4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
November 22, 2021, 12:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
He might be whistling in the wind but I'm proud to say that my football club is being looked after by people with the right principles.

Those will count for something in the long run.

Hopefully his positive attitude and willingness to raise the skills and aspirations of the town inspire others to think like that, and do more for each other. The whole 'greater together' mantra in full swing.

One of two people pushing for change is one thing. But if he can get an entire fanbase and an entire town united and pushing for positive change then it's more likely to happen.

Who knows where this Fair Game initiative will go, too? Galvanise clubs and get them organised to turn up the pressure...

If you don't ask, you don't get.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 20 - 34
lew chaterleys lover
November 22, 2021, 3:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from RichMariner
He might be whistling in the wind but I'm proud to say that my football club is being looked after by people with the right principles.

Those will count for something in the long run.

Hopefully his positive attitude and willingness to raise the skills and aspirations of the town inspire others to think like that, and do more for each other. The whole 'greater together' mantra in full swing.

One of two people pushing for change is one thing. But if he can get an entire fanbase and an entire town united and pushing for positive change then it's more likely to happen.

Who knows where this Fair Game initiative will go, too? Galvanise clubs and get them organised to turn up the pressure...

If you don't ask, you don't get.

It is certainly an interesting discussion point.

I have read the aims and aspirations of the Fair Game initiative which is online.

It bemoans the loss of Bury and Macclesfield and laments the fact that the great Bolton dropped into the basement division. There is an awful lot of talk about fairness, and responsibility and community which is fair enough, but how on earth can you stop some clubs from being run badly? Bury overspent and went out of business. Macclesfield did well to get into the league at all, and Bolton may or may not have been badly run, but suffered the fate of having a pyramid system which in theory means no club is immune from relegations  - even those with past glories which are just a distant dream. It is not nice for the fans but it is good when a giant of the game comes unstuck and gets a reality check.

Those clubs that are well run and well-financed will tend to do well; those that are badly run and overspend will suffer the consequences.

GTFC have been shockingly badly run under the former regime, but not particularly on the financial side so what would Fair Game be able to do about that?

Every club is unique. Each club will have its good and bad points, and at any given time be doing well, or not so well, or having a stinker. Isn't that part of the joy?

Some fans do suffer terribly, which must be very upsetting. If Town went bust I would be mortified, but I would be determined to help in any way I could to get us back.

I just think the whole idea of a fairer game is too abstract to be meaningful. I would rather try hard to do a Brentford than try to impose some top-down level playing field which in any even would soon be circumvented by ambitious clubs.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 34
KingstonMariner
November 22, 2021, 5:27pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
There is no mention anywhere of a top-down level playing field Lew. They’re talking about better governance, which is a different thing.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 34
lew chaterleys lover
November 22, 2021, 7:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from KingstonMariner
There is no mention anywhere of a top-down level playing field Lew. They’re talking about better governance, which is a different thing.

They do talk a lot about better governance that is true, but their manifesto talks about salary caps across "all divisions" which is surely an attempt to level up the playing field.

Their intentions are no doubt good, but I don't think it would ever work in practice.

We will just have to see as the years roll by.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 34
jamesgtfc
November 22, 2021, 7:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190

This is why I'm interested to hear how he thinks it should be structured. A flat cap will only increase transfer fees as clubs like ourselves with bigger attendances have surplus cash to spend so, in my opinion, it should be an enforced percentage of income with loopholes like having a hotel you own 100 miles away buying the stadium naming rights closed off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 34
KingstonMariner
November 22, 2021, 10:12pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

This is why I'm interested to hear how he thinks it should be structured. A flat cap will only increase transfer fees as clubs like ourselves with bigger attendances have surplus cash to spend so, in my opinion, it should be an enforced percentage of income with loopholes like having a hotel you own 100 miles away buying the stadium naming rights closed off.

I don’t think Holloway spent that much on transfers.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 34
KingstonMariner
November 22, 2021, 10:13pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

They haven’t mentioned a flat cap either. So I don’t know where you’ve got that one from.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 34
jamesgtfc
November 22, 2021, 10:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190

They haven’t mentioned a flat cap either. So I don’t know where you’ve got that one from.

Stockwood hasn't but I believe the salary cap due to come in next season is a flat £900k. I don't think that is the way forward but I do think regulations are required.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 34
KingstonMariner
November 22, 2021, 11:14pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Stockwood hasn't but I believe the salary cap due to come in next season is a flat £900k. I don't think that is the way forward but I do think regulations are required.

Yeah, but that's the whole point. People are inferring that Stockwood/Fair Game have suggested it. It's just balderdash conjured up out of thin air.

I agree with you on a flat cap. Unless it applies to every league right up to the top. Which it isn't. It's no good having equality only for the poor!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 34
ginnywings
November 23, 2021, 1:05am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,108
Gold Stars: 548
A salary cap is a race to the bottom.

We can't come up to your level, so you must drop to ours. All feels very..... non league.

League clubs gave it short shrift and soon rejected the idea.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › JS on Sports Talk

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.