gytone
November 18, 2021, 10:04pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Epworth Mariner
This thread is about injuries…… or that’s what is said??

Going back to the injuries theme, I watched the inside training video and didn't notice Sousa, saw Taylor and Crookes, could it be Sousa whose injured.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 68
Northbank Mariner
November 18, 2021, 10:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from gytone

Going back to the injuries theme, I watched the inside training video and didn't notice Sousa, saw Taylor and Crookes, could it be Sousa whose injured.

Sousa was there but I'm sure I never saw LJL, did anybody else??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 68
denni266
November 18, 2021, 10:56pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +634
Gold Stars: 128
Quoted from chaos33
I didn’t tell you to go away. I remarked that you always seem so negative and suggested that you might consider alternatives in which you can find some balance and/or fulfilment. I’ve never seen you post anything remotely positive.

Look harder then
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 68
DB
November 19, 2021, 4:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,880
Gold Stars: 383
The way around a salary cap is for a player to have a second job. I believe Newcastle did this years ago with Alan Shearer who worked for Scottish and Newcastle Brewery.

Just a thought.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 68
jamesgtfc
November 19, 2021, 9:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from DB
The way around a salary cap is for a player to have a second job. I believe Newcastle did this years ago with Alan Shearer who worked for Scottish and Newcastle Brewery.

Just a thought.

Or pay their wife £2k a week to work in McMennemys.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 68
moosey_club
November 19, 2021, 2:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from DB

Just a thought.

We did it with Gally in the 90's  , he had a similar job with a brewery , not sure what but was often seen visiting the pubs during the week.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 68
lew chaterleys lover
November 19, 2021, 2:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from DB

Just a thought.

Clubs will always find a way round it, and rightly so. The clubs that are better funded, better run, have bigger crowds and increased marketing income deserve to be able to use that income on the best players. Also if a billionaire has a dream for Brigg Town to get to the Premier league then good luck to them.

For JS to be pushing for equality all round when we are in non-league seems perverse to me; we are competing with very small clubs in the main, with a handful of clubs able to match our size. It would be the same whatever division we were in to be fair, but it would be slightly more understandable if we had to compete with say Sunderland and Portsmouth or Sheffield Wed.

In any event it is daydreaming to think football will ever be reduced to a level financial playing field.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 68
Maringer
November 19, 2021, 2:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
In the early years of the game, before professionalism was allowed, the players (who had often spontaneously decided to move down to Grimsby from Scotland) tended to have suspiciously well-paid jobs at the businesses of the fish merchants who were also the directors of the club. Funny that.

Not sure if it would be quite as easy to get away with it these days unless one or two MPs are any good at footy?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 68
Mariner93er
November 19, 2021, 2:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
Pretty sure it’s easy to get around a salary cap with appearance fees and other performance bonuses that you can essentially set the bar very low for. I’d think a salary cap only applies to the fixed salary not any extras.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Another injury

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.