MuddyWaters
November 18, 2021, 6:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,882
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from ska face

Well documented about the time of the Grist deal that Fenty insisted that any transfer fees went straight to him too, rather than to the club. Was one of his “red lines” & wouldn’t budge.

So whereas 1878 are happy to pay him at £500k a year of their own cash, he’s still using the club as a personal piggy bank.

£250k of striker might’ve got us straight back up & his money back sooner, but we’ll never know. The cúnt.

Thanks for clarifying but even having said that, the transfer income reduces the overall debt to Fenty and we still have had massive increased revenue from gate receipts.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 68
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
November 18, 2021, 7:19pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +787
Gold Stars: 113
I think the 3 year repayment to 'him' was part of the deal, specifically done so he has a lovely income for the next 3 years for doing nothing, whereas a one off payment wouldn't have benefitted 'him' in the short term.

Yes it's all monies that as a football club owner he should write it off as a loss, but it doesn't matter how much everyone moans about it, it is what it is I'm afraid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 68
ginnywings
November 18, 2021, 8:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from devs

So why is there 6000+ expected Friday after 4 straight defeats?
Most of what is in this thread is conspiracy theory and conjecture - absolutely no basis in fact whatsoever
People taking out their frustrations with no idea what is going on

He's tried to get Bogle in - not interested
He's tried other options but for several reasons they've not come off

Look where getting Jackson, Gibson, Sisay, Williams, Rose et al got us last year - nowhere!

I think the London area clubs have a huge advantage over us - location and appeal... Grimsby is simply not an attractive place to a lot of players whether we are top or bottom

Chesterfield have paid way over the odds for Tshimanga - fair enough... but it's no guarantee of promotion and Hurst said he was not prepared to pay 250k plus his wages - 100% agree with him

Hurst could not have expected out of 4 strikers that we'd have one long-term injury; one out for 4-6 weeks; and one on cusp of always being injured.. you can't keep splashing the cash

Taylor is the type of quality player we attract now - over 30 and injury prone; we simply can't compete on so many levels for younger strikers
We are way down the pecking order - money, wages, player ambition, attractive club

It is frustrating but it's the modern game I'm afraid

Four strikers? If only.

We haven't got four strikers. We have Taylor, who is excellent, then we have Lenny, who will give his all for the cause but can't exactly be described as prolific and missed out on pre season due to injury. He was then thrown in when Taylor and McAtee were out and has struggled to make an impact. McAtee is not an out and out striker and neither is Grant. Sure both could 'do a job' there but we still have a vacant No 9 shirt and we are a quarter of the way though the season with no signing in sight.

We are not privy to the ins and outs of player acquisition but I do know from what I've gleaned while working at the ground that PH is tireless in his knowledge and information gathering on players. He certainly puts the hours in on the phone to clubs and agents and travelling to watch midweek games.

I don't think it's for want of trying that we can't seem to pin the right recruits down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 68
jamesgtfc
November 18, 2021, 8:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from HerveJosse

There has never been a statement that Fentys  loan will be paid with ‘personal cash’ either formally in the takeover documents or informally. The loan is to Grimsby Town Limited ie the club and it is its legal  obligation to repay it. The only nuance is that if GTFC cant pay there is guarantee to repay it from 1878 partners Limited a shell company with a share capital  of i£2 whose only asset is its shareholding in GTFC. So there is nothing visible or as far as I am aware anything stated by the the new owners that indicates anything other then the loan needs to repaid out of the trading receipts of GTFC whether gate receipts or incoming transfer fees. If they voluntary intend to inject new funds to repay Fenty and use the clubs unexpectedly enhanced income to fund investment or new player signings they would be free to say so.
In the abscence  of any statement on the matter one can only deduce the position from other actions. In a positive direction we can see investment in the training ground and minor investment at Blundell Park. How significant this is is unknown.In the other direction we have question marks over possible new investment in the squad when needed.
The most telling point for me is the apparent support for a salary cap in the National League. That in my opinion would be a disaster for our club. While
nothing is settled yet on the level of salary cap for players wages for next season the suggested figure is £900k. That is very small beer for a club with gates of 6000 and would play into the hands of the poorly supported south east clubs in this division who can attract semi professional players of some quality who hold a second well paid job or who have plastic pitches.
We are a big fish in this league why dilute our advantage if the objective  is to get out of this league and to a higher level where further investment will be required.

I'm interested to hear Jasons' vision of a salary cap. I've said that the flat cap of £900k will push transfer fees up because clubs like ourselves with gates much larger than others in the division will have excess income.

I agree that there should be a cap but it should be a percentage of certain income. The reason I say certain income is because it will prevent owners naming stadiums after hotels on the other side of the country that they own for an over inflated sum.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 68
ginnywings
November 18, 2021, 8:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I'm interested to hear Jasons' vision of a salary cap. I've said that the flat cap of £900k will push transfer fees up because clubs like ourselves with gates much larger than others in the division will have excess income.

I agree that there should be a cap but it should be a percentage of certain income. The reason I say certain income is because it will prevent owners naming stadiums after hotels on the other side of the country that they own for an over inflated sum.

All the more reason to get recruiting better quality players this season, so they are on pre existing contracts if/when the cap comes in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 68
MuddyWaters
November 18, 2021, 8:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,882
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I understood that the salary cap has been voted for already. Therefore we either push to get promoted this season or, next season, have the same spending power as every other team in the league with the undoubted pulling power of being miles from anywhere with the nightlife of Cleethorpes as an added bonus.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 68
dapperz fun pub
November 18, 2021, 9:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
That salary cap kills us big time I didn’t even know their was one 🤷 maybe signing on fees could get round it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 68
lew chaterleys lover
November 18, 2021, 9:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
That salary cap kills us big time I didn’t even know their was one 🤷 maybe signing on fees could get round it

There will always be  a way round it. A legal challenge is always a possibility as some clubs will see their advantages negated. We will have to accept fierce financial competition is part of football and get on with it and compete.

Private Message
Reply: 57 - 68
dapperz fun pub
November 18, 2021, 9:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81

There will always be  a way round it. A legal challenge is always a possibility as some clubs will see their advantages negated. We will have to accept fierce financial competition is part of football and get on with it and compete.

Will it based on turnover per club or just straight on figure and that’s it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 68
Epworth Mariner
November 18, 2021, 9:36pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +646
Gold Stars: 57
This thread is about injuries…… or that’s what is said??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Another injury

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.