Ruston AT
November 24, 2021, 2:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +432
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Think I would think more of the club with all this commitment to #greater together etc they keep talking about.. if they admit he had made a mistake etc only a 22 year old lad and work with him to be part of the club rather than just bin him off..

Sense spoken at last.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 107
LondonMariner43
November 24, 2021, 2:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I find it hard to believe that everyone on here seems not to have done something stupid in their early 20's. Hurst said in an earlier interview that Sears had struggled to settle in the area. Yes, he's done wrong, there's no escaping that but maybe better to put a proverbial arm round him and give him a second chance.

I don't think many people on here were professional footballers in their 20s.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 107
HerveJosse
November 24, 2021, 2:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,207
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from mimma
You can't just get rid of a player because he has got drunk, if we go down that road then there will be hundreds of ex professional footballers out of work. For a start they haven't broken any of their contract since I doubt there is a clause banning drinking. Remember Gallimore, everyone knew of his drinking, but he still turned up and did the business.

Yes you can because he has committed a serious criminal offence and gross misconduct both of which will be covered in any competent employment contract. There will be an internal procedure to follow which is probably why the club has said nothing and we had to rely on Powys County News to know about it. The club will be able to ditch him if they choose to .Whether they will or. It is to be seen but highly likely. Three times over the limit is more then just a young lad taking a chance and making a bad choice. I wonder if anyone else from the club was with him at the time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 107
rancido
November 24, 2021, 2:47pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MuddyWaters

No one condones what he’s done but to say he’s privileged to play non league football?

Certainly privileged to be a professional footballer. It's not like some job you are forced to do to earn a living. Professional footballers are doing a job they obviously love and want to do. They get paid, in general, more than your average guy on the street, even if it is a relatively short career.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 107
Ipswin
November 24, 2021, 3:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from HerveJosse

I wonder if anyone else from the club was with him at the time.

I would think it highly likely as fellow employees at the club are probably the only people he knows in the area

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 107
rancido
November 24, 2021, 3:55pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Does that mean that only professional footballers can get done for DD? Or is a young lad who might be struggling with being away from home immune from a bit of TLC?

FFS ! I can imagine your reaction if a member of your family was injured or killed by a DD three times over the limit and his defence was " I was struggling with being away from home and I needed a bit of TLC ". I know nobody was injured or killed in this instance but the principal remains the same regardless of what profession they are in. I could understand just over the limit but three times over is some serious necking it down and a lot of TLC required.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 107
LondonMariner43
November 24, 2021, 4:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
Hearing this news alongside the recent dip in form makes me worry about what is going in the squad and potentially explains some of Hurst's comments about players not living up to his expectations etc etc.  Why has a team that was on fire a few weeks ago gone off the boil?  Yes, we have had injuries, but the intensity has dropped.  Its easy to imagine a situation where some of the squad are out boozing/ late nights etc and off form as a result, news of this incident gets out, others in the squad are annoyed at being let down by their colleagues and within weeks you can go from a harmonious, successful side to a unhappy, unsuccessful side.  Its not the fault of the manager but, if that's the case, PH has a big challenge now to turn things around.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 107
Ipswin
November 24, 2021, 4:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from LondonMariner43
  Its easy to imagine a situation where some of the squad are out boozing/ late nights etc .

Not too many I hope if Hurst is going to sack all the players who go drinking. We haven't got the depth in the squad we initially thought if enough get drunk and sacked we might not be able to put out a team.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 107
pen penfras
November 24, 2021, 5:21pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from rancido

Certainly privileged to be a professional footballer. It's not like some job you are forced to do to earn a living. Professional footballers are doing a job they obviously love and want to do. They get paid, in general, more than your average guy on the street, even if it is a relatively short career.

I don't think a NL right back is earning all that much money at all. It is a privilege to pursue a career that you enjoy, but being a footballer at this level is short and they have nothing to fall back on for the last 30 years of their working life. It's an incredibly mild privilege at best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 107
pen penfras
November 24, 2021, 5:24pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from rancido

FFS ! I can imagine your reaction if a member of your family was injured or killed by a DD three times over the limit and his defence was " I was struggling with being away from home and I needed a bit of TLC ". I know nobody was injured or killed in this instance but the principal remains the same regardless of what profession they are in. I could understand just over the limit but three times over is some serious necking it down and a lot of TLC required.

It's completely stupid and somebody could have got seriously hurt which would have been tragic. But for a slender 22 year old, it isn't really necking it at all. Most people will be over the limit after 2 quick pints of a weak lager like Carling. 4 pints of a strong beer would be close to that amount and I'd bet anything that more than 1 of the people making comments in here have drank that much and driven at some point in their life.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 107
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ryan Sears

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.