Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Which stand do you sit in?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 242 Guests

Which is your stand of choice?
Pontoon Stand
Main Stand
Upper Youngs Stand
Lower Youngs Stand
  View Results 92 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Which stand do you sit in?

This thread currently has 2,565 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
November 18, 2021, 7:24pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +827
Gold Stars: 117
When attending matches, which stand is your 'home' for 90 minutes?
Logged Offline
Private Message
newarkmariner
November 18, 2021, 7:44pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
Pontoon lad for over 45yrs,tried the lower smiths for a season about 20yrs ago,just was,nt for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
newarkmariner
November 18, 2021, 7:44pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
Pontoon lad for over 45yrs,tried the lower smiths for a season about 20yrs ago,just was,nt for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
promotion plaice
November 18, 2021, 7:54pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

Done all the others but you can't beat the view from the Upper, one of the best views in football.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
lew chaterleys lover
November 18, 2021, 7:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
When attending matches, which stand is your 'home' for 90 minutes?

Obviously over all the decades I have been going I have been in all the stands, sometimes for years at a stretch.

Stated off in the kids section by the side of the Barretts stand and then the Barretts stand for a good few years. In that stand I saw us hammer Scunthorpe 7-1 and the greatest game at BP IMO the 2-2 draw in the League cup quarter-final in 1965 against a great West Ham side.

Then moved to the Main stand as a teenager to be near my best mate and his family. In that stand I saw the 1971 promotion campaign which I don't think has been surpassed yet in terms of the excitement, the incredible crowds  (23,000 plus for the final game v Exeter) and the sheer joy.

I then moved to the Osmond to see Drinkell and Whymark and co. and the great Booth /Kerr sides.

Years ago I found myself in the Pontoon which is where I still reside. You obviously don't get as good a view of the overall pattern of the game behind the goal, but the feeling when we score an important goal is something else.

The Buckley years, the Tottenham win and the Fenty disasters have all been witnessed from the Pontoon.

The bottom line is that it doesn't really matter what stand you are in, as long as we are winning!
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
ginnywings
November 18, 2021, 8:15pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Started in the old Barratt boys paddock , then moved onto the Pontoon in my middle to late teens. Moved into the Upper when that came along and then back to the Pontoon again for a few seasons. When my eyesight got too bad as I aged and I couldn't see the far end of the pitch too well, I decided I needed to be nearer the halfway line. Tried the Main stand but couldn't get on with it, especially with a low sun in your eyes, so went back to the Upper where I will probably now remain until I die or we get a new ground. My money in on the former.

On Friday, I am going in the Osmond for a change. Used to go in there when you could change ends at half time years ago, but haven't been in there for a first team game in decades.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
Southwark Mariner
November 18, 2021, 8:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,545
Gold Stars: 82
funny how they're still called stands

Which sit do you stand in?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
Abdul19
November 18, 2021, 8:18pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,514
Gold Stars: 215
Surprised Upper Young's is winning.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
HerveJosse
November 18, 2021, 8:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,184
Gold Stars: 139
In the days before segregation it used to be in the first half standing behind the goal in the Osmond in as we always kick that way then in the second half the long gone terrace in the open corner between Pontoon and main.Then there was chaos in the Pontoon in the Mcmenemy championship season as an older youth. Then standing in the Barrett’s in the George Kerr/ Booth era. Then 30 years in the Upper Findus moving only once after several years of incessant moaning from the row behind. Intolerable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
dapperz fun pub
November 19, 2021, 4:52am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Started going mid 70s with my grandad in the cons corner but if it rained we’d go in the Barrett’s but over the years prefer the main stand
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Which stand do you sit in?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.