Paul Hurst.

If the ‘Hurst Out’ brigade are pinning their hopes on Neil Warnock (!) replacing Hurst then they are going to be very, very disappointed.

If sacking Hurst this month and bringing in another person to build in the January transfer window to get us promoted, then fine, go for it.

However, I strongly suspect that any new manager won’t get us promoted automatically and odds against via the playoffs. So the same people will be on here in April / May / November calling for another manager to be sacked and the cycle just continues with no long-term stability.

I’ll await a sensible suggestion for a replacement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 314
Poojah
December 5, 2021, 11:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,474
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
I’m astounded to hear people discussing this rubbish.

You sack managers when you are at the bottom of the league’s, staring relegation in the face. Not when you have enjoyed an explosive start to the season following a relegation, then had a subsequent poor run, but see still very much in the pack of serious promotion contenders. With an interesting January transfer window just around the corner, with the backing of owners, and a manager that has a good record in the transfer market

Seriously people, come on. Give your heads a wobble and realise we are not in a bad place and that we have to support our manager

I wouldn’t agree with sacking Hurst right now, but our next four games are against Chesterfield, Stockport, Boreham Wood and Halifax. We could conceivably lose all of them, which would leave us with a record of ten defeats in eleven games.

I’m not sure there are many managers anywhere in the world that could sustain that kind of run and retain their job. Even less so when your managing a club at a level well below its natural fighting weight.

It’s not time to panic yet, but it soon will be.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 314
32 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst out   yes out

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.