22 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
It Bites
December 5, 2021, 11:31am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,171
Gold Stars: 259
Buckley in my opinion  is and most probably will remain Grimsby Towns greatest ever manager . Hurst was lucky Andy Monkhouse was injured for the play off final imo .
Private Message
Reply: 200 - 214
Vance Warner
December 5, 2021, 11:40am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,775
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from It Bites
Buckley in my opinion  is and most probably will remain Grimsby Towns greatest ever manager . Hurst was lucky Andy Monkhouse was injured for the play off final imo .

That’s about as relevant as saying Cockerill’s first against Exeter was a foul and his second was offside. Horrendous refereeing decisions cost us in the play offs under Hurst 2 years running and yet you highlight an injury to one player as the reason we got promoted after 50 odd games. Bizarre
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 201 - 214
Poojah
December 5, 2021, 11:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,425
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from Vance Warner

That’s about as relevant as saying Cockerill’s first against Exeter was a foul and his second was offside. Horrendous refereeing decisions cost us in the play offs under Hurst 2 years running and yet you highlight an injury to one player as the reason we got promoted after 50 odd games. Bizarre

Those two decisions at Gateshead and Wembley were absolutely outrageous, not to mention the then generally reliable McKeown throwing one into the net early in that Gateshead game.

You have to give him that. But in terms of butterfly effect scenarios, Gregor Robertson getting injured early in the season at Braintree and causing us to bring in Conor Townsend had a massive effect on our finishing position that season - we may well not have made the play-offs without his massive contribution.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 202 - 214
pen penfras
December 5, 2021, 12:05pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Buckley spent the kind of money we could only dream about spending in 1997 too and then followed it up by spending £500k on Lee Ashcroft. Since then, we've barely spent a penny on transfers. I mean earlier this week we had to get a player to get out of his contract before signing him on a free.

I want to hear JS view on that situation. Sounds very much against the principles he's talking about in the national press every few weeks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 203 - 214
KingstonMariner
December 5, 2021, 4:32pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from pen penfras

I want to hear JS view on that situation. Sounds very much against the principles he's talking about in the national press every few weeks

Trust you to come out with such codswallop PP. JS has never said anything about not spending money that you have. Buckley’s big spending in 97 and 98 came from transfer fees (Mendonca £700k, Oster £1.5m) and increased ticket receipts (two Wembley finals).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 204 - 214
pen penfras
December 5, 2021, 4:36pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Trust you to come out with such codswallop PP. JS has never said anything about not spending money that you have. Buckley’s big spending in 97 and 98 came from transfer fees (Mendonca £700k, Oster £1.5m) and increased ticket receipts (two Wembley finals).

I mean the player that apparently lied to get out of his contract and then immediately signed for us. Absolutely no chance that came from ethical intentions. And there's no way they'd let him go for nothing if they knew the team that were 3rd in the league were about to sign him the next day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 205 - 214
sonofmadeleymariner
December 5, 2021, 6:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Vance Warner

He's not wrong though, the Monkhouse injury was the best thing that happened for us that season as it forced Hurst to stop playing long ball after long ball after long ball to him over and over again just for us to lose everytime as team just started to double mark him.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 206 - 214
DB
December 5, 2021, 6:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,971
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from aldi_01

You have to remember that some fans haven’t ever really come to terms with the fact we’re a no mark non league side these days, not still kicking about in the championship…

That's down to the Fenty years, enough said.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 207 - 214
KingstonMariner
December 5, 2021, 6:50pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from pen penfras

I mean the player that apparently lied to get out of his contract and then immediately signed for us. Absolutely no chance that came from ethical intentions. And there's no way they'd let him go for nothing if they knew the team that were 3rd in the league were about to sign him the next day.

The word is “allegedly” not “apparently”. Not saying that there aren’t questions to answer, but it’s just like you to take the other side without question. Or did you criticise Fenty when he poached Scott and Hurst from Boston?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 208 - 214
pen penfras
December 6, 2021, 6:54am

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

The word is “allegedly” not “apparently”. Not saying that there aren’t questions to answer, but it’s just like you to take the other side without question. Or did you criticise Fenty when he poached Scott and Hurst from Boston?

I don't have a problem with it if we sneakily signed a player. Woking were stupid for releasing his registration. Football is cut throat and although it's immoral, I don't really care.

What I do care about is a person that's in the national press preaching fairness, equality and respect yet actions of signing players like this and offering minimum wage jobs are not at all in line with what he's publicly saying.

This absolutely sounds like a Fenty move. And the knives would have been out the second that video was released.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 209 - 214
22 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.