4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Northbank Mariner
November 22, 2021, 3:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,431
Gold Stars: 171
FFS... pointless thread but I'll give you the answer.

He doesn't wear the gear on the sidelines on the say so of the board.
In a recent interview JT asked him this question and he answered saying that the management (JS, AP, DC) requested that he looked more professional during matches and it was part of his remit as first team manager to dress accordingly.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
Chrisblor
November 22, 2021, 4:41pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,745
Gold Stars: 232
Did he? I'm pretty sure he did one with Matt Dean recently where he said he just didn't like the look of the league supplied gear this season which was why he'd started wearing his own stuff on the touchline. Dictating to employees what they're expected to wear doesn't really seem like the sort of approach the new owners would take.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
Northbank Mariner
November 22, 2021, 6:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,431
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Chrisblor
Did he? I'm pretty sure he did one with Matt Dean recently where he said he just didn't like the look of the league supplied gear this season which was why he'd started wearing his own stuff on the touchline. Dictating to employees what they're expected to wear doesn't really seem like the sort of approach the new owners would take.

Yep, he definitely did...I may have paraphrased but in essence it was a "request" from upon high rather than dictated to.
Remember being quite surprised at the time but he said he likes his new look so went with it
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
pen penfras
November 22, 2021, 6:19pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
I thought the league fine teams where the managers don't where the league branded stuff. Fairly sure Rob Scott got us in trouble for that in the past.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
jamesgtfc
November 22, 2021, 8:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,938
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from pen penfras
I thought the league fine teams where the managers don't where the league branded stuff. Fairly sure Rob Scott got us in trouble for that in the past.

Southend will get fined then as their manager put his favourite jumper on for the TV cameras too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
aldi_01
November 22, 2021, 8:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from pen penfras

The fine is peanuts and I believe they were thrown in the bin…it was forest green, we won 1-0 I believe, excrement Tuesday night game.

As diplomatic as the moronic Fenty was, he didn’t congratulate the management on a hard fight win, choosing to open with ‘where’s your league coat, get it on, I’m not paying a fine’

A short argument and choice words were had…I know, a very close friend was there as Paul Hursts guest that night…

Few managers wear the crap now provided by the league, choosing club attire or the stereotypical, black slacks, shirt/knitted jumper/knitted polo shirt manager outfit…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
ginnywings
November 22, 2021, 9:00pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,084
Gold Stars: 547
This is all news to me.

I had no idea that there was official gear the managers are supposed to wear. Just thought they all wore the obligatory club tracksuit with their initials on it because it was easy and supplied for free.

Michael Jolley was quite dapper if I remember, but he wasn't really a footy manager as it transpired.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
Poojah
November 22, 2021, 9:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,394
Gold Stars: 1,497
Quoted from ginnywings
This is all news to me.

I had no idea that there was official gear the managers are supposed to wear. Just thought they all wore the obligatory club tracksuit with their initials on it because it was easy and supplied for free.

Michael Jolley was quite dapper if I remember, but he wasn't really a footy manager as it transpired.

To be fair as sacked Grimsby Town managers go he's up there with my all-time favourites (Buckley being number one, obvs).

I don't think he'd have ever taken us down or had us in any serious danger in my opinion, which is probably an achievement in itself now more has come to light about the way the club was being run. It would have been interesting to have seen how he'd have done under more supportive, progressive ownership. Obviously what ensued in the 12 months or so following Jolley's departure were largely responsible for the changing of the guard, but still.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
jamesgtfc
November 22, 2021, 10:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,938
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah

To be fair as sacked Grimsby Town managers go he's up there with my all-time favourites (Buckley being number one, obvs).

I don't think he'd have ever taken us down or had us in any serious danger in my opinion, which is probably an achievement in itself now more has come to light about the way the club was being run. It would have been interesting to have seen how he'd have done under more supportive, progressive ownership. Obviously what ensued in the 12 months or so following Jolley's departure were largely responsible for the changing of the guard, but still.

There is a recurring theme with Jolley though. He's had 3 manager jobs and publicly fallen out with the board at all 3. It doesn't build a good picture for prospective employers of his.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
aldi_01
November 23, 2021, 3:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Poojah

Interesting isn’t it, I don’t think Jolley was a football manager as such, not sure we’d have done anything other than just hang around 4/5th bottom, but then, that was the ambition of the club and it’s owners so he wouldn’t be under achieving.

Was Jolley hamstrung bu the owners? Possibly but we’ll never really know, Bignot was the clown for me, I know folk will point to some good wins but in my life time Bignot is in there as being one of the worst. Does anyone know if he ever went out when we lost, like he said he would? When he was sacked he intimated about the urine poor ownership and running of the club but sadly, because he was shite his credibility was somewhat diminished…shame really Becauee in that area he was not wrong…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Clothing

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.