7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
November 17, 2021, 7:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Another hamstring, and a player who would be expected to start.

Manager been on the blower looking for a new face. Get Poirot on the case.
Private Message
promotion plaice
November 17, 2021, 8:02pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

Another player turned us down today if I read it right....

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.c.....r-blow-hurst-6220996

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 68
gtfcmd
November 17, 2021, 9:21pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +210
Gold Stars: 3
At a guess it would be Taylor with the hamstring injury and bogle probably turned us down again
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 68
DB
November 18, 2021, 2:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,998
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from promotion plaice

Another player turned us down today if I read it right....

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.c.....r-blow-hurst-6220996

Elliot said  
"No - conversations and calls are going on," Hurst told Grimsby Live

Hurst quotes and the article is a repeat of his conversation on the vid with Matt Dean, not Grimsby live. More crap misleading reporting from Grimsby Live latest recruit. I wonder if he knows where Cheapside is!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 68
denni266
November 18, 2021, 2:59am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
Imo a lot of this  cannot get players here is the wage structure and Hurst not wanting to bring someone in on more wages than the rest and causing upset.. Well i understand that to a point. But if you want better players your just going to have to pay for them , And the others are going to have to suck it up buttercups , If you want to earn more you will just have to improve your playing skills. It has never been any different that better players will earn more wages so why should it be different here? The thing is  if you dont pay the wages and get better players you will not only stand still but you will go backwards as other teams improve and we are already starting slip downwards
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 68
thefish
November 18, 2021, 5:07am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from denni266
Imo a lot of this  cannot get players here is the wage structure and Hurst not wanting to bring someone in on more wages than the rest and causing upset.. Well i understand that to a point. But if you want better players your just going to have to pay for them , And the others are going to have to suck it up buttercups , If you want to earn more you will just have to improve your playing skills. It has never been any different that better players will earn more wages so why should it be different here? The thing is  if you dont pay the wages and get better players you will not only stand still but you will go backwards as other teams improve and we are already starting slip downwards

True… but, the issue arises when you sign the ‘better’ players that are on more money but they don’t perform any better than the rest.

Sadly, it’s not as simple as ‘higher earners = better performance’.

See George Williams last season!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 68
mimma
November 18, 2021, 5:31am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
Every club has a wage structure,  with a ceiling. It is  financial suicide to go over it and hope it wins promotion,  if you don't  do you then stick or carry on spending more than you can afford?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 68
golfer
November 18, 2021, 7:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
Why do we get a lot of injuries in training ?  Are the players doing too much to impress
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 68
pontoonlew
November 18, 2021, 8:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,996
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from gtfcmd
At a guess it would be Taylor with the hamstring injury and bogle probably turned us down again

Aye makes sense for it to be Taylor, especially given Hurst seems to be more active trying to get in a striker again.

I’ve said it many times before but if it is Taylor who’s injured, this sort of situation of now having to rely on LJL should never have been allowed to happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 68
oochiad
November 18, 2021, 8:16am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,716
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from pontoonlew

Aye makes sense for it to be Taylor, especially given Hurst seems to be more active trying to get in a striker again.

I’ve said it many times before but if it is Taylor who’s injured, this sort of situation of now having to rely on LJL should never have been allowed to happen.

Allowed to happen you say, they’ve been trying to bring someone in for months ffs!…….
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 68
lew chaterleys lover
November 18, 2021, 8:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from mimma
Every club has a wage structure,  with a ceiling. It is  financial suicide to go over it and hope it wins promotion,  if you don't  do you then stick or carry on spending more than you can afford?

On the other hand it can leave you among the also rans.

There is one guaranteed promotion spot and one possible.  Assuming it is the owners' desire to get promoted then they will have to compete for the best players that turn good teams into promotion teams.

If Hurst is happy to be content with loan players to boost our chances fair enough, and if he has been told the plan is to make incremental improvements in the playing side over several seasons then fair enough.

However the NL is becoming the most competitive of divisions.  Even if 2 big spenders go up more will come down or other clubs will get more investment so we are stuck with the current system no matter what JS would like to change. It will never work if you expect other clubs ambitions to drop to give us a better chance.

I hope JS appreciates you can invest in the appropriate players when you need them without necessarily breaking the bank or wage structure.  

Existing players must understand that premium players attract premium wages and they would all benefit if it gives us a better chance of promotion.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 68
Zmariner
November 18, 2021, 9:04am
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
All teams have injuries. Why are we whining about it so much. The real issue here is the lack of depth to the squad and the fact that we don’t really have any squad depth up front. Fully appreciate that we have been trying to get one in but I am bemused why we did not start the season with one. In a football season there will always be periods of adversity, it is up to Hurst and the players to seize their opportunity and get on with it. Utm
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 68
Garth
November 18, 2021, 9:17am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from oochiad

Allowed to happen you say, they’ve been trying to bring someone in for months ffs!…….

From the start PH said he preferred small squads, I'll bet he regrets that now we're on our bottom end
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 68
Stew0_0
November 18, 2021, 9:26am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,196
Gold Stars: 35
Only player I cant see on the training video is Ben Fox, so likely to be him thats injured  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 68
pontoonlew
November 18, 2021, 9:54am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from oochiad

And still not found anybody, I’ve no doubt we’ve tried but if you can’t attract somebody when you’re top of the league when can you? We’ve spent too long looking for perfect and ended up with nothing.

Would also refer you to earlier in the season where Hurst said he was happy with his options up front.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 68
lew chaterleys lover
November 18, 2021, 10:12am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

And still not found anybody, I’ve no doubt we’ve tried but if you can’t attract somebody when you’re top of the league when can you? We’ve spent too long looking for perfect and ended up with nothing.

Would also refer you to earlier in the season where Hurst said he was happy with his options up front.

We are looking at loans only by the sound of Hurst yesterday. As he points out, clubs are unwilling to let people go out on loan with a busy period just around the corner. Now if you offered to buy a player it might be different. There doesn't seem to be any sign of that though which I find very frustrating after the fans have bought into the project in such numbers. If our increased attendances don't seem to give us a leg up in spending relatively modest amounts for players we need, what is the point?

If Hurst wants a player, that would be our player and not a loan that is surely the way to go and get an asset to make money on later?
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 68
Hagrid
November 18, 2021, 10:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,386
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from pontoonlew

i agree.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 68
denni266
November 18, 2021, 10:54am

Whiskey Drinker
There is somthing deffo wrong somewhere  if a top team cannot attract players .  This will be the best chance to get out this league and folk have been expecting more rightly or wrongley . if we lose on friday fans will start to dwindle away very quickley
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 68
devs
November 18, 2021, 11:27am
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from denni266
There is somthing deffo wrong somewhere  if a top team cannot attract players .  This will be the best chance to get out this league and folk have been expecting more rightly or wrongley . if we lose on friday fans will start to dwindle away very quickley

So why is there 6000+ expected Friday after 4 straight defeats?
Most of what is in this thread is conspiracy theory and conjecture - absolutely no basis in fact whatsoever
People taking out their frustrations with no idea what is going on

He's tried to get Bogle in - not interested
He's tried other options but for several reasons they've not come off

Look where getting Jackson, Gibson, Sisay, Williams, Rose et al got us last year - nowhere!

I think the London area clubs have a huge advantage over us - location and appeal... Grimsby is simply not an attractive place to a lot of players whether we are top or bottom

Chesterfield have paid way over the odds for Tshimanga - fair enough... but it's no guarantee of promotion and Hurst said he was not prepared to pay 250k plus his wages - 100% agree with him

Hurst could not have expected out of 4 strikers that we'd have one long-term injury; one out for 4-6 weeks; and one on cusp of always being injured.. you can't keep splashing the cash

Taylor is the type of quality player we attract now - over 30 and injury prone; we simply can't compete on so many levels for younger strikers
We are way down the pecking order - money, wages, player ambition, attractive club

It is frustrating but it's the modern game I'm afraid

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 68
Northbank Mariner
November 18, 2021, 12:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Quoted from denni266

Sorry I have to disagree with you, this is simply not our best chance of getting out of this league, certainly when we are up againat the likes of Wrexham, Stockport, Chesterfield who are spunking cash for fun and have the means to do so.
We we're always in for a bumpy road this year with the turnaround of the squad and the facilities needing so much investment just to make it fit for purpose.
What I'm seeing is the fans are taking to the squad and owners like I've not seen in years and I honestly believe we've gone from an hard core of 3000 to 4000 purely down to the fact the feeling around the place has improved exponentially.
If The Board set a budget based on a crowd of 3500 then it's not difficult to see that the 2022/2023 budget will increase due to increased crowd numbers
So back to my original point, for me next season should offer a better opportunity to move out this league, hopefully one of the big spenders will go up, the teams currently bottom of league 2 do not have the funding we will have and I'm expecting a slightly better squad, small improvements will go along a way and patience is needed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 68
chaos33
November 18, 2021, 12:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
Quoted from Garth

From the start PH said he preferred small squads, I'll bet he regrets that now we're on our bottom end

How are we on our ‘@rse end’ ?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 68
chaos33
November 18, 2021, 12:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from denni266

‘Wrongley’ and ‘quickley’?
Sometimes you seem to enjoy doom mongering.
You’re not even constructive or balanced. Why don’t you just give up supporting Town or writing badly expressed cobblers on a message board and taking up something you enjoy?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 68
MuddyWaters
November 18, 2021, 12:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

You’re not even constructive or balanced. Why don’t you just give up supporting Town or writing badly expressed cobblers on a message board and taking up something you enjoy?

Always thought that a message board/forum was for diverse opinions and views. We’ve lost four on the bounce, can’t buy a goal (or a striker) and yet any slight negative comment is berated.

I’m all for the improvements that are being made but football clubs are generally judged by on field success.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 68
toontown
November 18, 2021, 12:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Sorry I have to disagree with you, this is simply not our best chance of getting out of this league, certainly when we are up againat the likes of Wrexham, Stockport, Chesterfield who are spunking cash for fun and have the means to do so.
We we're always in for a bumpy road this year with the turnaround of the squad and the facilities needing so much investment just to make it fit for purpose.
What I'm seeing is the fans are taking to the squad and owners like I've not seen in years and I honestly believe we've gone from an hard core of 3000 to 4000 purely down to the fact the feeling around the place has improved exponentially.
If The Board set a budget based on a crowd of 3500 then it's not difficult to see that the 2022/2023 budget will increase due to increased crowd numbers
So back to my original point, for me next season should offer a better opportunity to move out this league, hopefully one of the big spenders will go up, the teams currently bottom of league 2 do not have the funding we will have and I'm expecting a slightly better squad, small improvements will go along a way and patience is needed

Remember though next season we lose half our parachute payments, the rest the year after, so a lot of extra income would be swallowed up replacing that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 68
lew chaterleys lover
November 18, 2021, 12:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from devs

Most of what is in this thread is conspiracy theory and conjecture - absolutely no basis in fact whatsoever

Look where getting Jackson, Gibson, Sisay, Williams, Rose et al got us last year - nowhere!

I think the London area clubs have a huge advantage over us - location and appeal... Grimsby is simply not an attractive place to a lot of players whether we are top or bottom

Chesterfield have paid way over the odds for Tshimanga - fair enough... but it's no guarantee of promotion and Hurst said he was not prepared to pay 250k plus his wages - 100% agree with him

Hurst could not have expected out of 4 strikers that we'd have one long-term injury; one out for 4-6 weeks; and one on cusp of always being injured.. you can't keep splashing the cash

Taylor is the type of quality player we attract now - over 30 and injury prone; we simply can't compete on so many levels for younger strikers
We are way down the pecking order - money, wages, player ambition, attractive club

Fair points.

I don't however agree that we cannot attract players.

We are in the 5th tier and obviously a big player in the league. We attracted players who took us to the top of the table, and of course many thousands of players over the years. We get good crowds and are in the top 3.

The location works both ways and some players would prefer to be north of Watford.

There are relatively few clubs where players can go if they are of a good 5th tier standard, they do not have an unlimited choice of clubs that are in the exact location they prefer or can afford them. I was hoping that narrowed down list would give us an advantage but we seem to be making heavy weather of it.

I do agree that we cannot keep throwing money at it, but I am equally sure the owners will not want to throw the good start and goodwill out of the window for the sake of signing a couple of players to keep us in good shape.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 68
pontoonlew
November 18, 2021, 12:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from devs

The famous ‘they won’t want to come here’ narrative is out again I see.

There are currently 20 players at other clubs who have scored the same or more than Ryan Taylor. I’m not for one minute that Taylor isn’t a good option but are you seriously telling me there’s nobody out there equal or better than could realistically come here?

It’s an old, tired excuse IMO.

As for not predicting that we’d have injuries up front, why could a proportion of our fan base see it coming but not Hurst? LJL and Taylor have long histories of injuries.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 68
toontown
November 18, 2021, 12:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from toontown

Remember though next season we lose half our parachute payments, the rest the year after, so a lot of extra income would be swallowed up replacing that.

Plus fenty will still be sucking money out the club which this year we got transfer fees to pay off, next year it will have to come out of the regular income generation most likely
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 68
chaos33
November 18, 2021, 1:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Always thought that a message board/forum was for diverse opinions and views. We’ve lost four on the bounce, can’t buy a goal (or a striker) and yet any slight negative comment is berated.

I’m all for the improvements that are being made but football clubs are generally judged by on field success.

Don’t be silly. He doesn’t make use of ‘slight negative’ comments. He just contributes wallowing, pessimistic overstatement. I’m not trying to say he shouldn’t post a critical opinion - I’ve done that tons of times myself on here, but he doesn’t seem to ever see anything enjoyable or posiive in following Town or contributing here, but loiters waiting until something doesn’t go well and off he goes…..and that’s a huge worry to me. 😉

Alright, obviously I couldn’t really give a toss but it’s boring.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 68
devs
November 18, 2021, 1:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30

Good points too...

Fair points.

We are in the 5th tier and obviously a big player in the league. We attracted players who took us to the top of the table, and of course many thousands of players over the years. We get good crowds and are in the top 3.

The location works both ways and some players would prefer to be north of Watford.

There are relatively few clubs where players can go if they are of a good 5th tier standard, they do not have an unlimited choice of clubs that are in the exact location they prefer or can afford them. I was hoping that narrowed down list would give us an advantage but we seem to be making heavy weather of it.

I do agree that we cannot keep throwing money at it, but I am equally sure the owners will not want to throw the good start and goodwill out of the window for the sake of signing a couple of players to keep us in good shape.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 68
Northbank Mariner
November 18, 2021, 1:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from toontown

Plus fenty will still be sucking money out the club which this year we got transfer fees to pay off, next year it will have to come out of the regular income generation most likely

That's what I focused on the increased crowd funding the playing budget. That's the barometer for the money available to Hurst or whomever is in charge. I don't think the parachute payments have gone into the squad, I would suspect that's been used on the pitch, ground and cheapside.
If I recall correctly the owners had already budgeted for paying "him" back and said that won't affect the playing budget...god I hate Fenty!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 68
denni266
November 18, 2021, 2:08pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

Well i am sorry " NOT"  for not being able to put my thoughts across as good as some can,.  Maby you should give up reading if you dont like what you read . I can asure you my ability to word things incorectly has not stoped me from doing very well in life very well. I alwase listen to reasond thoughts and welcome them  . But i will not be told basically to go away and do something else  ever
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 68
golfer
November 18, 2021, 2:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from Stew0_0
Only player I cant see on the training video is Ben Fox, so likely to be him thats injured  

I hope not if it means letting Coke back in the 11
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 68
HertsGTFC
November 18, 2021, 3:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228

Fair points.

From what we're led to believe it's evident that we can't attract "some" of the players we wanted.

Some other things resonate..

- There are probably 4/5 other clubs who can be considered big players based upon their history and background.
- There's arguably a couple who have no real history but income streams that help and densely populated catchments to pull from.  
- We where top of the league but had what wasn't a particularly challenging start in terms of the first few opponents, we did play well overall though and that must be recognised.
- Hurst may have his critics but his work ethic on and off the training ground cannot be brought into question he'll be giving 110% to try and make us better by adding to the group.

In terms of injuries I'm not sure we know the detail  all I know is that players don't get injured on purpose and with the current staff we have possibly the best back room we've ever had to prevent it but sh1t happens.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 68
Humbercod
November 18, 2021, 3:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Approval: -3,494
Gold Stars: 82
I’d feel better if said club had turned our transfer offer down, At least we would know Hurst has some kind of budget left.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 68
pen penfras
November 18, 2021, 4:09pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from oochiad

Have they really? It's not like players are rocking horse excrement. There's lots of options out there and we've been short of 2 players all season. Now it's coming back to bite us.

If Fenty was here, nobody would be saying it's hard to sign players, it'd be straight to penny pinching. The rhetoric coming out is that we can expect more of the same in terms of playing budget, but have better facilities and PR. It's a shame we don't look to have capitalised on the good results and good crowds, but I guess gambling that it will continue probably wasn't the best choice if they want this fair play malarky to come to fruition.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 68
ska face
November 18, 2021, 4:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,640
Gold Stars: 840
Fenty’s gone and he isn’t coming back.

Cope.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 68
Northbank Mariner
November 18, 2021, 4:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ska face
Fenty’s gone and he isn’t coming back.

Cope.

Ska, you should know PP will do everything he can to show the "the man who failed for 17 years" wore a armour of shining steel ...unlike the reality of the fact he was a prat in tin foil!!..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 68
ska face
November 18, 2021, 4:39pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Ska, you should know PP will do everything he can to show the "the man who failed for 17 years" wore a armour of shining steel ...unlike the reality of the fact he was a prat in tin foil!!..

Let’s not forget, PP did spend most of that time polishing Fenty’s helmet.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 68
pen penfras
November 18, 2021, 5:04pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from ska face

Let’s not forget, PP did spend most of that time polishing Fenty’s helmet.

I get it. If Fenty's in charge and we can't sign a player, it's penny pinching and there's no other possible explanation. Now we can't sign a player despite having significantly above budget crowds and it's because there's nobody out there.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 68
MuddyWaters
November 18, 2021, 5:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Well I haven’t done the sums but we must be averaging 1500-2000 above the budgeted gate so there must be some cash kicking around somewhere, mustn’t there? In this era of transparency, I’m sure all will become clear soon.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 68
ska face
November 18, 2021, 5:21pm

Vodka Drinker
We’d have half a million quid to chuck at prospective signings it it weren’t for that parasite.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 68
Northbank Mariner
November 18, 2021, 5:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

I get it. If Fenty's in charge and we can't sign a player, it's penny pinching and there's no other possible explanation. Now we can't sign a player despite having significantly above budget crowds and it's because there's nobody out there.

Nope, because that money won't become available until next year, or possibly the year after, you know, when we've finally paid "it" off!!.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 68
MuddyWaters
November 18, 2021, 5:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face
We’d have half a million quid to chuck at prospective signings it it weren’t for that parasite.

I’m not renowned for my support for Fenty but if the deal is that 1878 are paying him off at half a million a year then that’s the deal. They clearly stated in the interview with Matt Dean that they were paying ‘personal cash’ for the club.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 68
chaos33
November 18, 2021, 5:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I didn’t tell you to go away. I remarked that you always seem so negative and suggested that you might consider alternatives in which you can find some balance and/or fulfilment. I’ve never seen you post anything remotely positive.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 68
ska face
November 18, 2021, 5:51pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’m not renowned for my support for Fenty but if the deal is that 1878 are paying him off at half a million a year then that’s the deal. They clearly stated in the interview with Matt Dean that they were paying ‘personal cash’ for the club.

Well documented about the time of the Grist deal that Fenty insisted that any transfer fees went straight to him too, rather than to the club. Was one of his “red lines” & wouldn’t budge.

So whereas 1878 are happy to pay him at £500k a year of their own cash, he’s still using the club as a personal piggy bank.

£250k of striker might’ve got us straight back up & his money back sooner, but we’ll never know. The cúnt.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 68
Meza
November 18, 2021, 6:05pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from ska face

Well documented about the time of the Grist deal that Fenty insisted that any transfer fees went straight to him too, rather than to the club. Was one of his “red lines” & wouldn’t budge.

So whereas 1878 are happy to pay him at £500k a year of their own cash, he’s still using the club as a personal piggy bank.

£250k of striker might’ve got us straight back up & his money back sooner, but we’ll never know. The cúnt.

Personally i think JS & AP fcuked up here. They should have just paid him off there and then took back what they are owed afterwards.  If i had the money he would have been paid off.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 68
lew chaterleys lover
November 18, 2021, 6:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Meza

Personally i think JS & AP fcuked up here. They should have just paid him off there and then took back what they are owed afterwards.  If i had the money he would have been paid off.

I have never understood that either to be honest. They obviously have the money, so why not just pay him what he is owed and be done with it? He is lingering around like a bad smell.

They say they are in for the long haul so they could have redressed the balance over many years.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 68
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 18, 2021, 6:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,264
Gold Stars: 295
Quoted from Meza

None of us were in the negotiations (I assume!) and therefore don't know what was discussed and where the red lines were or weren't. The comment above about being told that the transfer fee part was a red line notwithstanding.

I'll be honest, if I had Stockwood and Petit's money I wouldn't go near a football club because they are a money pit. Stockwood has said publicly that he wouldn't have done it if it was about his head but the decision was made by his heart.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 68
Meza
November 18, 2021, 6:26pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50

None of us were in the negotiations (I assume!) and therefore don't know what was discussed and where the red lines were or weren't. The comment above about being told that the transfer fee part was a red line notwithstanding.

I'll be honest, if I had Stockwood and Petit's money I wouldn't go near a football club because they are a money pit. Stockwood has said publicly that he wouldn't have done it if it was about his head but the decision was made by his heart.

And thank god for that.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 68
HerveJosse
November 18, 2021, 6:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,207
Gold Stars: 143
Quoted from ska face

There has never been a statement that Fentys  loan will be paid with ‘personal cash’ either formally in the takeover documents or informally. The loan is to Grimsby Town Limited ie the club and it is its legal  obligation to repay it. The only nuance is that if GTFC cant pay there is guarantee to repay it from 1878 partners Limited a shell company with a share capital  of i£2 whose only asset is its shareholding in GTFC. So there is nothing visible or as far as I am aware anything stated by the the new owners that indicates anything other then the loan needs to repaid out of the trading receipts of GTFC whether gate receipts or incoming transfer fees. If they voluntary intend to inject new funds to repay Fenty and use the clubs unexpectedly enhanced income to fund investment or new player signings they would be free to say so.
In the abscence  of any statement on the matter one can only deduce the position from other actions. In a positive direction we can see investment in the training ground and minor investment at Blundell Park. How significant this is is unknown.In the other direction we have question marks over possible new investment in the squad when needed.
The most telling point for me is the apparent support for a salary cap in the National League. That in my opinion would be a disaster for our club. While
nothing is settled yet on the level of salary cap for players wages for next season the suggested figure is £900k. That is very small beer for a club with gates of 6000 and would play into the hands of the poorly supported south east clubs in this division who can attract semi professional players of some quality who hold a second well paid job or who have plastic pitches.
We are a big fish in this league why dilute our advantage if the objective  is to get out of this league and to a higher level where further investment will be required.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 68
MuddyWaters
November 18, 2021, 6:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Thanks for clarifying but even having said that, the transfer income reduces the overall debt to Fenty and we still have had massive increased revenue from gate receipts.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 68
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
November 18, 2021, 7:19pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +836
Gold Stars: 117
I think the 3 year repayment to 'him' was part of the deal, specifically done so he has a lovely income for the next 3 years for doing nothing, whereas a one off payment wouldn't have benefitted 'him' in the short term.

Yes it's all monies that as a football club owner he should write it off as a loss, but it doesn't matter how much everyone moans about it, it is what it is I'm afraid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 68
ginnywings
November 18, 2021, 8:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from devs

Four strikers? If only.

We haven't got four strikers. We have Taylor, who is excellent, then we have Lenny, who will give his all for the cause but can't exactly be described as prolific and missed out on pre season due to injury. He was then thrown in when Taylor and McAtee were out and has struggled to make an impact. McAtee is not an out and out striker and neither is Grant. Sure both could 'do a job' there but we still have a vacant No 9 shirt and we are a quarter of the way though the season with no signing in sight.

We are not privy to the ins and outs of player acquisition but I do know from what I've gleaned while working at the ground that PH is tireless in his knowledge and information gathering on players. He certainly puts the hours in on the phone to clubs and agents and travelling to watch midweek games.

I don't think it's for want of trying that we can't seem to pin the right recruits down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 68
jamesgtfc
November 18, 2021, 8:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HerveJosse

There has never been a statement that Fentys  loan will be paid with ‘personal cash’ either formally in the takeover documents or informally. The loan is to Grimsby Town Limited ie the club and it is its legal  obligation to repay it. The only nuance is that if GTFC cant pay there is guarantee to repay it from 1878 partners Limited a shell company with a share capital  of i£2 whose only asset is its shareholding in GTFC. So there is nothing visible or as far as I am aware anything stated by the the new owners that indicates anything other then the loan needs to repaid out of the trading receipts of GTFC whether gate receipts or incoming transfer fees. If they voluntary intend to inject new funds to repay Fenty and use the clubs unexpectedly enhanced income to fund investment or new player signings they would be free to say so.
In the abscence  of any statement on the matter one can only deduce the position from other actions. In a positive direction we can see investment in the training ground and minor investment at Blundell Park. How significant this is is unknown.In the other direction we have question marks over possible new investment in the squad when needed.
The most telling point for me is the apparent support for a salary cap in the National League. That in my opinion would be a disaster for our club. While
nothing is settled yet on the level of salary cap for players wages for next season the suggested figure is £900k. That is very small beer for a club with gates of 6000 and would play into the hands of the poorly supported south east clubs in this division who can attract semi professional players of some quality who hold a second well paid job or who have plastic pitches.
We are a big fish in this league why dilute our advantage if the objective  is to get out of this league and to a higher level where further investment will be required.

I'm interested to hear Jasons' vision of a salary cap. I've said that the flat cap of £900k will push transfer fees up because clubs like ourselves with gates much larger than others in the division will have excess income.

I agree that there should be a cap but it should be a percentage of certain income. The reason I say certain income is because it will prevent owners naming stadiums after hotels on the other side of the country that they own for an over inflated sum.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 68
ginnywings
November 18, 2021, 8:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I'm interested to hear Jasons' vision of a salary cap. I've said that the flat cap of £900k will push transfer fees up because clubs like ourselves with gates much larger than others in the division will have excess income.

I agree that there should be a cap but it should be a percentage of certain income. The reason I say certain income is because it will prevent owners naming stadiums after hotels on the other side of the country that they own for an over inflated sum.

All the more reason to get recruiting better quality players this season, so they are on pre existing contracts if/when the cap comes in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 68
MuddyWaters
November 18, 2021, 8:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I understood that the salary cap has been voted for already. Therefore we either push to get promoted this season or, next season, have the same spending power as every other team in the league with the undoubted pulling power of being miles from anywhere with the nightlife of Cleethorpes as an added bonus.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 68
dapperz fun pub
November 18, 2021, 9:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
That salary cap kills us big time I didn’t even know their was one 🤷 maybe signing on fees could get round it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 68
lew chaterleys lover
November 18, 2021, 9:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
That salary cap kills us big time I didn’t even know their was one 🤷 maybe signing on fees could get round it

There will always be  a way round it. A legal challenge is always a possibility as some clubs will see their advantages negated. We will have to accept fierce financial competition is part of football and get on with it and compete.

Private Message
Reply: 57 - 68
dapperz fun pub
November 18, 2021, 9:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929

There will always be  a way round it. A legal challenge is always a possibility as some clubs will see their advantages negated. We will have to accept fierce financial competition is part of football and get on with it and compete.

Will it based on turnover per club or just straight on figure and that’s it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 68
Epworth Mariner
November 18, 2021, 9:36pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +646
Gold Stars: 57
This thread is about injuries…… or that’s what is said??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 68
gytone
November 18, 2021, 10:04pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: +1,020
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Epworth Mariner
This thread is about injuries…… or that’s what is said??

Going back to the injuries theme, I watched the inside training video and didn't notice Sousa, saw Taylor and Crookes, could it be Sousa whose injured.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 68
Northbank Mariner
November 18, 2021, 10:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from gytone

Going back to the injuries theme, I watched the inside training video and didn't notice Sousa, saw Taylor and Crookes, could it be Sousa whose injured.

Sousa was there but I'm sure I never saw LJL, did anybody else??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 68
denni266
November 18, 2021, 10:56pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
I didn’t tell you to go away. I remarked that you always seem so negative and suggested that you might consider alternatives in which you can find some balance and/or fulfilment. I’ve never seen you post anything remotely positive.

Look harder then
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 68
DB
November 19, 2021, 4:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,998
Gold Stars: 386
The way around a salary cap is for a player to have a second job. I believe Newcastle did this years ago with Alan Shearer who worked for Scottish and Newcastle Brewery.

Just a thought.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 68
jamesgtfc
November 19, 2021, 9:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from DB
The way around a salary cap is for a player to have a second job. I believe Newcastle did this years ago with Alan Shearer who worked for Scottish and Newcastle Brewery.

Just a thought.

Or pay their wife £2k a week to work in McMennemys.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 68
moosey_club
November 19, 2021, 2:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from DB

Just a thought.

We did it with Gally in the 90's  , he had a similar job with a brewery , not sure what but was often seen visiting the pubs during the week.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 68
lew chaterleys lover
November 19, 2021, 2:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DB

Just a thought.

Clubs will always find a way round it, and rightly so. The clubs that are better funded, better run, have bigger crowds and increased marketing income deserve to be able to use that income on the best players. Also if a billionaire has a dream for Brigg Town to get to the Premier league then good luck to them.

For JS to be pushing for equality all round when we are in non-league seems perverse to me; we are competing with very small clubs in the main, with a handful of clubs able to match our size. It would be the same whatever division we were in to be fair, but it would be slightly more understandable if we had to compete with say Sunderland and Portsmouth or Sheffield Wed.

In any event it is daydreaming to think football will ever be reduced to a level financial playing field.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 68
Maringer
November 19, 2021, 2:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,488
Gold Stars: 185
In the early years of the game, before professionalism was allowed, the players (who had often spontaneously decided to move down to Grimsby from Scotland) tended to have suspiciously well-paid jobs at the businesses of the fish merchants who were also the directors of the club. Funny that.

Not sure if it would be quite as easy to get away with it these days unless one or two MPs are any good at footy?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 68
Mariner93er
November 19, 2021, 2:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Pretty sure it’s easy to get around a salary cap with appearance fees and other performance bonuses that you can essentially set the bar very low for. I’d think a salary cap only applies to the fixed salary not any extras.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 68
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Another injury

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.